Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   New Generations not buying bikes. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1233914-new-generations-not-buying-bikes.html)

Studlintsean 07-12-2018 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by army_eod (Post 17505718)
I agree about younger generation. Us old geezers grew up in the 50s and 60s and knew how to do things ourselves and were good at it.
Younger folks have been brainwashed into stupidity and are not competent at anything useful, in my opinion. Video game skills count for nothing in my world.
We were iron men with wooden ships.
They are not even men or women anymore. They don't even know there is a difference. They could not change a light bulb most of the time, let alone work on a 1966 Triumph Bonny.
Just my unbiased opinion, of course.
So no wonder they don't buy or ride bikes. Hell, most of them never even rode a bicycle.

Can’t change a light bulb? Most never rode a bicycle? You don’t really believe this do you? I agree today’s generation is different but most millennials were born in the 80s and early 90s and video games were nothing like they are today.

To generalize an entire generation is a bit ridiculous. This last week I painted my entire main level of the house, built some furniture for a nursery, rode a few hundred miles, cut the grass, worked as an accountant, drank some good beers at a brewery and by a bonfire, watched zero TV, and played zero video games. Maybe I’m just the exception.

Yamaharley 07-12-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Studlintsean (Post 17505892)

Can’t change a light bulb? Most never rode a bicycle? You don’t really believe this do you? I agree today’s generation is different but most millennials were born in the 80s and early 90s and video games were nothing like they are today.

To generalize an entire generation is a bit ridiculous. This last week I painted my entire main level of the house, built some furniture for a nursery, rode a few hundred miles, cut the grass, worked as an accountant, drank some good beers at a brewery and by a bonfire, watched zero TV, and played zero video games. Maybe I’m just the exception.

Nope. Old folk on here generalize too much. Im a millennial too and i barely fit the mold they portray. It gets annoying the whole blame millennial/millennials are worthless thing.

Redoilokie 07-12-2018 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaharley (Post 17505966)
Nope. Old folk on here generalize too much. Im a millennial too and i barely fit the mold they portray. It gets annoying the whole blame millennial/millennials are worthless thing.

The fact that your hurt feelings lead you to constantly post in millennial threads lends a little credibility to the theory. Just saying.

edteach 07-12-2018 07:30 AM

Generalizations never are 100%. But I can tell you in the 80s and 90s Video games were huge. in the 80s every town of any size had a huge video arcade that the kids would hang out in every min. In the 90s is when the 3rd and 4th gen video games can on line. My work would take me to places where we had to stay in a motel for a week or so at a time. My Brother who is 30 today and still plays games like a 13 year old and is his only hobby would take a game and play it back then till I pulled the plug because we had to sleep. I played games back in the 80s it was new and interesting. But as I aged it became something I could spend an hour or two every 6 months on. I would rather read a book or watch a good movie, built something or do something. Go for a hike. The biggest problem I see with the Millennial gen. is many are spoiled. I had it better than my Parents and Grandparents but still I had to feed the cows, chickens and water them, Help farm, and kill and can and cut and stack wood for winter. Now they are many times given a smart phone that they can see what is happening on the other side of the world in the palm of their hand at any moment. I can remember when my dad bought an RCA color tv. 19 inch. We were one of the first to get one in our area. When the MT started to weaken he bought another and gave me the set. It was fuzzy and not clear and we only had 4 channels to get, ABC NBC PBS and CBS. and could not get all 4 on any particular day. I thought I was king of the world. Then my dad gave me his worn out lazy boy when he got a new one and in my bedroom I had a TV and Lazy boy. I felt like Little lord Fauntleroy. Today's kids would think it was time to take out my junk and clean up the room.

Also how many kids are given or have nice new newer cars? My fist car was a 71 AMC. When the breaks went out I had to change them. My dad would say there is the ditch by the house park it over the ditch and pull the tires I will come out to see what you are doing. I pulled my Transmission by my self to put in a new clutch and pressure plate. Today's kids [again most not all] take their car into the nearest Walmart to get the oil changed. would not know a break pad from a shoe. So is there a difference, yep there sure is. Again not all Millennial fit this but many many do.

It works the other ways also. Many older people pre boomer gen, the greatest gen, think Marijuana is a gate way drug and you are a hippie addict if you use it. Some of their views are very antiquated and just wrong. They are very set many times in their way of thinking.

Redoilokie 07-12-2018 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by edteach (Post 17506008)
Generalizations never are 100%. But I can tell you in the 80s and 90s Video games were huge. in the 80s every town of any size had a huge video arcade that the kids would hang out in every min. In the 90s is when the 3rd and 4th gen video games can on line. My work would take me to places where we had to stay in a motel for a week or so at a time. My Brother who is 30 today and still plays games like a 13 year old and is his only hobby would take a game and play it back then till I pulled the plug because we had to sleep. I played games back in the 80s it was new and interesting. But as I aged it became something I could spend an hour or two every 6 months on. I would rather read a book or watch a good movie, built something or do something. Go for a hike. The biggest problem I see with the Millennial gen. is many are spoiled. I had it better than my Parents and Grandparents but still I had to feed the cows, chickens and water them, Help farm, and kill and can and cut and stack wood for winter. Now they are many times given a smart phone that they can see what is happening on the other side of the world in the palm of their hand at any moment. I can remember when my dad bought an RCA color tv. 19 inch. We were one of the first to get one in our area. When the MT started to weaken he bought another and gave me the set. It was fuzzy and not clear and we only had 4 channels to get, ABC NBC PBS and CBS. and could not get all 4 on any particular day. I thought I was king of the world. Then my dad gave me his worn out lazy boy when he got a new one and in my bedroom I had a TV and Lazy boy. I felt like Little lord Fauntleroy. Today's kids would think it was time to take out my junk and clean up the room.

Also how many kids are given or have nice new newer cars? My fist car was a 71 AMC. When the breaks went out I had to change them. My dad would say there is the ditch by the house park it over the ditch and pull the tires I will come out to see what you are doing. I pulled my Transmission by my self to put in a new clutch and pressure plate. Today's kids [again most not all] take their car into the nearest Walmart to get the oil changed. would not know a break pad from a shoe. So is there a difference, yep there sure is. Again not all Millennial fit this but many many do.

It works the other ways also. Many older people pre boomer gen, the greatest gen, think Marijuana is a gate way drug and you are a hippie addict if you use it. Some of their views are very antiquated and just wrong. They are very set many times in their way of thinking.

In all fairness, the EPA guidelines and enforcement are light years beyond what they were when most of us learned to drive, and work on our own cars. Not to mention HOA asshole neighbors.

edteach 07-12-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Redoilokie (Post 17506022)
In all fairness, the EPA guidelines and enforcement are light years beyond what they were when most of us learned to drive, and work on our own cars. Not to mention HOA asshole neighbors.

I live in a strict HOA and change my own oil, and just did the rear breaks on my Tacoma. Drums. There was swerving with the springs. I get you are not going to use a cherry picker and pull an eng.

Redoilokie 07-12-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by edteach (Post 17506050)
I live in a strict HOA and change my own oil, and just did the rear breaks on my Tacoma. Drums. There was swerving with the springs. I get you are not going to use a cherry picker and pull an eng.

Did you pull it over the ditch and just let it drain?

edteach 07-12-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Redoilokie (Post 17506060)
Did you pull it over the ditch and just let it drain?

Well we never did that. We used to live on a dirt road and my dad told me to save it and spread it on the dirt to keep the dust down. Now I just put it in the jug the new oil comes in, black plastic and in the garbage bin. I did know a guy in one HOA who did that. The neighbor called the local Environmental board and he had to dig up the contaminated oil and replace it. I have split some though. I can see a day when its not legal to change your own oil .

GBHH 07-12-2018 10:09 AM

That old motor oil sure does a job on termites and other unwanted insects. When I was a kid my buddy's brother was a very competent wrench working on autos in the back yard. He would dump the oil on one particular tree in the yard. The tree was a rare Chinese apple tree and it flourished, never a pest problem. The workers at the Chinese restaurant around the corner knew of the tree and would come asking for apples every year. It was the early 70's, there was no collection program. Are today's big-business poisons safer?

Dwebber18 07-12-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy (Post 17366616)
I’m a young guy 32 I’ve bought 3 bikes in the last 6 years but they’ve all been new from a dealership. I don’t trust private sales and why would I buy a used bike with a bunch of mods I don’t want at 90% of the price of a brand new bike ? Hell when I was first looking for a fatboy lo all I could find on the used market was very ugly bikes covered in chrome and most people were actually asking for the same or more than what a new bike would cost. Not to mention now that the use bike market is flooded with people who impulse bought a harley got 500-1000 miles on it and then changed their mind

This is also why I buy new, or new left overs. I don't trust someone's project or their garage bike that they didn't even get broken in before they parked it for multiple years.