General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a few tips for my arthritis

Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Glucosamine/Chondroitin 1500mg/1200mg twice daily. Takes a few months to have effect. Works for me.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,990 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Good luck with your bike search.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:55 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Get an older touring model. Buy a Road Zepplin seat and call Howard ar Motorcycle Metal. He is a forum sponsor and can build a set of shocks to meet your individual needs. Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

In your video it looks like you left the three holes in the fender from the license plate bracket unplugged. Is that right? If you ever find a cool way to plug those holes I hope you post it.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:37 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Hate to say it...but anything you do is only going to get your small incremental gains. With such a significant pre existing history , your body is not built for these ergonomics. Fixed position, seated, pressure on hips and back....all horrible for your conditions.

i work in disabilty management ...u can fine tune your ergonomics with mids to take some pressure off your hips...but your still going to be in pain. A softer shock can actually make it worse with the vertical forces.

see an OT..get them to review your riding positioning.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:57 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Hate to say it...but anything you do is only going to get your small incremental gains. With such a significant pre existing history , your body is not built for these ergonomics. Fixed position, seated, pressure on hips and back....all horrible for your conditions.

i work in disabilty management ...u can fine tune your ergonomics with mids to take some pressure off your hips...but your still going to be in pain. A softer shock can actually make it worse with the vertical forces.

see an OT..get them to review your riding positioning.
If u think it's going to rain? It will!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
The Softail is lower and not as heavy as a touring bike. It would be a bit easier to move around considering the arthritis and presently having a Sportster I didn't imagine that he did all that much cross country touring. Plus I was speaking from experience.

When I could no longer ride my choppers due to arthritic pain from top to bottom I considered a touring bike but seeing as how my 600 miles a day long hauls are over and to eliminate the extra few hundred pounds to push around, back up and God forbid ever have to pick up, I tried a Softail and bought it. The stock seat provides adequate comfort and the Progressive shocks offer a smooth ride. If it wasn't for the Softail my riding days would probably have come to an end.

I'm just saying what worked for me.
I agree weight may or may not be to much for him.

I disagree a touring bike is only for touring. Would give him the most room to stretch out, and best suspension.

I own 3 bikes, all touring bikes. Just more comfortable, even around town.

Either way I would experiment with seating and maybe pegs. Don't make the mistake to think highway pegs or rider forward will add comfort. May or may not. Not for me. Good seat, I think firm is better for back back and hips. Maybe bars depending on where his body ends up.

I am not a big guy, and have no problem picking up my bike. But some people do. I do not use the cop method of backing up to it, but some do. Having front and rear engine guards, make it easier.

I tend to agree with the folks who say he doesn't need our medical advice. I am sure he has heard of motrin and such.

Would be nice if he gave us more details. Where it hurts, how lung, ect. Can he drive a car ok? If he can do that, I would think he could find something that he can ride, if not for just short trips.

Other thing about bikes, some people are just comfortable no matter how much they say they love bikes and the lifestyle. If you are tense or nervous, no bike will be comfortable.

Lots of guys just never find a bike they like to ride. Some of it is because they just keep buying similar bikes. I had buddy said back killed him on short rides, he just went back and forth between dynas and softails. So no ****.

For the other folks, I think I am becoming a believer in fish oil. I'll say for sure in a few more months.

But if the guy doesn't post anymore, I don't know why we should. Just masturabation at that point.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 PM
TopHatPlus
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made a video I will be posting tomorrow with a fairly in-depth view on my riding position, and hip issues.

Right is is absolutely destroyed and the right leg is 2" shorter. I will never escape the pain and I have no intention on trying.

I want to spend a few bucks on some suspension and get the maximum impact out of it.

My goal is to get a handful of rides per year, 45 minutes to an hour, and get to forget about this awful pain I live with the rest of the year.

Originally Posted by BobRR
In your video it looks like you left the three holes in the fender from the license plate bracket unplugged. Is that right? If you ever find a cool way to plug those holes I hope you post it.
I do have a solution, and I have had plugs for about 2 years that I have never gotten around to using... I will make a video at some point.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by TopHatPlus
I made a video I will be posting tomorrow with a fairly in-depth view on my riding position, and hip issues.
r.
Maybe I am wrong, maybe generational thing, but video may not be the best way. This is a forum. People like reading posts.

Myself, I am just not going to take the time to watch a video. Again maybe generational thing, maybe just me.

I shouldn't say genration thing, there are old guys who put up pictures of stock bikes, that look like everything else.

Either, I may be wrong, but detailed written posts, and posting back and forth, may be best.

IMO talk about what hurts, how long you can ride, what you have tried, and what your set up is, and what you are willing to try, time and money.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:08 PM
TopHatPlus
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be posting as well I just don't know how to accurately describe things without long drawn out explanations.

So video will be like tomorrow and I will post regardless. I am a videographer and youtube so for me I can make a video faster then I can type out a explanation.

The pain is my right hip - I walk with a can
I can ride for 1-1.5 hours
I have tried 2 different seats, one was pretty heavily cushions and one is the the stock nighter seat, they both had pros and cons and both had the same ride duration.

Setup is 100% stock Nighter mid controls, and I added adjustable highway pegs, sot k handle bars thank I rolled back as far as possible without touching the tank so I was in a natural seated position.

I am willing to buy a set of shock and or springer seat depending on which will make the ride more "plush". I find a more supportive seat with less padding makes me more comfortable but the key to the seat is the crotch width, the stock HD saddle is extremely narrow in the crotch and thats the ticket. Spreading my hips in the crotch is instant no go zone.

Budget - couple hundred bucks. my bike is financed and I do not have much disposable income.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need a few tips for my arthritis