General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe it's just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by crabio
I've been meaning to post this for a while now and then it happened again yesterday and told myself now's the time.

I ride back and forth to work most days and the route I take is almost all little 2 lane country roads. Now that the weather has turned around here, there are many more bikes out.

My habit is always when I'm riding to stay in the left part of my lane. Learned that from somewhere many years ago and it's just automatic for me.

When I approach another bike from behind, if he's riding in the left part of the lane, I automatically move over and ride in the right part of the lane. Staggered so that he/she can see me.

But I can't tell you how many people approach me from behind and the proceed to follow me in the left part of the lane. I let it go for about 15 seconds and then I move to the right side of the lane so we are staggered. That just feel really weird to me. Lead bike to the right and bike behind me to the left. I've even had a few times where the bike behind me moves to the right as well and would basically follow me no matter where I was in the lane.

Anytime anyone does this I always chalk it up to them being a new rider, but I'm wondering if there is some new technique out there that is being taught and I'm the old fart who is out of touch. I was taught many many years ago that the reason you stagger is so the bike in front of you has a clear view of you in one of his rear views either left or right and if the bike in front has to quick stop, the bike behind is not plowing into the front bike.

I'm willing to learn so if I'm doing it wrong someone please school me.
crabio, you have nothing to learn.
A motorcyclist should always ride in the left portion of a lane.
This does 2 things.

1. It gives the rider the most visibility of traffic ahead (and also being seen), and

2. It allows a larger "cushion" as you're passing parked cars (either parallel or diagonal.)

Never "side-by-side" (except at a redlight, fully stopped), as that leaves no chance for an evasive maneuver.

This we teach in "Formation 101" at the local HD dealership. Wish it was available industry wide. There are many other tenants also.

I wish we could teach this in the BRC in the classroom, at least. (Gotta stick to a curriculum. (In my very first class, it was motorcycle drag racing launching, believe it or not!))

Stagger 2 seconds following distance behind the bike in front of you, 1 second following to the bike that's diagonal to you. It makes for a safer ride.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,765 Likes on 6,202 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I'm with FNGonaRK. I assume most people are complete morons. Gave up trying to figure why they do what they do. Occasionally I'm shocked when I run into someone that doesn't have their head burried up their ***.
Agreed. Once I even had a Gold Wing pass me on the right (in my own lane) on a residential street in front of a school (20 mph) zone.
Scared the hell out of me because the GW was so quiet and you don't expect a retard move like that under those circumstances.
I wanted to stab him

Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Agreed. Once I even had a Gold Wing pass me on the right (in my own lane) on a residential street in front of a school (20 mph) zone.
Scared the hell out of me because the GW was so quiet and you don't expect a retard move like that under those circumstances.
I wanted to stab him
Be careful stifling your desires like that. That could lead to all sorts of long term health issues. Just do it!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by crabio
I automatically move over and ride in the right part of the lane. Staggered so that he/she can see me.
The typical road lane has 3 lanes for motorcycles: left, middle, and right. There is no need or obligation on yours, or anyone's part to ride in any one of them. I prefer to ride in the middle most of the time, but I routinely swing from one side to the other depending on road conditions and particularly in the twisties. You are entitled to use the whole lane, just like any other motorized vehicle on the road.

Riding staggered is a technique to make more efficient use of space, not to make it easier to be seen. Riding staggered makes it possible to get more bikes in the same space while not giving up braking distance. In groups, it is a way to keep everyone together, but in my opinion is not very safe and for novice riders, it can be very difficult to maintain the formation. Experienced riders can even get away with riding side-by-side, but is illegal in some states and for good reason: it limits the rider's ability to make emergency maneuvers. I automatically swing to the opposite side of the lane of a slower rider in front of me to avoid "tailgating", giving me ample room to brake, while also giving myself a chance to safely pass when the opportunity comes.

But I can't tell you how many people approach me from behind and the proceed to follow me in the left part of the lane. I let it go for about 15 seconds and then I move to the right side of the lane so we are staggered. That just feel really weird to me. Lead bike to the right and bike behind me to the left. I've even had a few times where the bike behind me moves to the right as well and would basically follow me no matter where I was in the lane.
You are under no obligation to move to the right. It would be courteous however. If a faster bike comes up from behind you, especially in the twisties, it is just polite to give them room to pass you on the left, safely, without having to leave the lane. On the freeway, while in the car pool lane, I routinely ride the left lane to stay far away from the cagers. When a faster rider comes up from behind, I will wave them to pass me on the right, which also the polite thing to do. Moving over to the right is implied permission to pass on their left in the same lane, a wave is still appreciate though to remove all uncertainty.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

I guess it's about a one second following the diagonal in front of me but I like to see the riders face in his mirror. That way I know he can see me.

Last edited by elPrez; 05-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Never "side-by-side" (except at a redlight, fully stopped), as that leaves no chance for an evasive maneuver.
Exception for motors, they will always ride side by side in the #1 lane.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I pretty much follow the Op train of thought. The Only Exception would be is if I'm in a heavily congested City. Then if I'm following a bike that appears to be a local I will follow in there tire tracks. They tend to know where the potholes and the bumps and where to avoid are

Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

Originally Posted by gi_king_ken
I pretty much follow the Op train of thought. The Only Exception would be is if I'm in a heavily congested City. Then if I'm following a bike that appears to be a local I will follow in there tire tracks. They tend to know where the potholes and the bumps and where to avoid are
I would agree, potholes would normally be found in the wheel tracks but riding in the center "oil track" presents other hazards.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

yeah you are weird. I wouldn't over think it.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

A more experienced rider than I am once told me that he stays in the right tire track on two lane roads. His reason being is that a vehicle coming towards you might have another vehicle close behind them wanting to pass. If the vehicle behind tries to pass the vehicle in front, you're likely to be seen sooner by the passing vehicle if you're in the right tire track. I had never thought of that since I almost always ride in the left tire track. I thought it made a lot of sense.

As far as a rider directly behind me in the same tire track, I always switch to the opposite tire track.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 05-23-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Maybe it's just me?