General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist dies after crash caused by pothole

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 AM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

What a tragedy. I assumed that the pothole problem was a problem only here in the Northeast, didn't realize the south was affected as well. We have stretches of road here that look like they were hit by mortar fire. I refuse to ride the Long Island Expressway at night,because there are ruts between the lanes and potholes big enough to kill a biker. We pay some of the highest taxes in the nation I love to know where our money goes. The roads here are in the worst condition I've seen since I got my license ,40 plus years ago.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:26 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

You can't just say should have left more room. In Metro areas if you leave enough room in front of yourself someone will dart in front of you. I drive in Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta several times a year and it is just crazy.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,113 Likes on 11,090 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
The roads here, blah! South Carolina owes me a front end alignment!
Check out the moonscape in Detroit. Might need to move up to a dual purpose motorcycle to navigate these hazards.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-18-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,240 Likes on 6,001 Posts

I swear if I were followed by the police on some roads, I would get pulled over for drunk driving....the way you have to weave in and around pot holes.....

Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,827 Likes on 1,441 Posts
Default Detroit Streets

Holy bomb craters upflying! That road in the video is unreal. I guess Syracuse is in line for the same. We too are broke and have a connection to Detroit. A former 'Cuse hoopster was your mayor.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Where's all that infrastructure money to fix this crap we've been hearing all the politicians run their blowholes about to fix these kinds of problems?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with Wendy's family and friends. This thread would have been bad enough with the news of the riders death but man I am so depressed after reading it I may just have to sell both my bikes even though the roads aren't in as bad a shape around here as it sounds like they are everywhere else.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep that's Detroit for you. There are many roads that I refuse to ride or drive on. They all look just like that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbroke
What a tragedy. I assumed that the pothole problem was a problem only here in the Northeast, didn't realize the south was affected as well. We have stretches of road here that look like they were hit by mortar fire. I refuse to ride the Long Island Expressway at night,because there are ruts between the lanes and potholes big enough to kill a biker. We pay some of the highest taxes in the nation I love to know where our money goes. The roads here are in the worst condition I've seen since I got my license ,40 plus years ago.
It goes to the politicians in Albany who waste it. Or steal it.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

We have a new gasoline tax, just to "fix" our roads, here in California. 40 million people buying gasoline adds up fast. The State also hit diesel fuel with a 12 cpg increase. Got any idea how many gallons of diesel are sold/consumed per day in California? A lot!

And our roads are in worse shape than Mexico's. (I'm not kidding as we were on the "Quota Hwy" recently.) It is smooth and clean and well maintained. At least it was to Ensenada. Don't know about South of that.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist dies after crash caused by pothole