General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surface coating finishes (IGL Coatings)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:31 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 763 Posts

IGL makes paint coatings. wax, sealants, coatings 3 totally different products that do the same thing. Good, better, best.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Back to IGL coatings, top notch. For 3 bills have him do it and report back
I was mistaken. It is actually $350, but still, if it does what he claims, I'm in.

A friend of mine had his Viper done and swears by it. The detailer told me it should last about 4-years depending on exposure conditions.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

$350 is still a bargain. Follow proper washing/ techniques and you will be extremely happy with it.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Classic 10
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

eaglefan1 I have been researching coatings recently; couldn't believe there were so many out there when I started this and trying to discern which ones are good or bad is a challenge. I have examined a lot of guys saying why they prefer waxes or coatings and various brands and have looked at many pros/cons & reviews. It would appear to me that you have had as much personal experience with a broad range of products as just about anybody so I have a question for you.

I am leaning strong to the Polish Angel High Gloss but that product has been praised mainly for what it does for black, I have a '17 Ultra Limited blue/gray color scheme; will it be as good for that color or is there another brand that is better with the lighter colors to really make it pop and still protect as well?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Classic, I bought the high gloss for my bike which is vivid black. The only other vehicle I have tried it on is the wife's CTS which is silver with a ton of metal flake in it and is coated with 22PLE.
High gloss defiantly seemed to bring out more gloss on the bike then the car but the 2 have different coatings on them. Silver to me, isn't a color you get a lot of gloss out of, more of a pop from the metal flake, at least the CTS silver anyway.
The high gloss description does not state for "Black paint only", so Im sure it could be used on your bike if you wanted to.
You could always send them a email and ask what they would recommend for your paint color. I know they can make Cosmic for certain paint colors.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:22 AM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

EagleFan, I have been using Klasse sealer for a while now with great results. In your opinion how would you rate it? There are soooo many products out there all claiming to be the next holy grail. Makes it hard to decide.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

If you like it keep using it. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
If you want to try something different there are tons of stuff out there. Just have to narrow down what you are looking for and what matters most to you

Old 05-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
$350 is still a bargain. Follow proper washing/ techniques and you will be extremely happy with it.
+1 I had my new RKS done as well as my newly painted FatBoy. Paid slightly more but extremely happy with the result.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Classic 10
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Eaglefan1 thanks. I didn’t mean to say or imply (although it kinda looks that way lol) that I thought it was only for black; it’s just that that is the only color I think I’ve seen mentioned with that product. And I suppose it’s the blue part of my bike that I think about really standing out. But I’m also looking at spending a little less time cleaning as I still work full time and put about 15k/yr (Winter too) on it and clean it pretty much every week. If a good quality coating can help with that w/o breaking the bank, I’m in.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Classic, no worries brother. Lots of good quality coatings that are easy to apply. Optimum gloss coat is a quality product that is super easy to apply. Ive had customers get 2yrs out of it on cars that sit outside 24/7
If you want to do a sealant and want easy, Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a winner. Put it on, no buff off. I do 3-4 coats on vehicles and get 6 months out of.
Gyeon has Wet Coat, spray on, rinse off. Sonax PNS that is a high quality product thats probably as close to a coating as you can get without being a coating.

So what is most important to you. Longevity, price or ease of application if doing it yourself?
Also, whatever coating you purchase you will probably have enough leftover to do a car also

Quick Reply: Surface coating finishes (IGL Coatings)