General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Harley's at the Indian dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Used Harley's at the Indian dealership

just picked up a 2016 Iron for the old lady. Found it at a small power sports dealer. I negotiated everything via email so the first time I walked in the door was yesterday to sign and ride. Turns out the dealership was more or less an Indian shop. What really caught me off guard was all the used Harley's. I should have taken a picture but they had maybe 35-40 new Indians. About a dozen crotch rockets I paid no attention to. And at least a dozen used Harley's. There couldn't have been more than a couple used Indians in the place. Of course the Iron I bought was traded in for a Scout. I have seen similar situations at car lots. I wonder how often dealers load their lot with auction bought used vehicles from direct competitors so they can play the "every one is trading in their X's for one of our Y's.

Top Answer

04-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Death Valley Ultra
That's tumbleweed... Michigander.
anyone who has spent time living in the dirt neighborhoods of Detroit has seen a ghetto hair weave being tossed around by the wind. Hence the tumbleweave.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 PM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

The local Indian dealer here has plenty of used harleys on the floor. Not really surprising, though. HD is Indian's direct competitor.

Congrats on the new bike, lets see it!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PPearl
The local Indian dealer here has plenty of used harleys on the floor. Not really surprising, though. HD is Indian's direct competitor.

Congrats on the new bike, lets see it!

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Same year and color of my girlfriend’s Iron. Tell your lady congratulations on the new bike!

The day that we went to get hers, I was going to ride it the 2 hours home and wouldn’t you know it, there were 45 mph winds that day. Those little bikes are scary in that kind of wind on the highway lol.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Same year and color of my girlfriend’s Iron. Tell your lady congratulations on the new bike!

The day that we went to get hers, I was going to ride it the 2 hours home and wouldn’t you know it, there were 45 mph winds that day. Those little bikes are scary in that kind of wind on the highway lol.
i agree completely. Riding it home was my first time on a sportster. I have a pact with my coworkers who ride that we have to ride into work by April 15. Yesterday was the first day we really had in Detroit due to a long winter and wet early spring. I was the only one who kept to the pact. All my coworkers were scared off by high winds even though it was clear and pushing 70 degrees. My fxdls handled fine to and from work but that little 883 had a fun 30 mile ride home from the dealer in the evening. I was getting blown around like a tumbleweave.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Death Valley Ultra
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Steevo Jolly

i agree completely. Riding it home was my first time on a sportster. I have a pact with my coworkers who ride that we have to ride into work by April 15. Yesterday was the first day we really had in Detroit due to a long winter and wet early spring. I was the only one who kept to the pact. All my coworkers were scared off by high winds even though it was clear and pushing 70 degrees. My fxdls handled fine to and from work but that little 883 had a fun 30 mile ride home from the dealer in the evening. I was getting blown around like a tumbleweave.

Mickey Shane (04-19-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

The Indian dealer near me has a butt-load of Harleys on the floor. Some of them have been there a long time. They are asking near new MSRP for them; mostly '16's and some older than that. Apparently no one down this way thinks Harleys depreciate - until you get ready to trade them in, that is...

Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

My local Indian dealer has some HD bikes as well. maybe 8, but they also have ATV's, Can-Am spyders, and Victories they took on trde.

And my local HD dealership has some Indians as well. Just how it goes. I dont think people are going in droves to trade in their Harleys for Indians, at least not here in Missouri. I rarely see anything but Harleys, Honda cruisers, and crotch rockets out riding. Personally I think the Indian bikes look like crap.... same spaceship looking crap victory was doing before Polaris made the switch to only Indian... they're just more round spaceships now instead of angular.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Halfcawkt
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Indians. I have seen plenty of Indian riders and most of them did trade an HD for it. The only reason I didn’t buy Indian is they don’t offer a dyna, muscle bike class of bike. I needed more power than the scout for hauling the wife though the mountains, but the next step up is the dark horse, which I compare to the road king. I still wanted something small enough to be fun and Indian just doesn’t have it. I would have bought a victory gunner, but they were all sold in my area. That is how I ended up with a Harley.

RandyL (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Death Valley Ultra
anyone who has spent time living in the dirt neighborhoods of Detroit has seen a ghetto hair weave being tossed around by the wind. Hence the tumbleweave.

The following 13 users liked this post by Steevo Jolly:
2goldens (04-14-2018), Almostinvincible119 (04-16-2018), BTLorys (04-16-2018), Campy Roadie (04-15-2018), Dan D. (04-15-2018), DanHappy (02-06-2020), Death Valley Ultra (04-14-2018), Mickey Shane (04-19-2018), mnbnd (02-06-2020), rv7garage (04-18-2018), sparkalot (04-14-2018), sunderhill (02-07-2020), Torky_SOB (04-14-2018) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Used Harley's at the Indian dealership