General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenching?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i just don't want to mess up the internals, so I may let the dealer do the cams.

I do Stage 1 stuff 24/7, i had some guys from a club come buy some slips, i had leather gloves & dewalt impact driver, had the slip ons swapped and got paid in like 25 minutes, and they were like DANG!!

bonus parts if you guys can guess what I went shopping for today?

here's a good thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ust-drain.html

Last edited by 04ctd; 05-17-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by JackStaff
A DIY individual is a DIY individual, p/o their DNA! Whether it's building a fence, a storage barn, pouring cement or wrenching - it's what they do! Just a fact! I've known guys that will build a fence that is out of plumb, crooked, uneven, weak and ugly but although acknowledging the fact will spend hours on how they constructed the aforementioned, out of plumb, crooked, weak and ugly fence - they're proud of it? The second fence they build is usually a work of art!
So that's my problem! It's in my DNA! Add to it motorcycling is in my blood. No little red and white blood cells coursing through my veins and arteries. It's little red and white motorcycles! Now it's all starting to make perfect sense!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
So that's my problem! It's in my DNA! Add to it motorcycling is in my blood. No little red and white blood cells coursing through my veins and arteries. It's little red and white motorcycles! Now it's all starting to make perfect sense!
You sound like my daughter now.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

I ain't no kinda super wrench, but I did grow up poor with grandparents who'd been dirt-poor kids during the Depression & a dad who was scooter trash & a wrench by trade. Watched/fetched tools/helped grandpa keep '37 Plymouth & '52 Chevy dump trucks running & my dad & his buds keep various Ironhead Sporties, Shovels, Pans, Knuckles, etc., even old Yami XS 650s on the road (& often from the side of the road).

Nowadays, I still don't particularly have a lot of money & not a lot of time for that matter. Frequently, if I want something done, I find that I can afford the parts to do something to my bike, but definitely can't afford the labor (even if I had a reputable indy close by, which I'm not convinced of). As an example, I recently put a set of cams in my '02 FXD & was nervous as hell about it, as I'd never been that far inside a Harley engine unsupervised. Also didn't have the $1K or so in labor to have someone else do it. I'm good with my hands, however, have the FSM & a pretty well stocked toolbox, so I rooted around the internet for advice & tips & went for it. Probably took me 10x longer to do it than a pro, but I eventually got it done & couldn't be happier with the results.

I'm not "old school" by any means, nor do I particularly enjoy turning wrenches (making sawdust is my "bag"), but my tightwad, midwestern German DNA will not let me pay someone else to do what I can do for myself. With every bolt I turn, with every pieces/part of my bike that I physically put my hands on, I learn my ride & her inner workings that much better & am that much better prepared to deal with whatever may go wrong with 'er, should something go **** up on me. Plus, I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,809 Posts

People's Aptitude and Skills are different...A "Failure" (pick any part or system) is a Catastrophe to some and merely an "Inconvenience" to others

Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
People's Aptitude and Skills are different...A "Failure" (pick any part or system) is a Catastrophe to some and merely an "Inconvenience" to others
And an "Opportunity" to still others.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,809 Posts

True Dat...but that can also be included with the above

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I'm guessing it's because those folks are not mechanically inclined or not in good enough physical condition to wrench on their motorcycle. .
Good enough physical condition? It's not like you're gonna be bench pressing the engine. You can pretty much just sit there and do about everything.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,472 Likes on 6,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Good enough physical condition? It's not like you're gonna be bench pressing the engine. You can pretty much just sit there and do about everything.
A lot of Harley riders look like all they can fix is a sandwich....

The following 2 users liked this post by Tommy C:
Halojumper (05-21-2018), TwiZted Biker (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by George Vee
Back in the early 70's I learned to wrench my bikes because I couldn't afford not to and it became a hobby of mine.
Same here. I started in the early 70's on a rat pan. I learned quickly how to keep it running, even if just sometimes limping along. In the early 80's I put a shovel top on it and de-ratted it and made it into a fairly decent chopper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrenching?