General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular helmets- do you use their feature?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Which one is that?
That is a Schuberth C3 Pro.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Why not? I wear prescription glasses 100% of the time when I ride, and more than half my riding is done with a FF helmet.

Pretty much all quality FF helmets sold now are eyeglass friendly, with channels in the liner to make putting on/taking off your glasses a snap.
I have never tried on a FF that allowed me to keep my glasses on when putting it on, or taking it off: they are too snug. That was a few years ago however and I don't try on helmets very often.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Can't say enough positive about our Schuberth modular's. Both the wife and I ride our own bikes in all kinds of weather (you can't run back to your garage when your over a thousand miles from home) and have worn modulars for over 10 years now. I was on a CBR1000RR, wearing a Nolan modular and I hit a deer with enough force to knock myself out and blow the faceshield off the helmet, BUT the chinbar didn't turn to cheese as is suggested. In fact, doctor claimed had I not had a chin-bar I'd have broken my neck in the forward rotation of my head after the back hit the pavement. Enough about the safety
We find the helmets light, quiet and have excellent peripheral vision. Getting glasses on and off is easy, even with wet cold fingers.
The FF/modular also helps slow down the effect of leather face from the elements.
The only "negative" for some is you have to pay for what you get; but if the shekel was the most important factor, we wouldn't be discussing this on a Harley board

The following users liked this post:
Lopro (06-01-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM
tazzio
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a modular, and I can vouch for the fact it's good protection for your face. I crashed and the helmet probably saved me from having at the very least, a skinned up jaw, the damage was from the left ear area, around the front all the way around to the back of the helmet, with the most damage on the chin bar. It looks like someone took a grinder to it. It was an HJC Symax. I replaced it with the HJC Ralfa Max. it has a sun shield you can drop down or retract, so no need for sun glasses.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm the only one in my group of Harley riders that wears anything but a "skid lid". Modular (Shoei Neotech) and armor jacket all the time for me. I don't have that much time left and I'm not planning on wasting any of it being dead. I can't get my glasses on or off with the chin bar down (on a properly fitting modular helmet) and don't know how I would manage with a full face...

Just an addition to what Tazzio posted. My helmet has an integral sun shield and with sunglasses and the shield down, I think you could weld. You can see riding directly into the afternoon sun.

Last edited by judgedelta; 05-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

OMG, I probably open and close my modular a 100 times on a ride. Especially if it's hot out. Pretty much every red light.... Pop, up it comes. At every stop, every fill up, every time I gotta spit. Never doing a full face again. The convience is off the charts, when paired with the upgraded safety over an open face or half helmet.
I'm a believer.

The following 2 users liked this post by bikerlaw:
Capt Steve (05-19-2018), Lopro (06-01-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a HJC modular. Pros are that when its hot out and your stopped, just pop it open for some air. Easy on. Con for me is that it is noisy. I really didnt care for the sun shield as always wore sunglasses with the helmet on. The shade wasnt dark enough and a pain to clean. Had problems with the chin falling down while up due to the screws coming loose. Pin lock feature works great in rain/cold.

I switched to a Shoei full face. It is lighter, but costs are higher given the name. It is still a pain to put on, but am still breaking it in. Surprisingly just a little quieter than my HJC. Pinlock feature is great. Periphreal/side vision is much better, but maybe just the design of Shoei.

I wish I bought another modular.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 AM
Skidd-au
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly the Shoei Neotech II is a modular that has DOT and CE certification as both an open and full face helmet. So under testing the chin bar rates just as well as other full face helmets.

Last edited by Skidd-au; 05-17-2018 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Capt Steve (05-19-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Since around 2001 all the time for most of the reasons already mentioned. But I find them noisier than a reg. full, and heavier but there have been a lot of improvements over the yrs and I wear ear plugs. I have found vision restrictions of a full helmet easier to deal with in certain situations because I can flip it up. I went to one when I started wearing glasses. I would suggest you look into face shield fogging control methods if you are interested in one.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
So the chin bar on this helmet just evaporates or pops off if it hits something?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec-ii-features-detail
Yes their are a few that are almost as good and are certified. But most will just evaporate into you face. But hey some don't even wear a helmet so it's all down to personal choice. But it's good to be informed.

Last edited by gi_king_ken; 05-17-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Fix grammar mistake before Nazis attack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modular helmets- do you use their feature?