General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and Run accident in Los Angeles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:58 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Based on personal experience, I would take an educated guess 20% of crashes in Ca are hit and runs.
Part of the new generation of "everyone is a victim" and "I'm not responsible for my actions" mentality, lack of drivers licenses, no insurance, no registration, dui and illegal alien culture.
Catching the culprit? Unlikely since the involved vehicle does not belong to the driver and the registered owner sold it to someone he doesn't know.
Sad times.
Why I'm becoming more and more partial to bar codes on license plates and automated scanners.

Used to have a big privacy issue with it but it's gotten ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I heard on the news yesterday that there is a hit and run in this country every minute. It also T's me off that uninsured motorcycle insurance coverage is almost as much as insuring myself. Just shows how many people are running around without insurance, licenses or current registrations.
kk

The following users liked this post:
SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Based on personal experience, I would take an educated guess 20% of crashes in Ca are hit and runs.
Part of the new generation of "everyone is a victim" and "I'm not responsible for my actions" mentality, lack of drivers licenses, no insurance, no registration, dui and illegal alien culture.
Catching the culprit? Unlikely since the involved vehicle does not belong to the driver and the registered owner sold it to someone he doesn't know.
Sad times.
One of the problems. DMV requires you to fill out and submit an SR1 if property damage is over $1000.00. These days a small scrape is over a thousand bucks. I recently backed into and lightly tapped a car. No one was around so I left a note. You could barely see the mark on the front bumper. The repair was $1700.00. I now have an at fault accident on my record for three years. The same as if I ran a stop sign and totaled a car. My insurance doubled as a result. I would never run though. Among other things, I wouldn't risk losing my CCW.

Very sad situation but I think they'll find the guy.

SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

When my shop burned, I hit a fence post getting out of the way of the fire trucks. $3,500 damage to the dually fender. Also got an at fault point. The insurance premium went up enough that I should have paid for the damage myself. I would have come out ahead in the long run. Deductable was $1,000. So I lost a bunch overall. I pretty much got hosed on everything else too, except my bike. Progressive through Harley paid very well. I got back $200 more than I paid for it 6 months prior plus sales tax and license.
kk

Old 04-29-2018, 01:33 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
One of the problems. DMV requires you to fill out and submit an SR1 if property damage is over $1000.00. These days a small scrape is over a thousand bucks. I recently backed into and lightly tapped a car. No one was around so I left a note. You could barely see the mark on the front bumper. The repair was $1700.00. I now have an at fault accident on my record for three years. The same as if I ran a stop sign and totaled a car. My insurance doubled as a result. I would never run though. Among other things, I wouldn't risk losing my CCW.

Very sad situation but I think they'll find the guy.
Since the OP used a double fatal crash as an example, I would guess this case is a priority for the traffic investigators. Big problem with H&R investigations is putting the driver behind the wheel and proving it in court. The intoxication aspect is thrown out since there is no blood test and no FST's.
A lot of interviews of reluctant witnesses, where the suspect was before the crash and surveillance video of vehicle movements before the crash might help identify the driver. And of course the car is full of the suspect's DNA. But DNA may not prove who the driver was, the suspect could claim he had driven the car before but not at the time of the crash.
If the suspect is illegal, sadly he's back across the border by now.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I wish we could file a class action lawsuit against Jerry clown personally for breaking federal laws and declaring this a sanctuary state Where illegals can do whatever they want with no consequences ,they are lined up in bus loads @ the border right now !!!What a ****en piece of **** he is. Just my opinion

SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:28 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Over 1.2 million illegals live in SoCal, from Ventura to the Mexican border. No insurance, no dinero, and California actually allows illegals to get drivers licenses!
The word in the illegal community is to run, run, run, if you can-on foot, in your car, anyway to get out of a traffic accident, or any problem that might bring the Popo...
Cops later found the vehicle, but that may be a worthless lead, as many illegal families pass the vehicle around from their cousin, to their brother, to their neighbor, and back to the Papa. On top of that, add illegal papers and fake ID's easily obtainable in the illegal community, and that's why they run.....get away from the scene, and it's all good for them-
Cops run the plates, and the guy who was actually was driving may never be caught or known. It's a damn free for all with zero accountability.
The guy driving is still unknown, so, drunk or not, it's easy to simply walk across the border after getting a ride down there from their girlfriend, and chill in Mexico for awhile till the **** dies down, then come back and get back to work.
Many of us responsible citizens have to add uninsured motorist to their policies due to this rampant, out of control situation.

I know Foothill Blvd in Sunland/Tujunga pretty well, and it's no Beverly Hills. Still plenty of tweakers, and ex cons hanging up there, as well as a big homeless population. So, it's possible it was simply a lowlife scumbag local on drugs or drunk that took off, so let's see in the next few days what the cops come up with.

SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

$10 says the car driver was a border bunny, common as a cold here in Ca.

SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:06 PM
richkidman
Cruiser

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

So sad, just went through tujunga today on foothill to see family, people were driving like idiots and I was amazed at how fast they race down foothill now, not what I use to see as a kid growing up in LVT, Sunland/Tujunga. May they both Rest In Peace and may they find the POS that did it.

SoCalHDMC (05-04-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I can only echo the sentiments of all of you. It is a shame California has come to be such a changed place. My Dad was born in Oceanside in 1924, my Grandfather in 1894. Ton of history of our family from San Diego to the ‘real’ NorCal. My kids were born here. I am in single digits to retirement and then I am going to Arizona or somewhere I can feel better about my tax money being spent. Half of my family bailed to Utah decades ago, and they have pretty much enjoyed living a decent life.

sparkalot (04-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Hit and Run accident in Los Angeles...