General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe it's just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,005 Likes on 485 Posts

I always ride right when I'm on a SoCal on a two-lane, undivided highway. You wouldn't believe how many head-ons we get when folks run wide on the corners or simply drift over the double-yellow.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I usually ride in the left wheel track as there are more potholes and pavement breaks on the right side.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:59 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I pretty much always prefer being on the left. Though as Mark pointed out you have to watch for people curving wide when you're riding blind corners. I've had to correct mid curve more than once from people going wide.

When I come across another rider and I'm behind him I usually give him more room than I would a car, gives me more time to react to what he reacted to, keeps me from 'chasing' him as well and getting in over my head. Plus when it's the other way around I prefer enough room to know I can use all of the lane, not worry about getting rear ended if I need to swerve and brake.

With that being said, I ride around the greater Seattle area too. Though if I'm honest I find it rare to find myself behind another bike anywhere without a lot of traffic lights. With the way some drivers are I will go back to being in the left side, or where ever I deem a safer spot, but always with a lot of room in between. Sometimes I move to be more seen from people pulling out, sometimes I move because that Prius is just itching to take my lane. I always like to have enough room to gun it to get out the way if need be.

About the only time I take the right is when I have a fast rider behind me and I don't want to be conscience of his impatiences. Then you usually just throw your blinker on and wave them past as you move over somewhere safe for him to pass. If he's following on your left and acting like he's in a hurry it seems to be the easiest way. Otherwise sometimes they want to pass on the right and almost always spooks me and then royally irks me.

Some of it too is rider inexperience. If you get to a stop light sometimes you can just use that to let them go first and take the lead, or find a way to point it out. Another thought that comes to mind is if I am last, I want to be on the left. Reason being is it's in front of where a driver in a car is. If I'm on the right side I'm not right in front of him and he may not be paying that close of attention.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 05-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I ride the same as you. Hold the left, move right if approaching another rider close enough to be considered a formation. I've given up trying to figure out why others do what they do. I generally consider most people idiots and then I can smile when I see someone with a light on.
this. 100%.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 655 Posts

I dont get close enough to anyone to be considered a formation. Im in pa and we have a serious pothole problem and no straight roads. I avoid potholes and stay to the inside of the curve so i use the whole lane. I hate when someone else tries to ride with me.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
But staying left encourages a pass in the right wheel track, highly dangerous, unexpected and discourteous.
Yes, some states prohibit two vehicles to travel next to each other in the same lane but moving right allows a rider to pass you without having to move into the oncoming lane, a big safety advantage IMO.
Why on God's green earth would you think a motorcycle in the left side of his traffic lane could not be passed like any other vehicle in a normal traffic situation that requires the passing vehicle to enter the opposing lane to pass when appropriate.
Why do you think a motorcycle as a vehicle in traffic is different than a car?

If some idiot is coming up behind you and want's to pass,,, he can freaking pass,, just like the law allows.

Ok here it is,, someone comes up behind me,, I don't care,, I take care of me. I ride how it's best and safest for me, I would expect the rider behind me to understand that I am going to take care of me, I'm not going to change my lane position just because another "bike" is behind me,, unless I see this other operator (that's behind me) somehow indicates his intention.
If that guy's intention is to pass me,, I am not going to give him my lane or side of the road to do so.
That would be called "leap-frogging" and it's against the law here in Minn.

The rules change If I'm with a group of my friends,, but some random bike behind me??

I should add a p.s. here. If some random biker comes up behind me,, and I obey all traffic laws,, and he decides he's going to pass me on the right side of my lane while I'm in the left side of my lane,(?) He had better hope I need gas soon,, because If I have a full tank,, he's going to find out my opinion of what he just did.

Last edited by JohnMn; 05-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
A more experienced rider than I am once told me that he stays in the right tire track on two lane roads. His reason being is that a vehicle coming towards you might have another vehicle close behind them wanting to pass. If the vehicle behind tries to pass the vehicle in front, you're likely to be seen sooner by the passing vehicle if you're in the right tire track. I had never thought of that since I almost always ride in the left tire track. I thought it made a lot of sense.

As far as a rider directly behind me in the same tire track, I always switch to the opposite tire track.

exactly why I ride the right side of the track.......gives me an out, grass versus pavement.....and the asswipes that text and weave over the double yellow lines....and I have seen first hand a bike being clipped by oncoming car....not happening to me....also i had oncaming car in my lane overtaking a tractor trailer .... i had to stop and calm my nerves...i ended up riding the shoulder....thank God there was one.

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (05-27-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I have seen first hand a bike being clipped by oncoming car....not happening to me.
I have seen two bikes clip each other.
Both on the center line, oncoming, Apes with passengers.
The left side handle bars,, touched. At highway speed.
Being in the left side of the lane is not the same as riding the center line.
Any truly experienced rider knows what I mean about riding the center line and how easy it is,, until you learn.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

I don't encounter many bikes going my direction, but there was this morning...

Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
crabio, you have nothing to learn.
A motorcyclist should always ride in the left portion of a lane.
This does 2 things.

1. It gives the rider the most visibility of traffic ahead (and also being seen), and
"Always" is a word that should be used sparingly. I just returned from a 300 plus mile day on 2 lane roads with two friends. I was the lead rider in a staggered group of three riding in the left third of the lane. On two lane roads when a tall vehicle is approaching, (like a tractor trailer or dump truck going the opposite direction), I will move into the right third of the lane to scout for vehicles tailgating the taller vehicle. "Always" remaining in the left third of the lane, especially when the opposite lane has a dotted yellow line, is begging to be hit head on by a tailgating passer who you never saw nor did they see you.

My life, my rules.

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
giacomo56 (05-26-2018), Torky_SOB (05-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Maybe it's just me?