General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer riding jacket

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Tourmaster Draft Air 2 or 3.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Well, this may be a different opinion, but I have a custom made Langlitz Cascade leather jacket that I wear all year round.

It has no thermal liners, no pit vents, no nothing other than the beautiful leather itself and an incredibly tough liner that needs to wear in about as much as the leather does.

(Full disclosure: I also own Harley FXRG, AlpineStars and various other jackets)

If it's really cold, I wear the Langlitz with a t-shirt and a Warm'n'Safe heated jacket liner. Maybe also a Merino wool base layer.

If it's just cold, then a Merino base layer, t-shirt and the jacket.

If it's warm, then just the jacket and the t-shirt.

If it's really hot, then still just the t-shirt and jacket......but I open the front zip a bit and the airflow is awesome. Straight in through the chest, round the torso and out through the back and arms. Perfect.

Those guys seriously know how to engineer an all year round jacket. You just need the right layering strategy to make it work for you.

The only downside is it does get hot if you are stopped for a while. But then I use a revolutionary strategy I like to call "taking your jacket off".

The Langlitz is probably the best leather jacket I will ever own. But almost certainly not the last one.

So yeah. Fonz style!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

I just picked up a Speed & Strength "Midnight Express" jacket from Revzilla & am very happy with it. CE armor in forearm/elbows, shoulders & spine protector. Nothing fancy & no liner, but very comfortable & great ventilation.

I've been doing the vest & beanie for too long & realized I've got too much money into my ink to risk scrubbing it off on the asphalt. It gets hot here & while my fat *** ain't never gonna shoe-horn itself into a set of full leathers again, I feel a lot better with something a bit more substantial than a t-shirt. Replaced the beanie with Biltwell Bonanza & their amber shield
while I was at it. So much more quiet & comfortable & the amber lens is great for contrast & depth perception.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 AM
vivid_black
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
I have a Harley mesh jacket from last spring. Ordered a silver jacket, but it is mostly black, which is tolerable riding, but hot going slow or stopped. It had pockets for armor, but the pads were optional. (Being Harley would you expect any less?) I have a Pilot Direct Air V3 on order, which is mesh and comes with armor in shoulders, elbows and back. I got the white with a little red trim. $160 shipped.
http://www.pilotmotosport.com/
Hi there, which Harley jacket do you have and how does it compare to the pilot?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:43 PM
17VelRedSGS
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked up a Bilt Techno jacket from Cycle Gear this year. It's affordable ($119) and has good features for the money (light armor, liner, etc). You can spend as much or as little as you want on jackets for sure, but not much risk in trying this one out. I put the liner in below 60, and have ridden in the 40's with no issues. Could probably go lower. I've also ridden (without liner) up to the 90's.

It goes on sale frequently, so don't pay the $179 msrp.

P.S. I also have a Joe Rocket leather jacket that goes back to the 1990's. Love it too, but its a bit snug these days.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
This is the one I wear. Harley Mecca. Great down to 45 degrees and without the liner in Alabama in July I was ok. I also wear ATGATT and just ventured into the kevlar lines jeans. *** and hips and knees are lined. The kevlar is actually more comfortable on hot days than the denim which usually rips the hair out of my legs when I get sweaty. Like anything. You get what you pay for.

I'm looking to get the Mecca Textile & Mesh jacket. None in stock anywhere near me. Looking to get some advise on size. I’m usually a 44-46 jacket and wear 38 in. jeans. I got a beer belly but not a full chest. Anyone?

Old 02-26-2019, 03:26 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Look at mesh jackets with armour.
lots of makers and options out there.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed

I'm looking to get the Mecca Textile & Mesh jacket. None in stock anywhere near me. Looking to get some advise on size. I’m usually a 44-46 jacket and wear 38 in. jeans. I got a beer belly but not a full chest. Anyone?
Take a look at the size chart.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ng-jacket#tabs

Old 02-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, I did. I always seem to be on the line. I've returned more than one jacket I thought would fit me. The chart never says roomy cut or snug. I really need to try on two side by side but nobody is stocking. Maybe when it gets warmer.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:30 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed

I dont know if I can help I'm the opposite 34/36 waist 54" chest the one I'm wearing is a 2XL. It fits my shoulders good but I have a lot of room in the mid section the XL fit almost like a glove until I raised my arms up and it got tight under my arms. Dojt want to say what one would fit and seeing how I'm not a normal build I cant say if they're true to size dreading a wedding because I have to get the shirt and jacket tailored to fit. It's a PITA.

Quick Reply: Summer riding jacket