General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Harley's at the Indian dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Pachuco
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm a lover of all motorcycles. This love grew out of the fact that when I was a kid we would stumble upon a bike...get it for free because it was totally roached. We would get it running and ride the **** out of it for the two weeks it was going to run. That was the 80's when all those 60's and 70's bikes were still around. You would be surprised at what brand parts still worked on another brand motor...LOL.

This is the reason I love my Harley today...I just changed the cams and it was a piece of cake. These motors are well designed...there isn't a motor that doesn't have some kind of flaw.

That being said....when Indian comes out with these I am getting one to ride to work and back! But I will never give up my Harley...

Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Ol dirty biker
Exactly, you sell what's in demand, no secret there.

And any Indian dealer would be wise to haul any Indian trades to the auction as well, how could you put a one or two year old barely used one next to a new one for 1/3 the price? Dosent exactly inspire confidence in buying a new one knowing your going to get pennies on the dollar on resale

There is another angle to that. I worked at a Chevrolet dealer when I was in high school. He would get the trades or auction cars that were a couple years old and price them up a little so that people coming in to look at a used car would be inclined to start thinking "Hey, a brand new one is only XX dollars more, with better financing and a warranty. Why not just go new" After a few weeks, maybe a month, he would send those to the auction and get a couple of different ones to do the same thing with. Made it look like the used inventory was moving too. That was long before the internet, so price comparison wasn't as easy, but still, there are a lot of angles to sales. Guys that figure out what works make a good living at it.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Evgen Driplo
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great joke! It is a bit cruel but funny. That is life reality. Honestly telling, I have no idea what Indian humor may look like. From this joke, I can make a conclusion that sometimes they need time to sort out what is happening around them. Am I right? And it creates a lot of funny situations in all spheres of life. Not very many Indians in my place https://populationstat.com/south-korea/seoul. And what about you?

Old 02-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Steevo Jolly
just picked up a 2016 Iron for the old lady. Found it at a small power sports dealer. I negotiated everything via email so the first time I walked in the door was yesterday to sign and ride. Turns out the dealership was more or less an Indian shop. What really caught me off guard was all the used Harley's. I should have taken a picture but they had maybe 35-40 new Indians. About a dozen crotch rockets I paid no attention to. And at least a dozen used Harley's. There couldn't have been more than a couple used Indians in the place. Of course the Iron I bought was traded in for a Scout. I have seen similar situations at car lots. I wonder how often dealers load their lot with auction bought used vehicles from direct competitors so they can play the "every one is trading in their X's for one of our Y's.
I'm curious how you arrived at the conclusion that they were auction bought and not actual trade ins.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Senecagreen
Road Captain
Received 445 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I can take or leave the larger Indian motorcycles. They're just "OK", some things I like, some things I don't. But, that Indian Scout is one butt-ugly motorcycle. My neighbor owns one, and looking the thing over really well, it's hideous. I can't comprehend how a design department drew that up and said..."yea, that looks good!". Has a "cheap metric" look all over it.

I have a Harley and a Indian. I have had 5 Harleys. This is my first Indian. There was 5 other people trying to buy it the week I went and picked it up. If it is Harley or nothing you will miss out on some great bikes. To each his own. I have had many different bikes over the years.

The only change I am making to start is a blacked out exhaust

Old 02-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Senecagreen
Road Captain
Received 445 Likes on 201 Posts

And you can change the belt without removing the swingarm, now that is awesome!

Old 02-09-2020, 03:38 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I'm curious how you arrived at the conclusion that they were auction bought and not actual trade ins.
Because it's common for dealers to do it. Exactly how many Indian bikes do you think Polaris has sold for so many Harleys to be on the floors at their dealerships.