General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet security... a great simple idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I use the carbineer and cable with the modular. All it does is keep the honest honest and the dishonest a harder time to get it. That said, I always fear an $800 helmet and Bluetooth device just walking away. That'd suck.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
Just got a new helmet a couple of days ago and my bike has no helmet retention/locking device. Told my riding buddy/neighbor that I was off to Home Depot to find some sort of cable lock that I could use to insure I hang on to my new helmet.

He laughed and asked... Why don't you just use one of your gun locks... Duh! Every time I've purchased a semi auto pistol it came with a locking cable that can be slipped through the slide to incapacitate the weapon. Since my guns all live in a dedicated gun safe {when not deployed} I have never used the locking cables{Master locks with multiple keys} that came with them.

Turns out they work just fine to secure a helmet. Just slip the cable through the helmet strap rings and through and around a solid piece of bike and "Voila" your helmet will be there when you return {unless some A$$hat cuts the strap rendering the helmet useless}.

Nice to put a decent piece of gear to good use after years of gathering dust.

Dude, GREAT idea! I'm going to do just that..

Old 04-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by jp49
i think that is a good idea... with one caveat ... those locks are not to prevent theft they are to prevent accidents with children. as a theft deterrent not so much ....
While technically true, I doubt many people are out there with bolt cutters looking to steal helmets.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I just bring my helmet with me no matter where i go...sucks in the movie theater but I would much rather have it with me then lose it to some Jackass

Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
While technically true, I doubt many people are out there with bolt cutters looking to steal helmets.
Your innocence is both endearing and envyable.
Here in Chicago, I think there's "people" out there with bolt cutters looking to steal ANYTHING they can, including but not limited to your helmet or someones dog or even a child who looks old enough to sew patches on counterfeit apparel.

(what? you've never locked your child to a pole with a gun lock while you go to the gym?? sheesh don't be so judgy!)

Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb

(what? you've never locked your child to a pole with a gun lock while you go to the gym?? sheesh don't be so judgy!)
nope, I believe in the bungee leash for kids.

The following users liked this post:
motohaid (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 04:16 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I have great helmet security. It's called having a POS beat up beanie that no one in their right mind would bother to steal.
I had one of those, some asshat stole it anyway.

Had to spend another whole 15 bucks for a new one!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb
Your innocence is both endearing and envyable.
Here in Chicago, I think there's "people" out there with bolt cutters looking to steal ANYTHING they can, including but not limited to your helmet or someones dog or even a child who looks old enough to sew patches on counterfeit apparel.

Luckily I don't live in Chicago. I generally don't even lock up my helmet, just bungee it to the seat or leave it hanging from handlebars. And, if you choose to remain in a place like that, then you have no reason to complain.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 PM
NDRK
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Here we go again.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Luckily I don't live in Chicago. I generally don't even lock up my helmet, just bungee it to the seat or leave it hanging from handlebars. And, if you choose to remain in a place like that, then you have no reason to complain.
I generally don't even lock my bike lol.

Quick Reply: Helmet security... a great simple idea