General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY short girl wanting a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 PM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 173 Likes on 105 Posts

From what I see the seat height is under 24" on a Slim and on my 2013 Fatboy Lo around 24.3"
I did not do it for seat height but I added a Le Pera Bare Bones Seat and it feels lower. Therefore a seat that is not as wide or padded as much will lower
you. That's without getting in to the suspension or shocks.
If you like Harley's go to the Dealer and ask to sit on a Slim. Then ask him to check with Service and Parts to see what they recommend to lower it even more..
Go wearing a pair of boots with a heel that is a couple inches high that feels very comfortable. If you don't have any ask the sales rep to get you a pair to try while
you sit on the bike.
You might be surprised. Good Luck.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Okay, 9 pages...I didn't read every response but someone here said it: your inseam is the key. The width of the bike is going to be an issue as well. My wife is 4'10" with about a 25" inseam and she can't ride anything, everything is too wide. The seat hight doesn't matter if you can't get your legs around the bike and to the ground.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 PM
tinyrider
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
Okay, 9 pages...I didn't read every response but someone here said it: your inseam is the key. The width of the bike is going to be an issue as well. My wife is 4'10" with about a 25" inseam and she can't ride anything, everything is too wide. The seat hight doesn't matter if you can't get your legs around the bike and to the ground.

I measured it and I have a 26” inseam and already own boots with a little over 1” on the toe and almost 2” on the heel.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by tinyrider
Originally Posted by vistavette Okay, 9 pages...I didn't read every response but someone here said it: your inseam is the key. The width of the bike is going to be an issue as well. My wife is 4'10" with about a 25" inseam and she can't ride anything, everything is too wide. The seat hight doesn't matter if you can't get your legs around the bike and to the ground.

I measured it and I have a 26” inseam and already own boots with a little over 1” on the toe and almost 2” on the heel.
So...you're a long-legged shorty?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-23-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by tinyrider

I think vistavette was referring to 'seat' width in post #82 because that is definitely a factor. Luckily different seats are available.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I think vistavette was referring to 'seat' width in post #82 because that is definitely a factor. Luckily different seats are available.
Seat and frame width. For example: the 2008 Ultra Classic and the 2009 Ultra Classic show the same seat height but the '09 is significantly wider. I could flat foot an '08 but not an '09.

OP is going to have to sit on bikes and see if her leg touches anything. If the overall bike is too wide riding it might be difficult and possibly dangerous as she might burn herself. If it's just the seat of course that can typically be remedied.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I just talked to the wife. She has a 27" inseam and wears boots with a 2" heel and 1" sole. If she can flat foot her bike after the mods I did, you should be able find a bike to fit you. Before I put the Progressive 944's on her bike she was on the ***** of her feet. Still able to ride, but backing the bike out of spots was harder. With the added travel over the stock shocks, I was able to increase the sag (how much the shock compresses when sitting on the bike).

Go look at different bikes, but I still say you will need a bike with mids.

Last edited by RedNose44; 05-23-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 PM
tinyrider
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Um not sure if anyone said this already but you can put one foot down instead of 2. I usually have my left foot down and my right foot on the brake while my right hand is on the brake also. I would recommend a softail slim since it has floorboards. Scoot your butt to the left. You will get use to it and once you get a feel for the bike and know the center of gravity, you can easily mangle it. Consider the new honda rebel as a starter bike or if you want an HD go get it.

Yeah I've definitely thought about that and of course seen it done. I guess I just figure I should build up some strength. I know they're pretty heavy and I'll have to push off and regain balance before taking off again; like I said, I'm a total rookie and think I should maybe get some experience before investing in a more expensive bike like a Harley (as much as I want to just jump the gun right now!).
Originally Posted by RHPAW

If you want to be an *******, at least be an accurate *******

Originally Posted by moparnut72
My wife is 5'2" with a 28" inseam. That is to the floor with tennis shoes on. She is not a rider but I had her sit on my slim. She looked good on it, meaning that it fit her quite well. She had no trouble reaching the brake pedal and had leg to spare. Like others here I would get some miles on something smaller and build up experience and confidence. Among the Sportys and the Softails the Slim is the lowest of the bunch. I found that my Deuce and my Slim were both easier to ride than the Sporty I had. The Sporty is more top heavy. I see women on Slims quite often, most likely because they are generally shorter than men and the Slims fit them better. So I guess the Slims are the real Girls Bike. lol
kk

That's really good to know, with my inseam length and boots. Also something to tell my ex-husband, since that was his first bike! lmao

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
If you want a Harley, get a Harley. They're not cheap, they're not light, but they are properly rewarding. But whether or not you should get a Harley now or after another bike is a different question.

Test ride a few used bikes at dealers, Harleys and others. A lot of things can only really be answered for you by riding, the internet is full of "what ifs" and "dos and don'ts" that get compounded when you read through everything into something that's not quite the truth and can make for things blown out of proportion in your head. You'll know from sitting on it if you can handle the size and weight when it's stopped. You'll know if you can comfortably control the bike when riding from a test ride. If something is too far of a reach remember seats, handle bars, controls, pegs, levers, brakes, ect. can all be changed, even custom made. A used 883 might be a really good choice.

And for the record, if I saw a girl under 5' hop of a Harley it might just very well be the most badass thing I've ever seen.

^That's the idea.

But, yeah, I think I'll probably start out getting some miles on maybe a Yammy 650 or 950 and then go for the Harley, probably have to get new handlebars and move the pegs and floorboards, but I've always had to pay extra for being my height. Nothing new.

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
There are a lot of threads and discussions about mods that can be made for our shorter gals. If you sift through what we have in the Queens forum you'll see. Kristin (Slim Powers) in our Queens forum lives in San Diego and I think she is either 5' or just above. She rides a Road Glide that has been slammed.

You can also consider a custom made frame if it is within your budget. Martin Klebba a famous actor from Pirates of the Carribean is 4'0" and rides a custom chopper. I've seen his bike at Butch's in Simi Valley and even took a photo of it with my helmet next to the tire. I don't know how much it cost to build but it was certainly badass.

By the way, Christine Vaughan of Wicked Women Chopper makes some amazing bikes and she totally gets what a woman needs for a wicked ride. Check her out.

I did spend a couple hours going through the Queen forum looking for shorter rider/new rider threads and found a lot of helpful tips and have been trying to find info on custom frames in San Diego. I just think I would need a whole bike built from the ground up! And while my ex would know how to do it, I certainly don't. I could definitely afford it over time, though. I'll check out Christine Vaughan too. Thanks!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-24-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

950? About 1/3rd of that would be a better start.

You'll learn faster/quicker with a smaller motorcycle. Truth!

Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 AM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

What the other guys stated, 883 Iron low model not the 883 Iron . I have a 2016 883 Iron and it is not low . A 560 lb bike with the highest center of gravity . I'am 5'8 and I can tell you it is a pig ! Not a bike for a new rider . My picks would be the Softail Slim or the Sporster 883 Low model . If you really want a Harley .

Quick Reply: REALLY short girl wanting a Harley