General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding and renting in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:18 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Riding and renting in Colorado

Hi guys,

Wife and I are thing of flying out to Colorado and renting a bike for 10 days or so. I’m on a road glide at home, so would try for that. I’m trying to work out my vacation time around some projects at work and looking for a good time to go.

Not sure about when roads would be open, or the degree they would be under construction after the winter. I’ve heard that summer can be tough riding due to that.

We’re thinking about the first 2 weeks of June but are concerned about roads still being closed. Next available would be second and third weeks of July. Our preference is the earlier the better before school lets out.

Here’s some of the ideas we’re kicking around. Been looking at climate ranges and road conditions for last year, but thought I get the best info form folks who live there.

Aspen - Highway 82
Vail - I40
Rocky Mountain National Park - Highway 34
Arapaho Mountain National Park - Highway 14

Thanks for an advice and suggestions.

A

Old 03-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Grady10
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

July would be better IMO. I lived out there for a number of years. All of the roads are open and not as cold but weather can change in the mountains in a second. The roads usually make it pretty well over the winter. Just get out of Denver quick. To much traffic and a bunch of stupid drivers...
Trail Ridge Road is awesome. That's in RMNP
The ride to Mt Evans
Peak to Peak from Nederland to Estes Park
Buena Vista over Independence Pass to Aspen is a great ride.
Million Dollar Hwy from Silverton to Durango if you have the time.
Hwy 74 to Evergreen from Morrison
285 out of Denver to Fairplay then 9 to Breckenridge
Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs
Pikes Peak
The list could go on and on...lol

The following users liked this post:
arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 PM
holytown
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep^^^^. I live in Denver and agree with all but the garden of the gods. It’s cool but always super packed and hot as hell.

arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I'll 3rd what Grady said. Most of the higher passes are open after Memorial Day, but that varies depending on the weather of course. Trail Ridge Rd has opened on or before Memorial Day only to be closed shortly afterwards due to a heavy snowfall up there. I believe Eagle Rider is the only option to rent a bike anymore.
Bring clothing you can layer because you will experience temps from freezing to boiling on the same day depending on where you go. Also you should expect all sorts of precipitation. It isn't always raining or snowing up there everywhere, but it does rain or snow somewhere up there daily and it is likely you'll get caught.

arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by holytown
..... the garden of the gods. It’s cool but always super packed and hot as hell.
........ was not hot this afternoon.
.... there is a fair amount of traffic in the Garden on the wknds & during tourista season, but it's a very scenic loop.
........ Pikes Peak Highway is a great ride, ....can be 70 in town & 30 w/wind on top
...... 2 ta 3 hr RT depending on whether you get stuck behind some white knuckled flatlander and how much time you spend on top
.... ps: don't let anyone fool ya, the donuts they make up there suck

Last edited by groupw; 03-17-2018 at 09:57 PM.
arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:47 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Check out the museum at Pikes Peak Harley Davidson in Col. Springs. It's upstairs and worth it.

arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:28 AM
arthur
Road Master

Great advice everyone, thanks. Looks like July is the better option. Should probably book the bike soon.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

For the past 15 years I've done all of CO mid to late June. Never had a problem with a closed road. Stats say there is slightly less rain in June than in July west of Denver. Temps a little cooler but close to the same as in July. If using I-70 avoid going west from Denver on a Friday or east to Denver on a Sunday. Almost unlimited mountain riding. An abundance of small interesting towns like Leadville, Minturn, Salida, etc. Very affordable and nice accommodations all over the state. It's a great place to ride.

arthur (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:14 PM
arthur
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bingee
For the past 15 years I've done all of CO mid to late June. Never had a problem with a closed road. Stats say there is slightly less rain in June than in July west of Denver. Temps a little cooler but close to the same as in July. If using I-70 avoid going west from Denver on a Friday or east to Denver on a Sunday. Almost unlimited mountain riding. An abundance of small interesting towns like Leadville, Minturn, Salida, etc. Very affordable and nice accommodations all over the state. It's a great place to ride.
Good to know, thanks. We’re trying to avoid school letting out and the Fourth of July. I think we may try for the last two weeks of June.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Trail Ridge is the only road you need to be worried about being closed, really. It might be cold, but you can go anywhere in CO. Garden of the God's is good. Depending on how far you're looking to ride, Million Dollar Highway is supposed to be incredible. I am getting out there this year. There is a really cool road called Skyline Drive in Canon City. It's short, but it's cool.

arthur (03-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Riding and renting in Colorado