General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB charging

Old 05-28-2018, 11:27 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

A USB port only delivers 5 volts. There is no way the problem is with your bike. I also doubt it is the USB port, regardless of how cheap it is. In my experience, the problem is usually with the cord going to the phone, or the connector in the phone. Trying a new cord is painless, but repairing a connector will be expensive. Good luck.

P.S.
I have a 12v plug installed in my Tourpak, which I love. Another option is to get one of those portable power things. Even the small ones can recharge your phone 3 or 4 times. I have one that can even jump start my bike. Love it.

Last edited by keith_stepp; 05-28-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Have you used any of the USB lightning cables that you suspect have gone bad in another power source like a computer, a wall outlet charger or a portable power pack? If one of those power sources works, your problem is with the power source on your bike and not the lightning cable.

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 05-29-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser

Yes, the cheap **** does work. You’re wrong.
Sometimes. And I've had at a couple of aftermarket cables catch fire, or short out and melt while plugged into my phone. Fortunately I was right there and saw it happen. Not worth it to me to risk a house or car fire to save a few bucks. YMMV.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 05-29-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Sometimes. And I've had at a couple of aftermarket cables catch fire, or short out and melt while plugged into my phone. Fortunately I was right there and saw it happen. Not worth it to me to risk a house or car fire to save a few bucks. YMMV.
I agree that using the wrong cable can cause problems, but he said that they won’t work “after a few charges”. That is false, most will work just fine.

I’ve had one third-party cable in eight years that failed to work properly, and even then it would still charge, but extremely slow.

I wonder how long he’s been selling Apple products.

Kinda reminds me of “use our oil or it will void your warranty”.

Last edited by Wowser; 05-29-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:16 AM
tampajason
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it’s just been working for a few days with no problems. I think that I might have had something like lint in the phone and it blocked the cord. Aftermarket cords work fine. I’m plugged into a battery tender using the battery charger on the bike. No problems anymore. Lesson: don’t get one of those adaptors that connect directly to the battery.
It quit working again. I left it be for a few months. Today I finally figured it out. Noticed moisture caused corrosion on the terminal. Used a steel brush and cleaned it up. Damn thing started charging. So simple. I’m an idiot.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-30-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

So, it really didn't have anything at all to do with being connected directly to the battery? LOL!

Glad that you got it worked out.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser

Not true.
Kind of true though.....pretty much all third party cables crap out eventually, but the real Apple ones do seem to last much longer. It's a shame they are 10x the price though.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by tampajason
I have a lot of aftermarket cords, not cheap ones from the gas station, but nice heavy duty ones that I've had for a long time.
Make sure you get one that is MFI certified. If it doesn't specifically say that, look for the graphic that says Made For (then has a picture of iPod, iPhone, iPad).

Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

I once ran a long USB cord from my battery to the phone and had charging problems. USB cables aren't that durable and vary greatly in quality and power delivery.

I run a thick Battery Tender extension cable from my handlebars right to the battery. I have a Battery Tender USB adapter right on the bars and use a short quality high volt USB cable to my phone.

I piggy back this under the tank and follow my throttle cables. Very clean.

When I want to use a battery charger I just pull off the USB adapter.

The Battery Tender USB adapter does have a very small draw strangely enough but has not caused a problem. I do ride frequently year round so the battery doesn't even get tenderized.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
The Mophie that I mentioned isn't an extra device to charge. It's a phone case. When you get home or to your hotel or whatever, you plug it in and both the phone and the case get charged at the same time. You can go two and a half times as long without needing a charge.

Getting back usb chargers, they come in two available outputs. The most common one puts out a little over one volt. Some put out a little over two volts. The two volt ones will charge faster. Usually this information is written very small on the package and even smaller on the device.

The failures you are experiencing I suspect are caused from using cheap cables, cheap chargers, chargers meant for indoor use instead of ones made for a motorcycle, or some combination thereof.

Have a look at these

https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...cle-electrical
I think you mean amps, they are 5volt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USB charging