General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakdown after dealerships are closed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Let me see, check the oil, check the tire pressure & tread, check to see all the shiny **** isn't rattling, make sure your travel bag is strapped down solidly, grab the map book then ride the crap out of it for the next 2 weeks and 4000 plus miles wandering around like a kid in a candy store. This scares you sell the bike..........

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Campy Roadie (05-08-2018), SPRINGER (05-08-2018), uklauren (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,601 Posts

It boils down to you have to do whatever is possible.
In '80 I broke a master link in my drive chain on a '76 Super-Glide and it trashed my transmission.
I'm from Michigan and I broke down a few miles south of Houston, TX!
It was bike week in Sturgis and anyone who could have possibly helped me was in Sturgis and all the dealers could offer me was to order a new transmission and wait "a few weeks" for it to arrive!
I was on vacation and had a limited amount of time off from work.
With no other options available, me, my cousin and a friend I went there to visit removed the useless transmission from the bike and sat there trying to figure out a solution to my problem.
The only people that I knew that could possibly give me any help was in the Detroit area so I made some calls and determined that I would bring the trans to Detroit and have the "internals" put inside new cases.
One problem was that there was a pending airline strike scheduled to start at midnight so I had to book the next flight out to make sure that I would at least get to Detroit even if I might have problems getting back to Houston.
I carried my little carry-on bag with a change of clothes in one hand, and the trans out of my bike in a canvas knapsack in the other!
All I can say is that you wouldn't be able to do that these days and going thru Houston , Atlanta and Detroit airports TWICE, was to say the least "entertaining"!
During the flight up I started thinking and grew very concerned about the possibility of installing a "pieced-together" transmission in my bike and then having a deadline to get home was a very risky investment, considering the flight fares, etc. etc.
The following Tuesday morning (my dealership was closed on Mondays) I was at the dealership (Downtown H-D in Detroit) when they opened.
I told Tom (Service Mgr) of my situation and he replied that he was almost sure that he had a brand new '75 trans still in the crate upstairs.
He returned a few minutes late with a wood crate on a hand truck and said "You're in luck" and gave me a price.
Just at the time, another Tom (one of he owners) just happened by and asked what was in the crate?
Tom proceeded to tell him my story and all was going well until the price that Tom (Service Mgr) had quoted me for the trans ($500).
Tom (Owner) said no, no, no that's just about our price! (Maybe, but I had no idea at that time).
Tom (Owner) looked at me and then asked me where my bike was broken down?

I told him and he asked what all I needed to get my bike back on the road and I said in addition to the trans, a new chain, gaskets, etc.
He turned to Tom (Service Mgr) and said "give him everything he needs out-the-door for $ 700!!! Man was I thrilled!

Wednesday morning I was back in TX and were installing the trans in my bike with lots of assistance from the locals.
We got everything done with the exception of installing the drive chain and it needed to be cut-to-length.
There was a school bus repair garage less than a mile from where we were working on the bike so we took the chain and headed down there.
The guys working in there were great, cut the chain for meand wouldn't even take a 6-pack for their efforts.
Their only request was to drop back by the shop and show them the bike before I left town.
I was at the garage 30 minutes later.
We thanked everyone who had loaned us tools or helped in any way and Thursday morning we were on our way.....to Mexico!!!
We had one more week off of work so we figured that we should make the most of our "southern" vacation.
It seems that some trips are unremarkable but it's the trips with bad weather, breakdowns, etc. that you never seem to forget!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-07-2018 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

OP, riding a motorcycle is not for you. I suggest you move to a house adjacent to a hospital with an emergency room in case of chest pains. No matter how careful you are, no matter what you plan to avoid, problems find ALL of us at the most inopportune times. You'd be better off to learn how to deal with these situations with your wit and what resources you have at hand than to lean on someone else to solve your problems. They don't have the same stake in it as you.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-08-2018 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
It boils down to you have to do whatever is possible.
In '80 I broke a master link in my drive chain on a '76 Super-Glide and it trashed my transmission.
I'm from Michigan and I broke down a few miles south of Houston, TX!
It was bike week in Sturgis and anyone who could have possibly helped me was in Sturgis and all the dealers could offer me was to order a new transmission and wait "a few weeks" for it to arrive!
I was on vacation and had a limited amount of time off from work.
With no other options available, me, my cousin and a friend I went there to visit removed the useless transmission from the bike and sat there trying to figure out a solution to my problem.
The only people that I knew that could possibly give me any help was in the Detroit area so I made some calls and determined that I would bring the trans to Detroit and have the "internals" put inside new cases.
One problem was that there was a pending airline strike scheduled to start at midnight so I had to book the next flight out to make sure that I would at least get to Detroit even if I might have problems getting back to Houston.
I carried my little carry-on bag with a change of clothes in one hand, and the trans out of my bike in a canvas knapsack in the other!
All I can say is that you wouldn't be able to do that these days and going thru Houston , Atlanta and Detroit airports TWICE, was to say the least "entertaining"!
During the flight up I started thinking and grew very concerned about the possibility of installing a "pieced-together" transmission in my bike and then having a deadline to get home was a very risky investment, considering the flight fares, etc. etc.
The following Tuesday morning (my dealership was closed on Mondays) I was at the dealership (Downtown H-D in Detroit) when they opened.
I told Tom (Service Mgr) of my situation and he replied that he was almost sure that he had a brand new '75 trans still in the crate upstairs.
He returned a few minutes late with a wood crate on a hand truck and said "You're in luck" and gave me a price.
Just at the time, another Tom (one of he owners) just happened by and asked what was in the crate?
Tom proceeded to tell him my story and all was going well until the price that Tom (Service Mgr) had quoted me for the trans ($500).
Tom (Owner) said no, no, no that's just about our price! (Maybe, but I had no idea at that time).
Tom (Owner) looked at me and then asked me where my bike was broken down?

I told him and he asked what all I needed to get my bike back on the road and I said in addition to the trans, a new chain, gaskets, etc.
He turned to Tom (Service Mgr) and said "give him everything he needs out-the-door for $ 700!!! Man was I thrilled!

Wednesday morning I was back in TX and were installing the trans in my bike with lots of assistance from the locals.
We got everything done with the exception of installing the drive chain and it needed to be cut-to-length.
There was a school bus repair garage less than a mile from where we were working on the bike so we took the chain and headed down there.
The guys working in there were great, cut the chain for meand wouldn't even take a 6-pack for their efforts.
Their only request was to drop back by the shop and show them the bike before I left town.
I was at the garage 30 minutes later.
We thanked everyone who had loaned us tools or helped in any way and Thursday morning we were on our way.....to Mexico!!!
We had one more week off of work so we figured that we should make the most of our "southern" vacation.
It seems that some trips are unremarkable but it's the trips with bad weather, breakdowns, etc. that you never seem to forget!
Great story! It's so true that trials and tribulations are what make an adventure. I always tell my friends that if I rode a Honda I would have no stories to tell.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,207 Likes on 940 Posts

I smell a troll....Unless I missed it the OP never commented back on this.

Yup Definitely a troll Just a quick list of threads started by this troll...I count at least 3 different bikes he says he has

Last edited by Scudda; 05-08-2018 at 06:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Scudda:
Campy Roadie (05-08-2018), MacTarnahan (05-08-2018), SPRINGER (05-08-2018), TwiZted Biker (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 07:17 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow,, well, I'm VERY GLAD I don't worry about "What if" so much,, your life must be hell,, I'm sorry. I PLANNED on heading from NC to CA this month, actually in 2 day from now. I had figured on doing 2 x 1000 mile days in a row,, (registered iron butt's) but my Cardiologist decided otherwise,, was going to ride out to CA and come back with RFTW group,, then spend two days in DC with Rolling Thunder,, but alas, I'll be going under the knife May 22nd for a Valve Repair. I would have had many hours of road time, with "Dealers Closed" ... Good luck in your ventures my friend,,,

Originally Posted by Scudda

Yup Definitely a troll Just a quick list of threads started by this troll...I count at least 3 different bikes he says he has
WOW,,, pretty sad to have that much spare time on your hands to waste? HE must not have a life at all,,,,, LOL

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
It's why I never ride on Sunday, I could be stranded for hours.
Move to Kansas City, the dealerships are open on Sunday.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:29 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scudda

Excuse excuse me are you stupid or something? First off what did I say that makes you think I'm a troll? Case you didn't notice I'm not even the Op for this thread. And if your notice I've been a member for many years maybe 6 or 7 I have no idea. Did it ever occur to your small mind that people buy and sell bikes and could own more than a few bikes at one time?!? Fxdxt sold. Street Bob 2014 bought it new still have it. 1972 flh Shovelhead still have it. 2015 Honda CRF250L still have it. 1988 Ducati Paso sold. Course this is only since being a member here. Did you want mine complete bike history? F****** moron.
Edited to also mention the fact that I have commented back on every single thread I've ever started! My gosh some of you people on here are so f****** paranoid about searching for trolls it's like the f****** Russia investigation. Get a life.
​​​​​

Last edited by gi_king_ken; 05-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
WOW,,, pretty sad to have that much spare time on your hands to waste? HE must not have a life at all,,,,, LOL
Suspect he got bored trolling Craigslist.

And dude you own a shovelhead you wouldn't asking such a lame *** question like the first post, a shovel will wear that silliness out of you quick.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-08-2018 at 09:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
0maha (05-08-2018), AJSHOVEL (05-08-2018), SPRINGER (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Suspect he got bored trolling Craigslist.

And dude you own a shovelhead you wouldn't asking such a lame *** question like the first post, a shovel will wear that silliness out of you quick.
​​​​​​ Are you also a idiot?

​​​​​ I'm not the original OP! Holy **** there's a whole lot of stupid on here today.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Breakdown after dealerships are closed