General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I tried lane splitting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
nvbirdman
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

A guy like the one in the video gives us all a bad name, and did anybody notice he blew through a red light when entering the freeway?

Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I split all the time here in CA. The law is as follows which most people don’t know: maximum speed lane splitting is 50mph.MAX. Depending on speed of traffic only allowed to split at 15mph faster than traffic moving. So if they are going 50 you can’t split but if they are going 20 you can split at 35. If they are going 45 you can go 50 if you split. Nobody follows that law and people go fAsT AF but I keep it slow cuz it’s sketchy as hell

Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

That dude in the video...only a matter of time before he's a bug on someone's windshield, if he isn't already. No splitting allowed out here in the east. The only time it even enters my mind is in the heat of summer, sitting in a traffic jam while my 103 starts getting real hot.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
The issue with lane splitting for me is that it takes a crazy amount of concentration, which over long periods of riding is very fatiguing. Not that I won't do it, but when needed for long periods of time, it can really wipe you out. And of course your nice relaxing ride is now ruined. I pretty much gave up commuting on the bike because of this, I would rather just sit in the car with the tunes on then be on high alert for that long.
X2..

I don't commute as a rule. Only once in a blue moon commutes on say a Friday. I don't as a rule do it daily pretty much for the above reasons which ='s a delete on the fun factor. All it takes is one person on
a last minute lane swing-change to wreck ya.. While they'll give you a "So sorry I didn't see ya" and may have your bike fixed, that still leaves your trashed body (hopefully not on a table) with issues.. The
gain to me isn't worth the possible end-result that being a part of a commute (time) crash. I'm guessing the odds are, if ya do lane cutting long enough, sooner or later you'll experience an incident. May then get
a get nick-name "Skippy, Bank-shot, Ricochet Etc. I ride & cage so I've seen & do see both sides of this. In Cali splitting okay at any speed. I think it should be okay at or under say a 35 mph traffic differential
in speed. Just toss'n in another .02 worth..

Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan42
I split all the time here in CA. The law is as follows which most people don’t know: maximum speed lane splitting is 50mph.MAX. Depending on speed of traffic only allowed to split at 15mph faster than traffic moving. So if they are going 50 you can’t split but if they are going 20 you can split at 35. If they are going 45 you can go 50 if you split. Nobody follows that law and people go fAsT AF but I keep it slow cuz it’s sketchy as hell
Actually there is no "Law" regarding lane splitting. The CHP had those as recommended guidelines on their website a few years ago but have since taken it down. The way the law works is basically, anything that is not illegal, is legal. Lane splitting is not illegal in California therefore it is legal. LEO's have the option of writing a ticket if in their opinion the rider is splitting in a reckless manner. It doesn't really matter what the speeds of the traffic or the rider is.

As one who splits traffic regularly, as I posted above, I would like to see more tickets written to those who practice this in a reckless manner. I do think it gives bikers in general a bad name when done recklessly. However I see on a regular basis, more cagers doing their best to accommodate those of us who practice the method in a safe manner, using the guidelines mentioned above.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:50 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Couple of tips from a European rider. Here we lane split all the time.

First of all, if you don't do it, you are losing one of the main advantages of riding a motorcycle - the ability to get through smaller gaps and make progress.

So....you can't normally actually see the cage driver's eyes well enough - so while trying to look at their eyes in their mirror, ALSO look at the tyres of their vehicles. If they are planning a move then they will normally turn the wheel a little in advance.

Look for gaps in adjacent lanes. Gaps are your enemy as people will always try to cross lanes to fill gaps and get ahead a little.

If traffic is moving over 30 mph, don't lane split. If you are moving, there is no need. Take it easy. After all, it's only in really slow moving or stopped traffic that it gives you any real benefit.

Only do about 10-15 mph more than the flow of traffic. You need the reaction time.

As you pass cagers, give a little "thanks" wave to the ones that move over for you. It costs nothing to be polite.

There will always be an ******* that tries to pull over and block you. Don't sweat that. Just be patient. He'll always be an ******* and you will be a motorcycle rider. You win!

Don't lane split if there is a junction up ahead. You just know someone is going to pull out.

Don't lane split if you can't see the mirror of the vehicle you are passing. At least give them a chance to see you.

Follow these tips amongst others and it becomes second nature. Keep it safe, keep it calm. Don't **** people off and all will be good!

Oh - and it's called "filtering" not lane splitting ;-)

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Watching this makes my toe nails ache.
Yeah. That guy is probably just a statistic now.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by adm:
sailmotion (05-24-2018), Sarah93003 (05-23-2018), Tony P (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

You'll never convince me it's not crazy dangerous, and I won't do it even if it was legal. I especially appreciated the comment " I was really putting my trust in everyone I passed (hoping that they saw me, and that they would not suddenly change lanes in front of me). That was a bit unsettling for me." Considering the some of the human garbage driving around (ESPECIALLY in CA and in NJ), that should be a real concern. I don't want to get that close to a car if I'm moving on a bike.

My $0.02, YMMV, and good luck to you.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Watching this makes my toe nails ache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtjexSg0SM
That is how you die. Lane splitting is not legal here in NY, but on a hot day when my 20k bike is starting to bake itself to death I will lane split. Most cops understand, especially if you're riding a Harley and you are being safe about it. The real scary thing is the jackasses that will throw their door open to stop you.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:39 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Just try lane splitting in Dallas or Huston or any big town in Texas and you will get covered in tobacco juice cause just about every pickup will have a snuff dipper in it and every other car will too. LOL

Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Drum
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
My first time was on a Harley tour through St. Maarten Island, had many butthole puckering moments. Our guide said that if you dont, they will ticket you for congesting traffic.
lol......around 15 yrs ago we had to wait for the cows or the goats to move off the road. Fun place though.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I tried lane splitting...