Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Medallion gauge trouble speedometer (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1221728-medallion-gauge-trouble-speedometer.html)

Spec36 03-05-2018 07:49 PM

Medallion gauge trouble speedometer

Any one have any ideas what would cause my speedometer to act this way?
first off i put a new baker 6 speed in then at the same time I upgraded the dash with all new medallion Bagger gauges , the speedometer in first gear at about 20 is reading 80 or more by the time i hit 2nd Im 140 then it will go back to 0 and start coming back up slowly till about 50 or so then fall again..
I tried to calibrated pre the instructions @ 30 .. it did seam to save it till i tried to run back up to 50 then it went crazy again . I have checked my ground for that was the first thing we thought to check .
thanks for any help you may offer

Bubba Zanetti 03-06-2018 06:22 AM

what bike are you talking about? I had an 03 Road King that did something similar. First try cleaning the VSS. If that doesn't work you may need to replace the sensor or it could be the speedo unit is shot.

Redoilokie 03-06-2018 07:06 AM

Was the new speedo plug and play, or did you have to splice connectors in? Do all the other gauges work properly?

Spec36 03-06-2018 12:22 PM

To answer the splice question yes we did have to splice into the harness all other gauges seem to work properly...
the bike is an 01 Ultra Classic that I have done a custom build on..
I also installed a baker 6-speed at the same time
I replace the speed sensor because the original one was installed with the transmission without a spacer and it chewed the end of it up I found this through troubleshooting.. I was also told that it needed 60 thousands Clarence . And believe I have achieved that

Spec36 03-06-2018 12:23 PM

Now I'm wondering if I possibly got a faulty speed sensor

Redoilokie 03-06-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spec36 (Post 17154575)
Now I'm wondering if I possibly got a faulty speed sensor

All that speed sensor does is read notches in the exciter ring. The reason I asked about splices and the other gauges is because it almost sounds like you're getting interference from the tach circuit into the speedo circuit. No wires were pinched, everything is heat shrunk and/or taped, no bare wires anywhere?

Spec36 03-06-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Redoilokie (Post 17154583)
All that speed sensor does is read notches in the exciter ring. The reason I asked about splices and the other gauges is because it almost sounds like you're getting interference from the tach circuit into the speedo circuit. No wires were pinched, everything is heat shrunk and/or taped, no bare wires anywhere?

yes everything is in heat shrink but I wondered that same thing at one point I know there is no loose wires I made sure everything was sealed ..
I used a good quality heat shrink as well , I deal with that I lot at work testing electronics for power plants

Spec36 03-06-2018 05:12 PM

From what you're saying does that mean if it is reading it all my speed sensor is good?

Redoilokie 03-06-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spec36 (Post 17155414)
From what you're saying does that mean if it is reading it all my speed sensor is good?

Not necessarily. Disconnect the speedo connector and pin or back probe it with a DVOM set to A/C voltage. Ride it (safety first) while monitoring the voltage. It should increase smooth and steady with speed. If it does, the sensor and circuitry are good. If you have a way to raise the rear wheel and accelerate in gear, even better.

Spec36 03-06-2018 06:30 PM

I will try that I do have a lift with a center Jack that is the way I tested it previously.. it will be tomorrow evening or late tonight before I can try my wife is sick so I'm babysitting for the evening.
I understand to set voltmeter to AC . Without sitting here looking at it I do know there is three wires don't remember the colors right off but the variation of two should give me a voltage if I understood correctly