Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   First Sturgis Trip (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1215289-first-sturgis-trip.html)

Mac10 01-20-2018 07:36 PM

First Sturgis Trip

Trying to plan to go to this years Sturgis bike week with some others. What's some good advice on goin? Dos and donts, any other advice. Thanks

kojak 01-20-2018 07:56 PM

I've been to the general area several times over the last 20 years, good riding all around. I stopped going bike week after the first time, its like Daytona but much more spread out with much better scenery. Have you decided where you are staying? You've got a large area to choose from but places nearby sell out pretty quick right about now.

Bricklayer 01-20-2018 08:19 PM

What are your plans for accommodations,camping-hotel if you're hoteling it you need to make reservations now.

ChickinOnaChain 01-20-2018 08:25 PM

Don't trailer your bike. If you do, don't tell anyone. :)

FLSTFI Dave 01-20-2018 09:01 PM

I always ride to Trailer week Stugis.

Lots of great rides and things to see in the area, just know half the bikes there are not riders, and are a hazard to themselves and everyone else.

Needles Hwy, Iron Mountains are both great rides and good scenery. Spearfish Canyon and Vanocker Canyon are also good rides. Do not miss a ride though the Bad Lands. Another popular ride is out to Devils tour which is very unique.
The Custer Wild life loop you will see lots of Buffalo and other animals.

Main Street Daytona is a good party area and vendors. Deawood is also cool, especial the bar with the send story where you can watch the bikes on the street. The Buffalo chip is a very big draw.

indiandave 01-21-2018 08:21 AM

I’m jealous. I’d love to go but I don’t have the time. How long do you have to make the trip? It would be worth taking your time to get out there.

Uncle Larry 01-21-2018 08:24 AM

Mac, over the years I've found that there are a lot of "Winter Planners" who'll be first on the list to go but as time grows near they can ( and many times do ) bail out. Make a plan set a date and go ... go no matter who does or doesn't show up when it's time to hop on the scooter and ride.

BuzzCap7 01-21-2018 08:27 AM

There are a bazillion places to go but this is what I do......

I go about 2 wks b4 or after Sturgiss since it gets WICKED PACKED with bikers and u can't ride ANYWHERE!!

I am there to ride...........not sit in traffic.

Now, if u don't care and u want to just party, then you are in for 1 HELL of a GREAT party.

I think some day I may rent a house downtown and get drunk ALL day and just stagger around. THAT seems like fun.

Otherwise, if u want to ride the roads and see a LOT of stuff, go early or go after the packed roads thin out.

If u want a list of things (places/roads) to go, u can find it on the internet. Or ask here and I am sure you will get great list of things to do and places to go.

I usually spend 7-10 days doing stuff out there. Like it so much, I brought 'me wife and she loved it.......

Take PIXs man, u r in for a GREAT GREAT time!!

BuzzCap7

ConfuciusSay 01-21-2018 08:29 AM

PM sent

Architect 01-21-2018 08:31 AM

Do the speed limit or lets say 5 MPH over at most. Lots of cops out there looking for someone to do something stupid, don't be that guy. I got real lucky in '16 with a written warning for doing 11MPH over the posted 55 MPH. End of the day he was looking for a DWI and I was not that guy. But it was 30 minutes on the side of the road, stupid human tricks the entire show. Not a good time at all. Plenty of fun to be had and if you want to open her up the interstate speed limit is 80. Good luck.