General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first good look at the '18 Models.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,619 Likes on 3,209 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I agree with this. They just went farther back.

I rode one and if I were to buy any Softail, that would be it. Moved out very well and handled great. Very nice bike, but just a little too small for me.
Small in terms of legroom Bob?

I only have a 33" inseam so maybe it would be OK for me.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,950 Likes on 7,102 Posts

I've shared my opinion on the 18's numerous times, so no need to get into that. I will say I am ready to pull the trigger on a second bike right now, but I have decided to wait. I'll give Harley one more shot to impress me with their 19's. If nothing in that lineup does it for me, then I'll probably pop for one of the other bikes I've been eyeballing from another manufacturer.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,017 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Well.... I actually compared the specs on the 2018 Fat Bob vs. the previous models. The difference in the wheelbase is less than 1/4".

The overall length is 2 1/2" shorter. But that's because there was a long fender overhang on the older bikes, vs. the

Other than that, the seat height on the new bike (unladen) is 1/4" higher, there's 1 degree less rake, 1/4" more trail and 1 degree more lean angle.

Loads of people have been moaning that it's a much smaller bike - but it really isn't. I can't comment on the other models, but I would imagine they are very similar.
The street bob and the low rider, ridiculously cramped for me. Comfortable on the Fat Bob and the Sport. Don't like the looks of the FB

Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,110 Likes on 6,201 Posts

What I don’t understand is on a spec sheet, the size difference is minimal, but parking two side by side, the difference is very pronounced.

I guess it is kind of like comparing a slim to a fat boy. Same frame, and many of the same specs, but a slim is much smaller bike looking at them side by side.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,716 Likes on 6,881 Posts

Ride the new models and you will see their real beauty!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
betho61 (04-15-2018), WarHorse15 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Angry

i am in to looks i think the 2018 softtails lost there looks should of kept the dyna bikes

Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I like the redesigns for 2018. They did a real nice job and the goal was to attract new customers. Either harley evolves or they die a slow and painful death.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 AM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Dealer had an open house yesterday and got to take a look at and sit on few of the 2018 models. Really liked the way the low rider fit, but missed the looks of the dual shocks the "old" dyna models had. Hated the headlight on the fat boy too. Demo days are coming at the end of May and I'm both curious and afraid to ride the 2018s. If people are right, the ride could easily make me less nostalgic for the good old days....

Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I don't know man....I sit on a pre 18 Softail I look okay. I sit on an 18 Softail and I look like a monkey humping a football.
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
I’m just curious, how do you know what you look like sitting on a bike? Do you sit in front of a mirror? Have someone take a picture? I have no idea what I look like on a bike....unless i get snapped riding at a rally or something...
I always wondered about these football humping monkeys that everyone has seen. Is there an underground club I'm missing out on?

Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Small in terms of legroom Bob?

I only have a 33" inseam so maybe it would be OK for me.
Definitely legroom. I had a Bad Boy that I had to do the 2 inch extended forwards on, and I had to move the floorboards on the Street Glide, so legroom is always a factor no matter what bike.

That said, overall it just feels like a smaller bike than the old Softails. And like I said, when Cheryl showed me a pic of myself sitting on one, I just looked like a big goon on a small bike. And I'm not the only one saying they're smaller.

PS - this is not a bash to the Softails. I don't fit a lot of really nice bikes. The Softails I rode (beside the Fat Boy) Impressed me with their new levels of performance.

Originally Posted by Prot
What I don’t understand is on a spec sheet, the size difference is minimal, but parking two side by side, the difference is very pronounced.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I always wondered about these football humping monkeys that everyone has seen. Is there an underground club I'm missing out on?
So you're telling me you're humping monkey curious?

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (04-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first good look at the '18 Models.