Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   New Generations not buying bikes. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1233914-new-generations-not-buying-bikes.html)

edteach 05-17-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaharley (Post 17366581)
yes true. When ridden hard they wallow in turns. Im also comparing its handling to all the bikes ive previosly owned or ridden often. Compared to pretty much anything with 2 wheels it sucks. You understand most young guys come from sportbikes and are used to a certain level of handling. The call them sloptails for a reason. I had a friend try to trade me his bad boy springer for my dyna, it handled so bad i couldnt even think of trading for it. Every turn over 75mph was a grindfest. Young people want bikes that are sporty, dont blame us for not wanting grandpas softail...

Sorry I don't agree. I like my Dyna and don't plan on trading it. But the ST was a good ride. No issues. Very smooth. Less vibration. As far as sport bikes I hate them and think they are crap. Anyone who wants one good for them but for me I would rather ride a peddle bike. 9 out of 10 shit riders are on sport bikes thinking they are in mission impossible. Much more likely to die on a bike.

Yamaharley 05-17-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by edteach (Post 17366597)
Sorry I don't agree. I like my Dyna and don't plan on trading it. But the ST was a good ride. No issues. Very smooth. Less vibration. As far as sport bikes I hate them and think they are crap. Anyone who wants one good for them but for me I would rather ride a peddle bike. 9 out of 10 shit riders are on sport bikes thinking they are in mission impossible. Much more likely to die on a bike.

actually most shit riders i see are on softails... dragging feet on the road until 4th gear... slowing to 35 under the speed limit to go around a turn almost getting hit from behind. Decades ago harley riders were the best but now things have changed. Too many midlife crises on harleys today. And a smooth riding bike doesnt mean it handles good. I agree they are good rides but good handling, nope.

StoneyFatBoy 05-17-2018 09:53 AM

I’m a young guy 32 I’ve bought 3 bikes in the last 6 years but they’ve all been new from a dealership. I don’t trust private sales and why would I buy a used bike with a bunch of mods I don’t want at 90% of the price of a brand new bike ? Hell when I was first looking for a fatboy lo all I could find on the used market was very ugly bikes covered in chrome and most people were actually asking for the same or more than what a new bike would cost. Not to mention now that the use bike market is flooded with people who impulse bought a harley got 500-1000 miles on it and then changed their mind

edteach 05-17-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaharley (Post 17366613)
actually most shit riders i see are on softails... dragging feet on the road until 4th gear... slowing to 35 under the speed limit to go around a turn almost getting hit from behind. Decades ago harley riders were the best but now things have changed. Too many midlife crises on harleys today. And a smooth riding bike doesnt mean it handles good. I agree they are good rides but good handling, nope.

I don't agree with anything you said.

TeaRunner 05-17-2018 09:58 AM

For my riding preferences and style, I'd rather be on a sportbike. For my age, I really don't want to be seeing a chiropractor after every ride.

Shopping for a new bike now. Coming from a FB Lo, I'm not all that certain I want to go with a HD again. The old argument was resale value is crap for anything but an HD. Well, used HD's aren't really flying off the lots either. If I'm going to be stuck with it I may as well be stuck with something that has power, rides smooth, can turn a corner, and has all the bells and whistles.

Redoilokie 05-17-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by edteach (Post 17366620)
I don't agree with anything you said.

Like him or not, and many don't, he's right about this. And shit riders aren't limited to Softails.

Tom84FXST 05-17-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaharley (Post 17366581)
The call them sloptails for a reason. ..

Originally Posted by edteach (Post 17366597)
Sorry I don't agree.the ST was a good ride. No issues. Very smooth. Less vibration.

Are you even arguing about the same bike? You do realize the new softail is a completely different animal than the one introduced in 84.

Kingface 05-17-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaharley (Post 17366613)

"decades ago"??? Didn't you say you were 28? Any other awesome knowledge you can pass on with your decades upon decades of HD know-how??

Walter White 05-17-2018 10:16 AM

I wouldn't buy a Harley Davidson when I was in my 20s or 30s either. I liked sport bikes then. Now I like cruisers. HDs fit my riding style. Now if their quality goes down hill plus their resale value, I have no problem going to another brand. The 3 I have owned have been very good.

The Vrod was my transition bike.

saltlick 05-17-2018 10:23 AM

I see alot of harleys around here in oregon but they are almost all baggers with thier brand new harley T shirts on, regulation harley jacket and perfectly shined up harley half helmets.

its rare that i see another FXSTC, springer ect when i do we both give each other the wave big time.

Im old now (50) and couldnt afford a harley in my 20s or i would have had one. I think thats the main reason why you dont see kids riding them. Thats the reason why i feel harley failed bigtime with thier new lineup, they should have catered to the old people. Marketing fail