General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phoenix bikefest... don't bother

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Unhappy Phoenix bikefest... don't bother

Rode up to the Phoenix Bikefest this morning. Misssed last year but had a blast 2 years ago when they had lots of vendors and great deals were easily had. This year...not so much. Don't waste your time, there are very few vendors and nothing resembling a deal was to be seen.

The only good news is that it is free vs the Phoenix Bike Week which charges $33 - $37 a head, per day just for admission. I just hope they have a lot more to see and do than the folks at Bikefest.

Indian, Harley and Suzuki are actively promoting their lines with test rides. I think Can Am and Slingshot also were putting butts in seats for test drives/rides.
A few of the wilder folks were over in a section of the parking lot doing wheelies and burn outs. Must admit it is impressive to see a Road Glide yanked back onto its rear fender {almost} but all I could think was "Would you want to buy a bike from one of these guys?"

Guess I am just getting old... waaay too much testosterone for me.
My neighbor/riding buddy and I made the best of the day by taking the long way home out 60 east to Superior and then 177 through Kearney, Hayden and over to Winkelman and back down 77 to/through Mamouth and Oracle before returing home to Catalina. Logged 315 miles, most of it in 20+ mph of westerlies but wasn't a problem.

Looking forward to the Laughlin River run {4/25 - 4/28} where I expect to have much better luck with all things biker.

Last edited by Capt Steve; 04-13-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:01 PM
pei_guy
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like ya still managed to get a pretty decent ride in! Sucks that the show was a bust but oh well, Laughlin will likely be a good time.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Laughlin imo is just as bad . Over priced rooms to much traffic ...... I`d rather take the long way back to Tucson and I live in Phoenix .

Milz

Old 04-13-2018, 07:58 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

At least you're riding.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 AM
jampg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
At least you're riding.
I second that.... Still haven't made it out yet.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:02 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The ride to Winkleman and Globe is one of my favorite. I planned on making it to Bikefest, but it looks like I won't. I had heard it sucked. I was in Scottsdale Friday, lots of riders enjoying the weather...
For locals almost everything Bikeweek is available everyday.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,283 Likes on 8,529 Posts

You got your money’s worth.
Expect same for Laughlin. Just bigger crowd.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Spring is coming...

Other than the wind, the weather on Friday was great. Started out about 56 degrees but quickly warmed up into the sixties and low 70's for the rest of the day. Every biker in the pueblo was out for a ride. Saw lots of large groups along with 2's and 3's like us on every road.

I feel bad for the folks back east who are still locked in winter and feel an obligation to them to ride every day because we can. My bride and I are headed out again this morning as soon as we get some coffee. Temps like Friday should work again. Hang in there borthers... spring will get to you eventually.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

I went... It was OK at best.

The Bike week event in Snottsdale was much better. I did see ZZ Top last night for the first time in 20+ years, so that was a cool experience. About 10 times more to do at the bike week.

I RODE everyday and got some good ones in. The riding in AZ is amazing. I never would have thought. If you want to go for the riding first and the rally second, it’s worth it. If you camp AT the rally, I’m told that’s a whole new experience I’m told.

Cave creek is a cool place to hang out. Think mini Sturgis. A must see.

Last edited by Piloto; 04-15-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

I went and it was okay. Took the long route from Gold Canyon through Usury Pass. Made the annual visit to Scottsdale HD which is an amazing place. It's no wonder their prices are so high. It must cost a fortune to keep that place running.
The event in Glendale was alright; loud, but those things always are. Bought some doo-dads.
We did not do Cave Creek which sounds like we missed the best part.

Quick Reply: Phoenix bikefest... don't bother