General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Selling" a trip to the wife

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:10 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts
Default "Selling" a trip to the wife

She's given me full reign to plan us a trip in late March. She says she doesn't care where we go but she wants no kids and she wants a minimum of 3 days. Her only stipulations are as follows:

-no long bike trips
-no taking the boat

she knows I love the Tx hill-country, and pretty much expects that's where we will be going and is fine with it. She hasn't ruled out trailering the bike out there, which is what I'm planning on. I would love a spring trip to Caddo lake for some bass fishing but that's not in the cards apparently either lol.

shes never ridden with me a whole lot in the past because my bikes have all been chops, and rigids and she has always had a bit of a bad back. She rode my pops EGlide a few years ago and while she said it wasnt what she considered "comfy" she didn't hate it. It just had a stock 2 up seat and small back rest. She has not yet been on the Street Glide because I got it a couple months ago and frankly, the weather has been undesirable or she's had other stuff going on when I go ride. No biggie. A late March trip to west central Tx should remedy both problems. I have already gotten a gel cover for my rear seat that looks super comfy and plan on trying out as soon as we get a chance. I've gotten a "day bag" type bag that slips over the back rest and gives a lot of extra storage for items that we need to get to easily. But I'm wondering, would it be worth trying to get ahold of a tour pack with the big back rest for her? I'm basically afraid of putting the $ out there and her hating it anyway. I'm only planning 100-150mi rides at a time once we get there and we will probably ride a day or day and a half out of the 3-4 we are there.

We we are renting a house and will he driving her Yukon XL. Should have plenty of room and be plenty comfortable. Any advice on making the bike ride a little more pleasurable for her?

Last edited by 67Shuv; 01-26-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:31 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

It starts with replacing the SG seat with a touring seat. Next is to replace the 12" rear shocks with a quality 13" coil over shock. Supply her with a quality mid height back rest and Airhawk II seat pad. Start trips with no more then 200 miles per day and build from there.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,539 Posts

You may want to practice that 100-150 mile day to see how your wife's back holds up. My wife's got so bad that 150 miles one day would put her in bed the next.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:59 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

We plan on making some short rides around the house to dinner and such so she has some time between runs just to feel how everything's going. It certainly won't be 100+mi in one shot, more like 25 to 40 depending on where we're going exactly. I definitely don't plan on doing it in one shot. I'm hoping if I take her to some places she wants to go, just on the bike, it will allow her to enjoy the whole day more and for her it won't be so much about the ride, but maybe the shopping or antiques etc... whatever she wants to go do. I'll just be an ugly chauffeur at that point (not much different that the usual haha)
O

Old 01-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

The Bahamas is nice this time of year. She'll appreciate that you can plan a vacation without the bike being a part of it.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Get in a good ride, get’er home and do’er like the naughty girl she can be. “But Honey, you’re so hot on the bike, I just couldn’t help myself!” Good to go!

The following users liked this post:
67Shuv (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
It starts with replacing the SG seat with a touring seat. Next is to replace the 12" rear shocks with a quality 13" coil over shock. Supply her with a quality mid height back rest and Airhawk II seat pad. Start trips with no more then 200 miles per day and build from there.

For comfort and no money restraints the above is the angle, except me, I'd add a (removable) tour pack with the built in backrest. The upholstery being in a C shape also helps make the pass feel like there more contained-secure (won't just plop off the side).. lol

Old 01-26-2018, 02:07 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Originally Posted by Labrador
The Bahamas is nice this time of year. She'll appreciate that you can plan a vacation without the bike being a part of it.
Touché. She does want to ride, just has been apprehensive to, and if the short rides close to home don't work out well, I have no problem leaving the bike at the house for a long weekend. But if it looks like something she will enjoy, I'd be inclined to drag it the 6 or so hours depending on where exactly we end up. If it works out great, if it doesn't, that's perfectly fine too. I've ridden primarily by myself for 20yrs.

Originally Posted by Rude dog
For comfort and no money restraints the above is the angle, except me, I'd add a (removable) tour pack with the built in backrest. The upholstery being in a C shape also helps make the pass feel like there more contained-secure (won't just plop off the side).. lol
The bike already has docking hardware, so adding one and taking it off will be just that easy.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

If this is a trial run....
1) get a nice seat for her, change the one that is there now.
2) borrow and I do mean borrow a tour pak from a friend, hell of an expense if she hates biking....you will already have the docking n the SG.
3) Find a nice hotel that has a hot tub and a nice restaurant nearby
4) make your day trips short and have a destination in mind.
Enjoy your wife and trip.....

Been there done that!!!!

Last edited by giacomo56; 01-26-2018 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sunderhill (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Why not rent a LTD for a weekend and see how she likes it. Then you can go from there.
My wife didn’t like the softail, but she loves the LTD.
Wish I had waited for the 17’s. LOL

Quick Reply: "Selling" a trip to the wife