General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-leather riding jackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:49 AM
klup
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

I have been using the Bohn armor pants and shirt with armor now for two years I have the all season farbic and it breathes well in Missouri summers

Old 02-04-2018, 03:24 AM
jusa
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Take a look at Rukka. They are not cheap, but worth every cent. Rukka gear cover all riding seasons / weathers, pants and jackets have "intelligent" comfortable armour and low key no-nonsense style. I highly recommend.

http://www.rukka.com/motorsport

Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 17VelRedSGS
I'm curious if anyone has a favorite make/model of non-leather riding jacket. I've been rocking my Joe Rocket for (literally) a couple decades now and thinking about trying out something a little lighter. I imagine with the evolution of textiles that these now offer protection comparable (or at least closer) to full leather.
Rukka Airman. Flows air like a mesh jacket but has a removable water proof Gortex/Outlast liner for the rain and/or cold. I’ve worn it in every kind of weather, single digits to 110 degrees.

Last edited by Wowser; 02-04-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Vanson.

Removable armor, add the liner for when it's cool, leather vest when it's cold.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM
sellbor
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've changed to leather but it's hard to beat the Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket I used to have. Good for Rain, cold, and hot with lots of vents.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Tinker55
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want some seriously good stuff: check out Rukka.
By far not the cheapest but I have been using their gear for over a decade now and it still almost like new, despite some serious use over the years.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

I've got a Scorpion Yosemite. Awesome venting and well put together. I'd also check out Olympia.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a HD textile jacket. I went down in a round about with it on. Helmet rashed and had to be replaced immediately.

Jacket - couldn't even tell anything happened. Very impressed with how it held up. Warm-ish. I wear a hoodie under if if riding below 40 degrees. Have worn it with a hoodie to 28 and was chilled tho. Needed more.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Klim makes really good textile jackets. Pictures do not do them justice. When you see one in person, the quality shows. Too bad the prices cost as much as a decent leather jacket from vanson or Schott.
If Klims bike gear is anything like their sled gear, I highly recommend it. Never seen their bike stuff though. Other than a helmet, I am head to toe Klim on my sled.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I have an early fxrg that I wear but pulled the armor because it is so darn heavy. I have and Stitch R3 that I am going to sell--I just prefer 2 piece. I should get an Olympia Expedition tomorrow-Revzilla has them down to 240. I did look long and hard at the FXRG textile but passed. I like the fact that Olympia stuff has a hood. I have some old Firstgear pants that I wear all the time. I bought them used as a test and I love the darn things. I take the winter liner out and use scrub pants under them in summer. I like a full length zip. Except for the R3 I prefer a rainsuit instead of goretex. I really like the HD suit I bought--I could get the lower in a diff size to match my short legs in the model I bought and it has done a great job in some nasty stuff. I read all the reviews on Revzilla and the equipment section on the advrider forum (search ) is a place that I have found some experienced opinions that I considered helpful. Their marketplace has been good to me, too. They have a lot of quality gear move through there but HD branded stuff is rare. I got a pair of gtx Sidi road boots for half price and they were like new--not any more. One thing about textile is the heavy duty stuff really climbs in price--way out of my ability to pay.

Quick Reply: Non-leather riding jackets