Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   My first good look at the '18 Models. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1228158-my-first-good-look-at-the-18-models.html)

jamala00 04-14-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008 (Post 17273827)
Plan on riding my '07 Street Glide for quite a few years yet. New Harley prices are getting astronomical. Don't see anything worth giving my bike and mega $$$$ to own.

I hear ya... Since Jan, I've been trying to work numbers with a few dealers. Like you said... Not worth giving my bike and mega $$$ to own. I'm done looking, my '09 is my bike for the foreseeable future.

Woke up today to another 6"s of snow and snow forecasted to continue until Mon. When you factor in the WI winters and how much riding time you truly get each year. It makes these bikes even more expensive. Can't use them all year around, a lot of cash for something that just sits around for so long.

I will probably end up the buyer of a garage queen in a couple years at some major discount.

6 gun 04-14-2018 10:54 AM

Well I for one have seen the 2018 models and each and every one of them made me like my 07 Road King Classic Custom just that much more.

Jed Clampett 04-14-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 17273923)
I find they are about 90% of the size of previous. A little less rake. A little shorter wheel base. A little higher floorboards. Stuff like that.

It's like that with all the Softails comparing 2017 to 2018. The 2017 breakout is a lot longer and bigger than the 2018.

I can't do the smaller is better thing.

adm 04-14-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett (Post 17274395)
I can't do the smaller is better thing.

Well.... I actually compared the specs on the 2018 Fat Bob vs. the previous models. The difference in the wheelbase is less than 1/4".

The overall length is 2 1/2" shorter. But that's because there was a long fender overhang on the older bikes, vs. the

Other than that, the seat height on the new bike (unladen) is 1/4" higher, there's 1 degree less rake, 1/4" more trail and 1 degree more lean angle.

Loads of people have been moaning that it's a much smaller bike - but it really isn't. I can't comment on the other models, but I would imagine they are very similar.

Kojax 04-14-2018 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i thought this was the year to trade my 2010 fatboy lo after looking at the 2018 fatboy i really did not like it the back tire 240 is to big i will keep my my 2010 fatboy lo here is the picture

nevada72 04-14-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by adm (Post 17274435)
Well.... I actually compared the specs on the 2018 Fat Bob vs. the previous models. The difference in the wheelbase is less than 1/4".

The overall length is 2 1/2" shorter. But that's because there was a long fender overhang on the older bikes, vs. the

Other than that, the seat height on the new bike (unladen) is 1/4" higher, there's 1 degree less rake, 1/4" more trail and 1 degree more lean angle.

Loads of people have been moaning that it's a much smaller bike - but it really isn't. I can't comment on the other models, but I would imagine they are very similar.

I don't know man....I sit on a pre 18 Softail I look okay. I sit on an 18 Softail and I look like a monkey humping a football.

UUNetBill 04-14-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by nevada72 (Post 17274725)
I don't know man....I sit on a pre 18 Softail I look okay. I sit on an 18 Softail and I look like a monkey humping a football.

I’m just curious, how do you know what you look like sitting on a bike? Do you sit in front of a mirror? Have someone take a picture? I have no idea what I look like on a bike....unless i get snapped riding at a rally or something...

Bricklayer 04-14-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kojax (Post 17274534)
i thought this was the year to trade my 2010 fatboy lo after looking at the 2018 fatboy i really did not like it the back tire 240 is to big i will keep my my 2010 fatboy lo here is the picture

I agree that rear tire is stupid big,like you said keep what you have, your 2010 is a better looking bike anyways.

nevada72 04-14-2018 04:06 PM

oops. edit

nevada72 04-14-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by UUNetBill (Post 17274819)
I’m just curious, how do you know what you look like sitting on a bike? Do you sit in front of a mirror? Have someone take a picture? I have no idea what I look like on a bike....unless i get snapped riding at a rally or something...

It was at the Harley Museum and they had a bunch out for people to sit on. I tried a few and Cheryl just laughed at me and said I looked like I was on a mini bike. She took a picture and showed it to me. Yup. I looked like an idiot.

Beyond that, I have ridden them and they are too small for me. The Heritage was the best one, but still, my feet were way out over the boards. The Fat Bob was just super cramped for me.

I had to make changes to my Street Glide to fit that too. But once those changes were made, I fit fine and don't look out of place on the bike.

Originally Posted by Bricklayer (Post 17274834)
I agree that rear tire is stupid big,like you said keep what you have, your 2010 is a better looking bike anyways.

I rode the Fat Boy too. I kinda liked the way it looked. But holy mother of God does it ride like shit. That bigass fat tire along with the solid disc makes for a harsh ride. And zero cornering clearance. I wasn't being aggressive and scraped the boards at every corner.