General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two (2) New Sportster Models.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:49 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

The fun of riding a sportsers is the way the bike feels it's not fast, it's not slow but it is definitely fun to ride. I have had a custom a 48 and a 1200T and my wife and I loved them. It's hard to get some people to give them a chance but once they do 9 out of 10 fall in love with them.i remember giving a guy we know a bad time about his sportsers and he would always say I love them...I know now what he was talking about. but boy was I close minded back then... glad I grew up and gave them a chance

Old 02-25-2018, 01:10 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
The fun of riding a sportsers is the way the bike feels it's not fast, it's not slow but it is definitely fun to ride. I have had a custom a 48 and a 1200T and my wife and I loved them. It's hard to get some people to give them a chance but once they do 9 out of 10 fall in love with them.i remember giving a guy we know a bad time about his sportsers and he would always say I love them...I know now what he was talking about. but boy was I close minded back then... glad I grew up and gave them a chance
Yeah.....somewhere along the line "fast" became the necessary requirement a motorcycle to some. Sometimes it's just nice to ride a good all around standard that just feels god to ride. I have a little Sportster experience and I like them.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:24 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Yeah.....somewhere along the line "fast" became the necessary requirement a motorcycle to some. Sometimes it's just nice to ride a good all around standard that just feels god to ride. I have a little Sportster experience and I like them.
With the technology available today (and yesterday) NONE of the Harleys should be considered "fast". Not even the beloved V Rod. Making a Harley fast is an expensive yet barely useful task. Just buy the faster metrics if it's all about speed.

The last bike I would consider for a really quick bike with great handling is a Harley. Even the Sportster which I believe is the best Harley made because they didn't mess with it too much. My Ultra had THREE recalls I sold it privately after two. I didn't get hammered on the price because the guy was trying to make a deal with Harley for my exact bike when his wife saw mine on Craigslist. He paid me all the money and still saved over $2000 in extra set up and dealer fees.. My bike had 900 miles on it. Too big, too bulky and way under powered 103.

If I was a tourer I would buy a Sport-Touring bike like the ST, Concours, or the Yamaha. Those are fast well-handling tourers.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

i don't care about speed. call my bike slow if you want, it'll still get me from 0 to speeding ticket in about 3 seconds...

The following users liked this post:
TenMidgets (02-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
With the technology available today (and yesterday) NONE of the Harleys should be considered "fast". Not even the beloved V Rod. Making a Harley fast is an expensive yet barely useful task. Just buy the faster metrics if it's all about speed.

The last bike I would consider for a really quick bike with great handling is a Harley. Even the Sportster which I believe is the best Harley made because they didn't mess with it too much. My Ultra had THREE recalls I sold it privately after two. I didn't get hammered on the price because the guy was trying to make a deal with Harley for my exact bike when his wife saw mine on Craigslist. He paid me all the money and still saved over $2000 in extra set up and dealer fees.. My bike had 900 miles on it. Too big, too bulky and way under powered 103.

If I was a tourer I would buy a Sport-Touring bike like the ST, Concours, or the Yamaha. Those are fast well-handling tourers.
It all depends on what you are looking for out of a bike. Sounds like speed is up on your list, which is absolutely fine. I like fast bikes too.

As far as a Touring bike - I have my SGS and it has been excellent. I have 30k (basically) trouble free miles. (clutch fried - covered under warranty). For us it's a great touring bike. We can have whatever we want, and we see no reason to change out of our current bike because it does it's job so well.

I do like the sport touring bikes too. I'm looking for either a Triumph Sprint 1050, an Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST4s, possibly a Ninja 1000, or FJ09. Those will be in state, tearing it up bikes. At 6-4/210, most sport touring bikes aren't cross country bikes for me. And Cheryl won't be caught dead on one. She's dyed in the wool Harley chick.

But my point - if you want fast, Harley isn't the bike to look at. But if you just want a great all around standard - the Sportster is a nice option.

The following users liked this post:
TenMidgets (02-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 PM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have a 2003 883R, 2009 XR1200, 2008 XB12XT Ulysses, 2014 XL1200T Superlow, 2016 Roadster and I had a 2011 XL1200L that was traded in on the 14 T.

I took the 1200's all over the US and Canada over the years. Got me home every time. They ride, corner handle, brake as well as any bike that I have had in my 62 years of riding. The 11 XL went to Sturgis twice, the XB12XT took me 9K miles in 14 day to the Arctic Circle and back in 14 days. The XL1200T has done winter riding since the winter of 14/15 and at least half of the states west of the Mississippi.

The XB is 103 hp and does 147 mph, the XR is 90 hp and does 125 mph due to its lower gearing. The other XL1200's are 65 hp but I don't know if the 16 Roadster was bumped up more than that.

They all yielded no less than 50 mpg which because I tour extensively each year is very important to me. The 883 is only ridden locally and has been in excess of 70 mpg.

They all appeal to me because they look like a motorcycle should look. I totally reject any plastic paneled Buck Rogers looking bike.

I bought the 11 XL1200 used for $7,200 put 7K miles on it and traded it in for 7,200 which saved me 7.75 percent sales take on that amount. Since I bought it privately in Illinois sales tax on a mc is a flat $25.

The other will not be sold or traded with the exception of the T. It was my plan to trade for a new T at 30K miles or so but the T is no more. They will be distributed in my will.

From where I stand the Sportster is an exceptional bike in looks and durability. I have the models that I have because together they represent the best of the line. If I were to only have one the T would be it.

God bless America, God bless H-D and God bless Sportsters.

Translation:

I don't have anything useful to add to this topic but, just let me remind everyone that I own a bazillion Sportsters. I ride them a bazillion miles a year even when it's a bazillion degrees below zero. They all get a bazillion mpg because I use Unobtainium spark plugs and zero octane gas because it has a bazillion BTUs more per gallon. In addition I have been riding for a bazillion years longer than anyone else on this forum so my long experience trumps anyone else's opinion on all things Harley-Davidson.

God bless America blah blah blah ete, etc, you know the rest..........

Old 02-25-2018, 04:32 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by greggreen
Translation:

I don't have anything useful to add to this topic but, just let me remind everyone that I own a bazillion Sportsters. I ride them a bazillion miles a year even when it's a bazillion degrees below zero. They all get a bazillion mpg because I use Unobtainium spark plugs and zero octane gas because it has a bazillion BTUs more per gallon. In addition I have been riding for a bazillion years longer than anyone else on this forum so my long experience trumps anyone else's opinion on all things Harley-Davidson.

God bless America blah blah blah ete, etc, you know the rest..........
I don't know what your problem is... But I didn't see anything wrong with the guy having his say or with what he had to say. Couple of points I may even tend to agree with.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmm, I like them. Sportsters are cool and fun to ride. If I were in the market for a Sportster I would go take a look. The trade in deal is good too. Could bring in more younger riders.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Greg - Just when I thought that you had sought the professional help that you need with your emotional troubles there you go again.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I have owned Sporsters, one even with a sidecar on it. I like them, the style etc. But I don't think they hit the mark with new buyers. Some people don't want the feet forward sitting position, and want more of a Standard type seating. Like a Triumph Bonneville style. They might be surprised if they offered an entry level 1,000 cc bike like that at a decent price point. But hell, what do it know about marketing.

Quick Reply: Two (2) New Sportster Models.