General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does everyone like or hate about this helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 01:37 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
Default What does everyone like or hate about this helmet

My bike will be ready soon after the wreck I had last year and I am going to need a new helmet. It has been years since I have worn a full face and boy have they changed since then. I think I like the Shoei RF-SR but haven't decided on the color yet. they come in over a half dozen colors and I am leaning toward what they call a "Tangerine Orange" because it is so close to the color I had my bike painted. Does anyone have any positive or negative opinions. I know by asking for positive OR negative opinions I am opening my self up to be abused but let me hear it anyway.

Shoei RF-SR Helmet

$399.00 Tangerine Orange

Shape: Intermediate Oval

Weight: 3.66 lbs.

Aerodynamic Shell Design:
Dual-Layer EPS liner enhances impact absorption and ventilation
Four shell and six EPS liner sizes increase fit options that help to comfortably fit most head sizes.

Ventilation System:
Two upper air intake vents are positioned to maximize air volume into the helmet interior; hot air is exhausted through top outlet for a more comfortable ride. Lower intake vent absorbs air exhaled from the mouth to help eliminate shield fogging. Breath guard and chin curtain included

Lightweight Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus (AIM+):
High performance fiber materials are combined with extremely elastic organic fibers to create a shell structure that is ultra lightweight, rigid and resilient.

Interior:
The entire interior lining (cheek pads, upper liner, and chin strap covers) can be removed for cleaning, center and cheek pads can be replaced with optional thicknesses for a customizable fit. E.Q.R.S. (Emergency Quick Release System) allows emergency medical personnel to easily remove the cheek pads from an injured rider’s helmet, enabling the helmet to be more easily removed from the head.
Extra comfort provided by removable ear pads, breath guard, and chin curtain. Standard chin strap clip neatly secures chin strap.

CWR-1 Shield and QR-E System:
CWR-1 shield features ribs along the top and bottom to improve rigidity and eliminate bending from wind pressure during opening and closing. Improved window beading features dual-layered dual lip construction that ensures a windproof and waterproof seal with every closure. Locking mechanism easily engages the shield lock when fully closed. Pinlock pins and EVO fog resistant lens insert included
Spring-loaded base plates offer quick shield changes. Five-stage rotating dial allows fine tuning of the base plate for easy shield adjustments. QR-E closure system allows for tool-less shield removal and installation, and provides an air-tight seal intended to significantly minimize wind noise.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Shoei makes good helmets. RF-1200 or 14 are premier. They really reduce wind noise.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,377 Likes on 2,644 Posts

I use a Shoei RF-1200 full face.....great helmet and comfortable.

I like that color choice you selected to match your bike.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

You wear glasses? If so, get a modular.

Second, see if Sena makes a headset for it. They have one, I know, for the Neotec 2 modular Shoei.

The Sena system for my HJC replaces the cheekpads with pads that have speakers and mic built into them.

Shoei makes good helmets, just think they're way overpriced.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-03-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:07 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Shoei is a good brand for sure. Like previously mentioned I would look for a helmet that has Sena capability. Even if you don’t plan on using it things could change and it’s beet to have than have not.

Have you went to a bike shop they carries this model and tried it on? That’s probably your best bet go somewhere that has several brands and try em on and see what feels right

Old 05-03-2018, 02:18 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Different model than what you are considering, but definitely one of my favorites. It's a little tighter than I prefer, but it's also fairly new and I expect a little compression of the foam, which should help. It's certainly one of my most quiet helmets. The "Pin-lock" anti-fog shield is awesome.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:21 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,821 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
You wear glasses? If so, get a modular.......

+1....I wear glasses and cannot get a fullface helmet on with my glasses on. If I take them off, put the helmet on, then try and put my glasses on through the opening, I still can't get them to go on without bending the frames all out of wack. Modular solves the problem. Some people have no trouble getting a fullface on with glasses, but I never could. Main reason I wear an open face, 3/4 helmet.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 05-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
+1....I wear glasses and cannot get a fullface helmet on with my glasses on. If I take them off, put the helmet on, then try and put my glasses on through the opening, I still can't get them to go on without bending the frames all out of wack. Modular solves the problem. Some people have no trouble getting a fullface on with glasses, but I never could. Main reason I wear an open face, 3/4 helmet.
My main problem was that I always forgot to take my glasses off. Wrecked my glasses every time I pulled off my FF. The modular just makes the problem go away.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I am currently using a Shoei GT Air. It has a Sena 20s installed. No issues with any Shoei lid I have ever used. You cant go wrong. Great choice, but high dollar, and I like the color.

Last edited by Cbyway; 05-03-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I am currently using a Shoei GT Air. It has a Sena 20s installed. No issues with any Shoei lid I have ever used. You cant go wrong. Great choice, but high dollar, and I like the color.
I never could keep the 20s docked. Wind kept pulling it off the mount.

The GT-Air was one of the helmets the Sena 10U was made for.

https://www.sena.com/product/10u/

Quick Reply: What does everyone like or hate about this helmet