General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenching?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Mechanically, I have tackled anything short of engine / transmission work but now chose to spend my free time riding instead of wrenching, especially with the expansion of all the electronics in today’s bikes.

People have different skill sets. One doesn’t make you more of a man than others. I am not a mechanic, but I am a retired Green Beret who still works in national security. I am impressed by a man’s competence and passion in his field more than I am the field itself. A busy doctor or IT professional is no less of a man than a blue collar, mechanically inclined, worker regardless of what some people’s egos say.

It doesn’t matter how you get stuff done. It just matters that you get it done.

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by zen1300
I see so many posts where folks are paying the dealer to wrench on their bikes (Stage 1, 2, pipes/carb adjust, etc.).

The parts are expensive enough, why do so many people pay the dealer?
I didn't bother to read all the replies, but it comes down to one of two things: skill or money.

Money: I've got a friend who does very well. He drops his bike off and they give him a loaner (because he could write them a check if he crashes it). He doesn't have the tools or desire to do it himself. Buys a new bike every 2 years. The dealer bends over backwards for him and he'd just rather not bother. Could he do it himself, yes. But, he's got f-u money so he doesn't.

Skill: Join a sport bike forum for a few months. Some people just don't understand why they do something, let alone how to do it. So many self inflicted problems it's not even funny. The commonality is that they all thought they could do it. When you thread a course threaded screw into a plastic hole, do you turn it backwards until you feel it drop into the threads, or do you just insert and go? Do you know how to convert ft lbs to in lbs? Do you even know what a torque wrench is? Basic mechanical experience (ability is secondary) is absent in a lot of people. Frankly, a motorcycle is not the place to gain it.

So if you don't know how, you pay someone. If the expense doesn't bother you, you pay someone. What do you do if you don't have the money or experience? You start a "help me" thread on a forum.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Work on everything of mine from 2 wheels to 4..... Big or small mods or repairs..... Why? Like the old saying..... No one is gonna care for your ****, like you will.......

Old 05-27-2018, 11:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Even today 80% of all learning is through trial and error. There were no schools when the Minoan, Greek, Roman and Egyptian engineers and architects built structures and system that today's engineers with phds can't even figure out.

Tear into it. You will learn how. Lay it out in the shape and sequence that the fasteners were removed. Put back in reverse sequence. It is not skill it is the capacity to observe and analyze.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:47 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Tear into it. You will learn how. Lay it out in the shape and sequence that the fasteners were removed. Put back in reverse sequence. It is not skill it is the capacity to observe and analyze.
Cell phones are great. I like to take pics for later reference on how spacers and such are oriented so that I make sure to put everything back where it belongs.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:06 PM
phil48315
Road Warrior
Received 1,596 Likes on 504 Posts

I am retired and still can't get away from wrenching.
All my buddies keep buying cars and have me working on them.

61 Vette this summer.

91 Mustang LX 5.0 Auto.

And currently this 1963 Corvette.

Marsikus (02-06-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 09:57 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Lets just say the average harley rider today isn't what they used to be. Was you had to be a man to ride one now it just a takes a good credit rating..

And in their defense bikes today are not exactly user friendly when it comes to wrenching, oop's cost's lots more....
watch Kevin Baxter’s latest YouTube video on diagnostics, and that’s an early 2000’s bike 😳
watch on YouTube

Last edited by Backforty; 02-04-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:18 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,393 Posts

I wrench on my own bike because I aint got ****in money to spend on dealership hours. 160$ an hour is enough motivation for me to learn to do it myself. I got a service manual and access to youtube and the various harley forums.
Learning aint hard.

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Cell phones are great. I like to take pics for later reference on how spacers and such are oriented so that I make sure to put everything back where it belongs.

I wear a headcam every time I install something on my bike so I can get an exact record of what I did and how and how it came apart if necessary.
It's been a really useful thing for not just my own records and memory but taking snapshots for other people and getting them images of things they want to know about.
IT's not perfect or flawless but it helps a lot with tracking what you were doing.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 02-05-2023 at 02:20 AM.
MarlinSpike (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 09:46 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,028 Posts

I can afford to pay for it, but I don't trust anybody else to work on my stuff.

I turned wrenches for a living for a long time, and now run 3 shops that repair other people's engines, etc.

I have all the tooling, and still enjoy wrenching. Every single time I pay someone to do repairs for me, something goes wrong, I would just rather do it myself.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:53 AM
Bikes and Boards
Tourer
Received 223 Likes on 141 Posts

I pay my local shop their rate, because I know THEY know what they are doing and it's below my hourly billing rate. (if I can do what I do well, and pay someone what they do well, we all win)

Quick Reply: Wrenching?