Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Modular helmets- do you use their feature? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1233753-modular-helmets-do-you-use-their-feature.html)

Labrador 05-16-2018 08:49 AM

Modular helmets- do you use their feature?

Hi, I am in the market for a full-face helmet and am wondering how often you use the "modular" feature (open position) on a modular helmet?

I have tried them at the store and find them heavier and more expensive than a regular full-face helmet. I am also concerned that the front may open on contact during a fall since the button is in the chin area. I own a half-helmet and a 3/4 helmet so I really don't have a need for an open face helmet.

In your experience, would you buy a modular helmet again or would you go with a full-face helmet instead?

Jules 05-16-2018 08:59 AM

I had a modular for a while, once I quit smoking I didn’t see a use for it anymore and gave it to my wife. She wore it for a few more years then quit smoking herself, doubt she wears it this year.

The only use i ever saw was to be able to have a quick smoke, otherwise I just take the whole thing off

QC 05-16-2018 08:59 AM

I would buy another one. They’re easier to get on and off, particularly if you wear glasses.

BTLorys 05-16-2018 09:05 AM

I have a modular for snowmobiling, love it for that but I don't like it on a motorcycle. About the only benefit I could think of would be for stop and go traffic you could lift up the modular part. For me, I am almost never in stop and go so I think you'd be better off with a full face.

Prof Rene 05-16-2018 09:10 AM

I have a modular and a 3/4 helmet. I never had my Modular open up on me or become a problem. I like having the ability to open it at a light and talk to another rider or person for whatever reason. I also found it useful when you wanted to go into a gas station and not to take off your helmet you could just lift the face part.
I have the HJC modular and although you can open it, you cannot ride with it open. I did see one that will do that recently and I am actually thinking about getting that as my next helmet. It is an LS2 Valiant model. The mouth (chin) part will sit on the back of the helmet while you ride as a 3/4 out of the way. I do not know about the quality or safety of the helmet (yet).
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...464a0d1f8c.jpg

gi_king_ken 05-16-2018 09:25 AM

Modular helmets are very handy. They give you many of the benefits of a 3/4 and full face combined. But keep in mind that it only gives you as much protection in a crash as a 3/4 helmet. The only thing the front area is going to protect you from is rain. Not that this is a problem if you normally ride with a 3/4 helmet a lot of people I've spoke to seem to be confused and think it will give them as much protection as a full face. In a way it gives them a false sense of security.

son of the hounds 05-16-2018 09:39 AM

The police use modulars. They are my fall/winter, cold raining helmet. Summer we use 3/4 with flip face shield.

My modular is slightly heavier than my same brand full face, but it fits better, is quieter below 55. I do like the feature of the flip up chin or visor. I use both. Rarely take the helmet off when gassing up.

Since it is a cooler wetter weather helmet for me, the slight extra weight is no issue.

If we wore full face all the time, especially touring for weeks in the summer, I suspect we'd revisit the issue of a full vs a modular for the weight. But my brand fits me well, is quiet and water tight in downpours.

It is certainly easier to don and remove as well.

But questions like this have no answer as your experience is really not mine. You need to try on both and be happy with your selection. My riding friends wear 1/2 helmets and bring a full helmet to deal with Yellowstone type rains. We both wear 3/4 with shields and I always lead in the pouring rain as I can see better. Do what makes you happy.

TeaRunner 05-16-2018 09:47 AM

I use it all the time. It makes the helmet ten times easier to take on/off than a FF, especially if you wear glasses. Hate FF yanking on my face taking it off, especially my nose.

As opposed to the 3/4 helmet, you can get a chin curtain for most of them to help seal out air flow for cold weather riding which in turn also helps with entertainment/phone systems. On hot days, I'll pop the full front open at stops to help cool off, also been known just ride with the lid open to cool off around town.

sailmotion 05-16-2018 10:01 AM

If I could only have one (1) helmet, it would be a modular. My well-worn modular is regrettably due for replacement. While I hate the price tag [ouch!], I'm considering a Shoei NeoTec 2.

dceggert 05-16-2018 10:05 AM

I had a Nolan N104 for the last 6 years, a Schuberth C2 and Concept before that, and a Shoei Duotech before that. I have started using a new Shark Evo One v2 for this season. In the other modulars the chinbar, when open, sits on top of the head creating a huge sail and the face shield is not available. On the Shark the chinbar rotates all the way to the back creating a 3/4 config and the shield is available. So far it works great and I am looking forward to a long use cycle!