General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Pkwy closing for........

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

quoted from cosmic razorback's post;

P.S. you still have not got to the Linn Cove Viaduct. If it is still closed no big deal. I remember when they were building it. Back in the 80's we had to get off the Parkway and go around anyway because there was no road there! Just look at it as an opportunity to go to Grand Father Mountain and cross the mile high swinging bridge.

Actually when I'm in that area, I get off the Parkway and head North on US221 toward Blowin' Rock. There is a stretch of road through there that has a neat group of curves that are fun to whip back and forth thru at speed.
Either way to or from the Linn Cove entrance is great to 'whip' the curves.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:58 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Heading to Gatlinburg in June and plan on hitting the BRP. Won’t be on my bike but should still be a good time. Hopefully it’s open

Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
we have plans for mid-June ride down Skyline Drive and BRP.... hoping things will be open and clear. What kind of weather to expect?? Hot?? Rainy? nice??

And you're right....we do have some of the crappiest roads around..... just hate the spring for that reason.
That is a good time to come on down. Rainy season should be over. At elevation it will be 10 degrees or more cooler. Even when its hot, its pretty nice on the parkway.

Originally Posted by drcollie
It takes a very long time to ride Skyline / Blue Ridge to Pigeon Forge, and you will get tired of the curves, which are never-ending. I've done the full run one time and it was a bit much.

What the Blue Ridge is really good for is the heat of summer. It can be high heat / high humidity on the highways in the valleys, and as soon as you get up in the mountains its 10 to 14 degrees less in air temp. That makes a big difference when its 100 degrees out.
I have never got tired of Curves, they are what riding is all about. Straight gets boring in about 10 minutes. I love never ending curves.

As for a motorhome, your on a bike, they are easy to pass. I fully agree on the temperature.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
YES!!!

That is a good time to come. In the summer we can find 10 degree cooler temps min from our house to the Parkway. It is a beautiful ride even when it is raining. Slow safe pace with 45mph speed limit.
I usually set cruise at 50 mph, 5 over they usually do not mess with you. Its a very beautiful ride for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:03 PM
TBagger
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Love all the comments on the road conditions on the parkway. We ride up from SC several times throughout the season. There are spots where road surfaces need to be improved, so maintenance is a good thing. Even if your detouring its great country to ride in. I'm a Michigander as well (Damn Yankee) and the roads on or around the BRP are far better than up that way.

Last edited by TBagger; 02-17-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

All I was doing was enlightening 'early' BRP riders to road conditions that might cause some concern. The detours are always clearly marked and one traveling the BRP misses some things they would want to see, (ie) the Linn Cove Viaduct for one.

They are good about getting the road open, unless there is a major slide or other mishap.
There is new asphalt on miles of the road and more is scheduled to be paved. It just takes time.