General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do people buy new bikes when they can get an almost perfect used one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:03 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I bought a new Jeep Wrangler in 2007. I can’t tell you how many nights I spent awake contemplating driving it off a cliff. The damn thing was dreadful. I love Jeeps and have had several, but that particular 2007 was truly awful. My current Jeep is a 2014 Wrangler and it is completely opposite.

I often pray for whoever the poor sob is that ended up with my 2007.
Never buy a first year anything. I had an 09 Rubicon and now drive a 14 Rubicon. Not a single issue.

There are smoking deals on used Harleys. I'd look to buy a used one before a new one, unless I just couldn't find exactly what I wanted.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbeesknees
So my question is why do people buy new bikes when they can get an almost perfect used one off of Craigslist or at an auction?
Its ones choice I guess, after you buy new & realize there are problems & you just ate a bunch of depreciation, you learn real quick that its not really worth it.

Rsbenden (09-24-2019)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:32 PM
philly48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

It was convenient for me to trade my '48 in for my Street Glide last year. I only took a small hit on the Sportster and I wanted the M8. I also don't have the patience to deal with all the BS that comes with craigslist as both a buyer and seller.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Because 90% of the late model low mileage Harleys have been screwed with so-called upgrades, cats hosed and what not. They run like crap and if there is a problem, who really know what is causing it.
Good deal on one someone has not messed with it, go for it.

Uncle G. (09-24-2019)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I don't have a very big bank roll which fluctuates frequently which is what caused me to miss this amazing deal on a 2010 Fat Boy which sold for a little over 5K. But if I had it to do again I would have definitely held out until I found a bike at one of these auctions as I would have saved a lot of money.
Without sounding like an ***. Some people have been where you are and have bought used. Auctions are crap shoots. Never been to an auction where you can ride or check a bike out before bidding other than look at it. Never buy a used police bike unless you plan on a rebuild. Trust me. Some people have a lot of problems but money ain't one of em. I don't buy used bikes anymore unless I know the bike and previous owner. I've had good ones and I've had bad ones. If you get a bad one and have to sink cash into it you seldom recoup the loss reselling. If I am gonna pour money into a bike and take a loss it's gonna a new one.

Trippysteve (12-05-2019)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

One word...almost. Used bikes could have been misused by the last owner and/or have mods that aren't my choice.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Shoot22
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New or used

I buy used because I can't afford new. Its as simple as that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shoot22:
gtirhd (03-08-2018), Rsbenden (09-24-2019)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:50 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

I've bought both new and used and tend to prefer new. Its fresh, clean and ready for the mods that you want to throw on it. There's peace of mind knowing that you installed what you wanted, properly and a host of other non worrisome considerations (like has it been dropped, abused, or in a crack up). You can't guarantee any of those things when you buy used.

I get a chuckle when I read that some ppl will NOT buy something in the first year of retail availability. Do they actually believe that companies are willing to sacrifice their reps on putting out a crap product for profit. New release models are engineered and field tested up the wazoo and the rest is usually caught within the first year or so (that's why you have a 2 yr warranty with every new bike). Each to their own. Good luck to the OP on landing a good deal on his Sporty - hope you don't end up blowing that $2500 you saved on some unforeseen repair!

Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Jqg
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So my question is why do people buy new bikes when they can get an almost perfect used one off of Craigslist or at an auction? Sure it is a frustrating process but after searching everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, I was able to find my 2014 48 in nearly mint condition for more than $2,500 less than Kelly said it's worth. I recently started going to police and another auto auction to see what I could snag at a steal. I don't have a very big bank roll which fluctuates frequently which is what caused me to miss this amazing deal on a 2010 Fat Boy which sold for a little over 5K. But if I had it to do again I would have definitely held out until I found a bike at one of these auctions as I would have saved a lot of money.
I tried to buy used from a few people but a lot of them overprice thier bikes because of the mods and work they put into them. My credit union would not let me finance a used bike for more than the blue book value was.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

A lot of people trying to sell a late-model bike don't want to eat the depreciation and overprice their stuff. If you're that close to MSRP, might as well go new. A lot of time you can get a better deal from a dealer buying a trade-in, maybe with a little warranty thrown in, than buying a crap shot off of Craigslist. Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: why do people buy new bikes when they can get an almost perfect used one?