General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena Momentum Helmet - Any feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:19 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Just posted this on a different forum...FYI:
Got a chance to test the helmet today. No epic ride, but I don't think it was necessary for the test.. I did an 8-mile loop, 50% interstate- 3 times. On the interstate, speed ranged 65-75 mph.The first and last runs were with the Sena (without plugs) and the second run was with the GT Air (with plugs). Let me preface this by saying I already have hearing loss, tinnitus and more sensitive ears than someone with intact hearing. I also have been wearingear plugs 100% of the time since my ear troubles manifested (March of last year). Lastly, I probably came into this with unrealistic expectations.

In short, I am disappointed. With the INC mode engaged (and all vents closed), it sounded pretty loud to me. I toggled between INC mode on/off a number of times while riding and the there is a significant reduction in overall noise while in INC mode, but not significant enough to make me comfortable riding for any extended period. The helmet buffeting, engine noise (at about 3.5k+) and as well as wind around neck area were noticeble (bothersome) to me. Although the fit was overall good, it isn't as snug as my GT Air (or C3 Pro) for that matter, which is a little more snug on the cheeks and better neck seal. Don't get me wrong, the INC helmet definitely reduces overall noise while riding, but I still feel very vulnerable in terms of decibel exposure. I believe Sena rated the INC helmet at 75 dB at 65 mph. I'm not willing to go on this and run the risk of further hearing loss/worsening
Tinnitus, especially if it sounds loud "to me".

This unfortunately will not be my go-to helmet while riding cross-country later this Spring. I'll either take the GT Air or C3 Pro. As I'm sure you all realize, this is only one persons experience with this helmet and my circumstances might be vastly different from others. I don't want to disssuade anybody.

The following 3 users liked this post by DaveNBPT:
jlb2782 (03-31-2018), Sanjuro (04-06-2018), TomBe (02-13-2020)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 AM
adiddik
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the review. Im awaiting the EU release of the INC, which is already a couple of weeks behind the US. Depending how the weather looks, I may opt for the Pro if that comes out soon enough

I'm not expecting earplug level of DBs, just a noticeable difference compared to most standard helmets. Would that be a satisfied requirement in your opinion?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Just posted this on a different forum...FYI:
Got a chance to test the helmet today. No epic ride, but I don't think it was necessary for the test.. I did an 8-mile loop, 50% interstate- 3 times. On the interstate, speed ranged 65-75 mph.The first and last runs were with the Sena (without plugs) and the second run was with the GT Air (with plugs). Let me preface this by saying I already have hearing loss, tinnitus and more sensitive ears than someone with intact hearing. I also have been wearingear plugs 100% of the time since my ear troubles manifested (March of last year). Lastly, I probably came into this with unrealistic expectations.

In short, I am disappointed. With the INC mode engaged (and all vents closed), it sounded pretty loud to me. I toggled between INC mode on/off a number of times while riding and the there is a significant reduction in overall noise while in INC mode, but not significant enough to make me comfortable riding for any extended period. The helmet buffeting, engine noise (at about 3.5k+) and as well as wind around neck area were noticeble (bothersome) to me. Although the fit was overall good, it isn't as snug as my GT Air (or C3 Pro) for that matter, which is a little more snug on the cheeks and better neck seal. Don't get me wrong, the INC helmet definitely reduces overall noise while riding, but I still feel very vulnerable in terms of decibel exposure. I believe Sena rated the INC helmet at 75 dB at 65 mph. I'm not willing to go on this and run the risk of further hearing loss/worsening
Tinnitus, especially if it sounds loud "to me".

This unfortunately will not be my go-to helmet while riding cross-country later this Spring. I'll either take the GT Air or C3 Pro. As I'm sure you all realize, this is only one persons experience with this helmet and my circumstances might be vastly different from others. I don't want to disssuade anybody.

Thanks. Good to know. I was very interested in the noise cancelling of this helmet... Maybe I'll give it a go anyway, but maybe use plugs that let a bit more sound in. That way I'll have some noise cancelling from the helmet and maybe be able to still hear ambient noised with the amplify feature.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by adiddik
Thanks for the review. Im awaiting the EU release of the INC, which is already a couple of weeks behind the US. Depending how the weather looks, I may opt for the Pro if that comes out soon enough

I'm not expecting earplug level of DBs, just a noticeable difference compared to most standard helmets. Would that be a satisfied requirement in your opinion?

Thanks
I wasn't expecting earplug level of dB reduction either, but I was hoping it would be more quiet than it is. But, "quiet" is definitely subjective and my ears are probably more sensitive than most. For the average person who doesn't wear plugs who is looking for a relatively quiet helmet, I'd say go for it. Had I known what I know now, I probably would have stuck with my current lids + plugs. I had an appointment with an Audiologist today and brought the Sena INC helmet with me. This guy is an avid motorcyclist as well. He seemed to think that there was not enough ear isolation(ie. cups) or seal to the helmet to block out extraneous noise. He thought in my case, I'd best wear plugs with that helmet. He thought the helmet is a great idea, a good helmet, but not quite there yet.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by adiddik

Thanks
I wasn't expecting earplug level of dB reduction either, but I was hoping it would be more quiet than it is. But, "quiet" is definitely subjective and my ears are probably more sensitive than most. For the average person who doesn't wear plugs who is looking for a relatively quiet helmet, I'd say go for it. Had I known what I know now, I probably would have stuck with my current lids + plugs. I had an appointment with an Audiologist today and brought the Sena INC helmet with me. This guy is an avid motorcyclist as well. He seemed to think that there was not enough ear isolation(ie. cups) or seal to the helmet to block out extraneous noise. He thought in my case, I'd best wear plugs with that helmet. He thought the helmet is a great idea, a good helmet, but not quite there yet.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:42 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Any other experiences? They have the Momentum INC on Amazon for $466 right now and I was thinking about getting one. I too wear ear plugs and was hoping I could use this on long trips to avoid the irritation of long term earplug usage.