General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harleys really slow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by greggreen

Hmm, No pics, no time slips, no description of mods. Sounds like more of the usual BS.
Wow....
Ih4x4 has been on these forums for over a decade. Helping and sharing insights and opinions. And some know-it-all shows up and bags on him for no reason. Yeah, way to show your true colors. Keep it up, it's "almost" funny.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by bikerlaw:
beanoboy (05-10-2018), cficole (06-19-2018), FNGonaRK (05-10-2018), martinj (05-18-2018), Uncle G. (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

The added power helps if you are fully loaded and travelling out West. Our stock 2011 Ultra Classic could barely maintain the speed limit going up long grades. I had the throttle pinned and we were being passed by minivans. Pretty frustrating. I had it bumped up to 96/114 with a 107 kit and that problem went away. Our current bike, the stock SGS has somewhat less power than our 107 Ultra, but it doesn't feel like it. It's a particularly strong 103.

But for just running around the Midwest solo, your 60ish HP is just fine.

The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTz

Different tools for different jobs.

NICE MONSTER!!!! Even my Harley buddies had to admit my "Crotch Rocket" was absolutely exquisite!! LOLZ And all the guys who ride wide glides no longer wanted to race me (I told them me being on a Ducati was about the same as them being on Wide Glides when running me on an SG with my wife on the back) ..LOLZ

Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
The added power helps if you are fully loaded and travelling out West. Our stock 2011 Ultra Classic could barely maintain the speed limit going up long grades. I had the throttle pinned and we were being passed by minivans. Pretty frustrating. I had it bumped up to 96/114 with a 107 kit and that problem went away. Our current bike, the stock SGS has somewhat less power than our 107 Ultra, but it doesn't feel like it. It's a particularly strong 103.

But for just running around the Midwest solo, your 60ish HP is just fine.

This is the answer I suspected. If I’m still able to ride 2up when I retire, I’ll get a newer, more powerful bike, for mountain touring. I'll keep my bike for parades. And my boys to ride.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
NICE MONSTER!!!! Even my Harley buddies had to admit my "Crotch Rocket" was absolutely exquisite!! LOLZ And all the guys who ride wide glides no longer wanted to race me (I told them me being on a Ducati was about the same as them being on Wide Glides when running me on an SG with my wife on the back) ..LOLZ
Similar experience for me and I think most people can appreciate a great bike even if it isn't their personal style. Have both is funny though because sometimes my wife likes to ride with the comfy backrest and other times she has a need for speed. Last night she was looking for some speed so after a couple of 1st and 2nd gear pulls on the aprilia she was done for. Right tool for the job is the right answer.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Harleys deliver good low end torque during off-idle acceleration. Beyond that they're slow compared to an equivalent like the new Yamaha Venture. The Venture has an air-cooled, 113-cubic-inch V-twin.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I see lot's of bitching that Harleys are slow, and that they need lots of mods after purchase. I am perfectly happy with my stage one 88. I don't seem to have any trouble accelerating to 80 on an Interstate on ramp or passing cars on two lanes. What exactly would be better if I had a Sportbike, or a 100/100 engine?

I have enough trouble staying 9mph within the speed limit as it is and have no need to ride in the triple digits.

Yes, but its relative turn. Problem comes from knuckle head that buys a Harley and expects it to accelerate like a Kawasaki h2r and on top of that cruse like a road glide. Do not buy a Harley and then start complaining about the acceleration rate. It’s simply ignorant.

Last edited by Cossack84; 05-10-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM
77dream
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 158 Posts

If Harley sold nothing but crotch rockets, I wouldn't have one - period! If ya buy a 800 - 900+ lb classic style bike and expect the performance of a Ferrari, that's your bad..... then buy a different brand.

We needed to take a trip from western WY to eastern WI in 2016 for my nephews funeral. Rode 2,606 miles in 5 days, two there, two back and a day for family. Wanted to honor his memory by taking the bike because I had taken him motorcycle camping a couple times years ago and he had the time of his life. 2,000 of that was me having a couple cracked ribs and the wife a broken toe due to tipping over in a motel driveway apron. We are in our mid 60's. Had a great time......

This at my sister's in Amherst Jct:

I suspect my speedometer is about 5+ over actual, we held between 85 to 90 on the speedometer. Many times there were cars pacing behind us so figured we were pretty much 'in the groove'. There were only a couple long hills we couldn't hold speed but the cars behind us still didn't pass. Our bikes are choked off due to EPA regulations and I would like to do a stage 1 or even 2 but will never be able to afford it. I wouldn't spend 3,000 or more to be able to pass mini-vans on a couple hills but would like the 103 to be able to perform closer to it's capabilities.

As far as mountain cruising, yeah do it all the time. I am really disappointed I can't hold 75 MPH on these mountain roads! But it's by far, not a lack of power.....

Ride on!

Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I honestly don't know what you guys who are bitchin' about not having enough power are doing to/with your bikes. I've pulled my fully loaded trailer 1/2 way across the U.S. and back again. Did an Iron Butt (un-official, because I don't like talking to strangers at every gas station) from Fargo, ND to Spokane, WA, up and over the mountains in 12 hrs. (yea... I had to be back to work on Monday and Google is a dumb-***) and never had any problems or felt a need for more power than I had with a stock, carbed 88B and I'll do it again... sooner or later. Hell... I've even pulled a golf cart (4.5' x 11') trailer loaded up with 5, 33x12.5x15 SuperSwamper tires w/rims up/over Flowery Trail and passed 49 deg. North (popular ski resort in N.E. WA.) to come back down the other side... again, with no desire for anymore power than I had. Ya'll must be some real big, heavy SOB's if you think you need more power than that.

*edit: not sure why the forum won't take my remote hosted image pic today. POS forum. Had to edit to use the board "attach" option. what a hassle.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 05-10-2018 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony P (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
I honestly don't know what you guys who are bitchin' about not having enough power are doing to/with your bikes. I've pulled my fully loaded trailer 1/2 way across the U.S. and back again. Did an Iron Butt (un-official, because I don't like talking to strangers at every gas station) from Fargo, ND to Spokane, WA, up and over the mountains in 12 hrs. (yea... I had to be back to work on Monday and Google is a dumb-***) and never had any problems or felt a need for more power than I had with a stock, carbed 88B and I'll do it again... sooner or later. Hell... I've even pulled a golf cart (4.5' x 11') trailer loaded up with 5, 33x12.5x15 SuperSwamper tires w/rims up/over Flowery Trail and passed 49 deg. North (popular ski resort in N.E. WA.) to come back down the other side... again, with no desire for anymore power than I had. Ya'll must be some real big, heavy SOB's if you think you need more power than that.
Were you taking side roads? Because there is no way that bike was running up long grades at 75 MPH (which is the speed limit) on a 100 degree day pulling a trailer. Unless you weigh 90 pounds. But even that is questionable. Our bike was tapped out and as mentioned, we were being passed by minivans. That's an embarrassment. Our combined weight comes in about 350 with helmets etc. Then add the full side bags and tour pack. Definitely running near max GVWR, but even at that, a bike should be able to maintain the speed limit.

Don't even get me started on passing semi trucks on 2 lane mountain roads. I had to buy new underwear.

All that said, I'm referring to our 2011 Ultra Classic with 96. Our current bike, a 2014 SGS performs just fine. No issues.

Quick Reply: Are Harleys really slow?