Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Anyone have any bad experiences with cell phone / GPS holders with the built in USB port (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1232966-anyone-have-any-bad-experiences-with-cell-phone-gps-holders-with-the-built-in-usb-port.html)

Allfields 05-11-2018 10:46 AM

Anyone have any bad experiences with cell phone / GPS holders with the built in USB port

I want to finally try one of those cell phone / gps holders that attach to the bars or the mirror.
Has anyone had any bad experiences with them?
Has anyone had there phone blown off it?
Has anyone had any issues within a certain speed range?
I would like to know what to look out for or what I would need to tweak with certain types of holders?

Thank you in advance

RHPAW 05-11-2018 11:45 AM

Yeah, Someone in a minivan had one and they were so busy playing with it that they almost killed me.
They suck.

adm 05-11-2018 11:47 AM

Look at the Quad Lock mounts. I have tested them at over 110mph on naked bikes (of course on closed course circuits only <cough>).

Super solid, low profile and you can mount all sorts of things. Cellphones, GPS, heated gear controllers etc....

QuadLock

Personally, I use the bicycle version cable tied to the bars rather than the motorcycle specific version, but that is because it is lower profile and I can swap between my bikes and bicycles in no time at all.

Chilidog11 05-11-2018 12:38 PM

Ram Mount holders. Took a 4k trip and never had an issue.

DandSPro 05-11-2018 01:08 PM

Rockform phone mount system , I had one on my 2012 FLHTK when we lived on the mainland. You do have to keep it powered up . Phone gps’s use a lot of power .

Firenailer 05-12-2018 06:14 AM

Definitely look at the Rokform mount - really good system. Had them on a few bikes and they never fail to keep the phone secure.

rideon 05-12-2018 10:01 AM

Quad lock, very sleek and secure, highly recommend!

From_Behind 05-12-2018 10:18 AM

You're gonna get lots of suggestions about the "Hawg Hook" and the "Maxi Mount" and the "iStay", and whatever the newest motorcycle rally vendor startup of the season is.

Save yourself time and money, and just get a Ram Mount X-Grip phone mount. It's simply awesome. It's universally available, and it's a sturdy, secure mount to mount your device on your bars, putting it in a perfect position for charging and navigation.

TeaRunner 05-12-2018 11:31 AM

Use the RAM xgrip also, well used it. Works great, also very easy to put your phone in and take out. Some of these mounts take forever to get your phone in and out of watch out for that. It'll just annoy you.

GHarris 05-12-2018 12:08 PM

I've been using Ram Mount X mounts on ATVs, my zero turn mower and my Road King. I've never had an issue at all. I won't buy anything else. I've seen several cheap all plastic mounts break over the years. But never seen a broken Ram Mount unless it was in a crash.