General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular helmets- do you use their feature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Hi, I am in the market for a full-face helmet and am wondering how often you use the "modular" feature (open position) on a modular helmet?
In your experience, would you buy a modular helmet again or would you go with a full-face helmet instead?
How often do I use it? All the time. Every time I put it on, or take it off, at red lights, when talking to people, etc.

I wear glasses, so a full face is basically not an option for me.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by gi_king_ken
Modular helmets are very handy. They give you many of the benefits of a 3/4 and full face combined. But keep in mind that it only gives you as much protection in a crash as a 3/4 helmet. The only thing the front area is going to protect you from is rain. Not that this is a problem if you normally ride with a 3/4 helmet a lot of people I've spoke to seem to be confused and think it will give them as much protection as a full face. In a way it gives them a false sense of security.
So the chin bar on this helmet just evaporates or pops off if it hits something?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec-ii-features-detail

Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

I find that the modular design allows for a tighter fit around the neck reducing noise inside the helmet. I like being able to lift it while stopped at a signal or while fueling up. I have the helmet pictured below and love it. I also have the integrated comm unit in it which I really like.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a Nolan modular and am basically happy with it. To open it you have to use two fingers on a two lever latch. This is to help preventing it to open in a crash. I am also able to ride with it open with no ill effects. My only gripe is that it is a little heavy for me. I have developed arthritis in my neck and I get a sore neck on longer rides. I may have to start looking for a lighter helmet but I hate to do without a modular. I wear glasses too.
kk

Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM
ebucky
Intermediate
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Modular for me is a full face replacement. I like the coverage for colder weather riding and flip up the chin for all the instances already discussed, plus to get through a security gate so they can see & chat with me for a few seconds. Use a 3/4 & 1/2 for warmer weather.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rbdub474
I find that the modular design allows for a tighter fit around the neck reducing noise inside the helmet. I like being able to lift it while stopped at a signal or while fueling up. I have the helmet pictured below and love it. I also have the integrated comm unit in it which I really like.

Which one is that?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,626 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
How often do I use it? All the time. Every time I put it on, or take it off, at red lights, when talking to people, etc.

I wear glasses, so a full face is basically not an option for me.

Why not? I wear prescription glasses 100% of the time when I ride, and more than half my riding is done with a FF helmet.

Pretty much all quality FF helmets sold now are eyeglass friendly, with channels in the liner to make putting on/taking off your glasses a snap.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I have one and the only time I use the feature is to put it on while wearing sunglasses or to change glasses if I already have it on. Other than that it's just another full face bucket.

Oh yea, and if I having a quick sip of whatever.

Last edited by Hey Man; 05-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by gi_king_ken
Modular helmets are very handy. They give you many of the benefits of a 3/4 and full face combined. But keep in mind that it only gives you as much protection in a crash as a 3/4 helmet.
This is not really true. Good modular helmets offer excellent face and chin protection. Cheap ones may not.

Look at Schuberth and Shoei - these are typically the choices of Police riders and have very strong chin protectors and locking mechanisms. Granted, probably not 100% as strong as a FF, but close enough.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Why not? I wear prescription glasses 100% of the time when I ride, and more than half my riding is done with a FF helmet.

Pretty much all quality FF helmets sold now are eyeglass friendly, with channels in the liner to make putting on/taking off your glasses a snap.

Because you don't need channels and you won't wreck your glasses if you forget to take them off before taking the helmet off.

Quick Reply: Modular helmets- do you use their feature?