General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular helmets- do you use their feature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

I really like a modular in the winter. YES I do use the flip up feature a lot, especially when putting it on and pulling it off.

I mainly wear a Bell Pit Boss half helmet. I just purchased a NEW Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 which I wore to DC this past weekend. It was excellent in the rain. Lightweight, good ventilation, crystal clear shield and just plain comfortable.

I just sold my Harley / HJC modular on eBay and plan to replace it with a Shoei NeoTech II before winter. I saw two of the new ones in DC with build in blue tooth and they are SHARP!

Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
Might want to tell that to the folks at SNELL. Apparently they haven't heard about this:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec-ii-features-detail
I found this to be very interesting about SNELL. Good read IMO.

http://www.mcrider.com/snell-motorcy...ication-rated/

If this is in fact correct, SNELL means nothing. I used to think it did. The link at the end of the article goes to the EU site that does ratings.

I use a Neotec (not a 2) for disclosure. Love it. Comfortable and quiet. If Arai made a modular I might have gone with one of them. They don’t and I’ve owned both Arai and Shoei before. Both very good helmets though.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:20 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 115th FLHXS
I found this to be very interesting about SNELL. Good read IMO.
http://www.mcrider.com/snell-motorcy...ication-rated/
If this is in fact correct, SNELL means nothing. I used to think it did. The link at the end of the article goes to the EU site that does ratings.
I use a Neotec (not a 2) for disclosure. Love it. Comfortable and quiet. If Arai made a modular I might have gone with one of them. They don’t and I’ve owned both Arai and Shoei before. Both very good helmets though.

Thanks for posting this synopsis on helmet testing and standards. Having worked in the safety industry, we already questioned SNELL standards based on accident reviews. Statistically the extra SNELL rating made zero difference in helmet performance. Brain injury is hard to compare and very few accidents provide accurate data on the first impact. We get a lot more information once the rider is on the tarmack and we can compare marks on the road surface and damage/wear to helmet, clothing, boots, gloves etc.

It is through accident statistics that fullface and modular helmets compare evenly and are grouped together. If modulars popped open, that information would be posted and separated from other helmets, or added to open face/3/4 style. But they do not pop open, so in reality, they act as fullface and are categorized as such for accident statistics.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 05-31-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: corrected misspelt word ore to more
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

In accidents where head impacts occur, you are most likely to take it in the chin area as over 1/3 of impacts occur in this area. Most other impact points are to side of the head head and face. Even if the modular portion came undone in an impact it would still provide protection as it is the impact force that is absorbed by the material and it doesnt matter if its FF or Modular, your chin is going to get bashed into the front of the helmet when hit in this area.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Quoted from the aforementioned link (http://www.mcrider.com/snell-motorcy...ication-rated/): "Some manufacturers, including Arai and HJC, use a one-piece liner with two different densities molded together."

I choose to wear HJC helmets because I find them comfortable to wear and easy on the wallet. Glad to see them use the same liner design as Arai, a premium brand.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I race boats under sanctions by the American Power Boat Assoc.(APBA) A couple of years ago APBA was revisiting helmet requirements. They were looking at not using the DOT Certification as minimum standard for helmets used in their sanctioned racing. The proposal was for the Snell Certification to be the new requirement. I read several articles at the time covering testing for helmets. I found that DOT helmets are certified by the manufacturer as meeting the requirements as set for by the Dept. of Transportation. No 2nd party or independent testing is done. With the Snell Standard, helmets are submitted by the manufacturer to the Snell Foundation for testing and certification.

While researching all of this I found that there was another standard for helmets. It is the ECE R 22.05 or commonly called the European Standard. The organization that does the certification, buys the helmets for testing on the open market. The difference from Snell in their testing is that they are more concerned with concussions as opposed to penetration which is the main criteria for Snell. They found that in most crashes that penetration of the shell was not the major problem but the rate of deceleration and concussion was a bigger problem. Consequently they felt the construction of the liner is more important.

In past years I have always insisted on wearing helmets that met the Snell standard. I now wear helmets that meet the ECE standard. Unfortunately APBA doesn't recognise the ECE standard. I wasn't able to find a bright orange or yellow, required in boat racing, with both an ECE and Snell certification at a reasonable price. Fortunately Scorpion makes a bright yellow helmet with Snell Certification at a good price also with a good SHARP rating that fits well and is comfortable. For bike riding I have an ECE rated Nolan N104 modular that I like very much. I also have a TORQ helmet which is ECE rated but it is very noisy which I put on the shelf shortly after buying. I will insist on trying any helmet I buy in the future on the road. My 2 cents.
kk