General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Sturgis Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:52 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nibroc
55 is the speed limit on the interstate and both feet down at a stop sign or get searched
And don't park in a no parking zone, even for a few minutes. Cops will stop you for anything to check for DUI's. As another person mentioned, lots of people there who are not experienced riders. I went for the 75th anniversary and I couldn't believe how many bad riders were there. I must have seen 6 or 7 accidents in the 5 days I was there.

All in all though, I had a great time. Don't be stupid and you won't have a problem.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Plenty of fun to be had and if you want to open her up the interstate speed limit is 80. Good luck.
Which they strictly enforce. I got pulled over for going 84 MPH. And the Sturgis cops are looking to generate revenue and make a lot of dui arrests. So tread carefully.

Doing a road report on the Black Hills here -
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...ack-hills.html

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
Campy Roadie (01-21-2018), roadkinglobo (01-23-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Reservations ASAP. I've done it a few months out and still almost didn't manage. Yellowstone is worse.

Cops don't mess around that time of year, they're looking for any reason at all to pull you over. The area goes from having less than 10,000 people living there to 500,000-730,000 people. It doesn't take much for that to get out of control. You'll see cops crack down harder when you're still a state or two over. They'll pull you over for 2 mph over.

Lot of wildlife out there, you're not going to see too much of it during Sturgis, least in comparison. Where there is one deer there is two. Cows are stupid, and Bison are way quicker than you'd expect when they want to be. Never forget they are wild even in a touristy area.

There are some great roads out there, don't expect more than puttzing on them though with the Strugis crowd there. Check out Deadwood.

Tip well, the locals, even two states over, have to put up with a lot of stupid that time of year.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 01-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

Talked to a gal at the Hill City visitor center. She said it was amazing how fast the riders are flying around after sundown. She said the area is loaded with large animals and rally riders are oblivious to the fact.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 PM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Going for the first time this year too. Managed to get a good deal on a hotel for 5 nights in Rapid City. Riding the area the week before and just planning to attend the first day of the rally to check it out. For me, it’s more about the ride and less about the craziness. Hoping the local riding won’t be quite as busy the week before the rally.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,787 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If you're not choosy, you can sleep in someone's yard a block away from the downtown action (for a small fee) like I did this past year. If that doesn't look comfy or warm enough (high 30s for the lows at night) you better find a place to stay and nail it down quick. Break out that wallet because everything is expensive at any rally, especially Sturgis.

I did this years ago ... I was younger and it was "funner" :>)

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Watch the curves. Ran across one that tried to take out a guard rail. Shipped him home in a box. Also came up on a crutch rocket that went head on into a Tri Glide on a tight curve.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Be sure to take a good rain suit with you because at some point you are likely to need it. We hit rain torrential rain storms on the way up, and on the way back. I was sure proud I had my HIVIS rain suit with me. A nice waterproof bag is also helpful for storing clothes and other things you want to stay dry. We found water proof bags at the local Army/Navy surplus and they worked great and fit well on my Ultra's luggage rack.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

The buffalo deserve your utmost respect. They are big!. We were riding back from Rushmore one afternoon and one was ten feet from the road, looked like a big brown rock. Pop up hailstorms are the norm out there. Most of all enjoy yourself and follow their laws.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Yellowstone is more like 7-7.5 hours from Sturgis.

Originally Posted by Mac10
We booked in a campground yesterday called no Rushmore. It's three miles outside Sturgis. We planned for a ten day trip. Most of us are riding out of Myrtle Beach SC which is about 1850 miles. We're planning on at least three days there and back. We also are talking about visiting Yellowstone which I believe is about six hours. Talked about this for years so should be a great time. Thanks for the replies

The following users liked this post:
Mac10 (01-21-2018)

Quick Reply: First Sturgis Trip