General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Repo'd By Mistake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bike Repo'd By Mistake!!!

My 2015 Road Glide was a victim of mistaken identity today. Countrywide Auto Recovery from Pearland, TX thought it was a 1997 HD. I'm paid up with Harley Davidson Financial Service (HDFS) 10 months ahead so its definitely not supposed to be on the "Repo List". They still picked it up from my wife's office parking lot, while we were having lunch. I was told that it was spotted by a car with cameras (mounted on the trunk) scanning roadways and parking lots, looking at license plates for hits on their database.

The wrecker driver tied it down with 2" ratchet straps like a pissed off gorilla, bottoming it out, front and rear. I had Skully Air Ride installed 6 months age at the Lone Star Rally. I'm wondering if the bike being bottomed out like that will have damaged the air ride or forks?

I've already seen that the right side cowbell was flattened out. The seat pan was creased up from the ratchet straps (1 over seat and 1 under seat). Now the wiring harness under the tank dash is exposed for 1-2 inches. The rear of the tank is also scratched up from the straps. The repairs for just these 3 things runs just under $2000 at Goe Harley in Angleton, TX.

Strange that HDFS told me they didn't know who Countrywide was. When I hung up the phone with HDFS and called Countrywide back, they told me that HDFS had already called them and informed them to bring the bike back. Something seems fishy?

Attached Thumbnails Bike Repo'd By Mistake!!!-repo-1.jpg   Bike Repo'd By Mistake!!!-repo-2.jpg  

Top Answer

05-01-2018, 11:26 PM
67Shuv
Road Master
Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

That's not wrongful or negligent anything..... that's THEFT and VANDALISM... You shouldn't have to fork out a deductible, make a claim and then have your rates go up for damages they caused to your bike, no way in hell. That company and that driver should be the ones footing the bill and paying for you a comparable rental bike in the process. I'm not the "jump on their desk" type but man, these repo companies have zero regard for boundaries or respect for personal property. I know it comes with the territory but they screwed the pooch here, not you. Time for them to pay up for it.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampuscat
My 2015 Road Glide was a victim of mistaken identity today. Countrywide Auto Recovery from Pearland, TX thought it was a 1997 HD. I'm paid up with Harley Davidson Financial Service (HDFS) 10 months ahead so its definitely not supposed to be on the "Repo List". They still picked it up from my wife's office parking lot, while we were having lunch. I was told that it was spotted by a car with cameras (mounted on the trunk) scanning roadways and parking lots, looking at license plates for hits on their database.

The wrecker driver tied it down with 2" ratchet straps like a pissed off gorilla, bottoming it out, front and rear. I had Skully Air Ride installed 6 months age at the Lone Star Rally. I'm wondering if the bike being bottomed out like that will have damaged the air ride or forks?

I've already seen that the right side cowbell was flattened out. The seat pan was creased up from the ratchet straps (1 over seat and 1 under seat). Now the wiring harness under the tank dash is exposed for 1-2 inches. The rear of the tank is also scratched up from the straps. The repairs for just these 3 things runs just under $2000 at Goe Harley in Angleton, TX.

Strange that HDFS told me they didn't know who Countrywide was. When I hung up the phone with HDFS and called Countrywide back, they told me that HDFS had already called them and informed them to bring the bike back. Something seems fishy?
Don't those idiots cjche vin?

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (02-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Just when you think you’ve seen it all... hope you get your bike back to 100% again.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 PM
WrenchinRider
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, just WOW!!. Cannot imagine how pissed I would be , If I were in your shoes. Is'nt checking the VIN, the first thing a repo man would do. I mean that could be dangerous, if someone was'nt understanding.

tar_snake (02-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Sounds like a case for Perry Mason. I'm not one for litigation but this seems to me to be an appropriate time for a good attorney. These repo guys are usually very hard to deal with otherwise. There is much more to deal with than just physical damage. In any case good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by nytryder:
Campy Roadie (05-02-2018), PFWiz (05-07-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

so who's paying for the damage?

tar_snake (02-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Looks like countrywide is

Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser

Have to contact the repo company tomorrow about the damages. If they say its not their concern, I'll have to file a claim with my insurance. Small claims court doesn't have much in the way of teeth but that may be a method of recovering some of the cost. Either way I'll contact the local Police Dept.

tar_snake (02-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

The whole thing sounds effed up. Did you confirm someone didn't switch the plates on your bike?

Reason being, I have seen many, many times where the wrong plates were issued to a vehicle at the DMV, especially court house annex buildings. Thousands of people are out there with plates on their vehicles that were never assigned to the correct documents.

Most people don't check the registration docs to confirm the license plates are correct and matching.

Last edited by Cbyway; 05-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cbyway
The whole thing sounds effed up. Did you confirm someone didn't switch the plates on your bike?

Reason being, I have seen many, many times where the wrong plates were issued to a vehicle at the DMV, especially court house annex buildings. Thousands of people are out there with plates on their vehicles that were never assigned to the correct documents.

Most people don't check the registration docs to confirm the license plates are correct and matching.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

I'll check the plates against the registration papers in the morning. I just renewed them this month.

Quick Reply: Bike Repo'd By Mistake!!!