General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB charging

Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 PM
tampajason
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB charging

So I've searched. I've read the topics. I have an issue.

I've tried two different ways to keep a USB cable on my bike for charging my phone on it's mount while I ride. I've had a USB charger with lines that tie directly onto the battery. I tried this first. It worked for a bit. The phone didn't charge quickly, but it charged. Then, the cable just stopped working. Thinking it was a fluke or a cheap cable I bought, I replaced it. The phone started to charge again. Then a few days later, no more charging. I did some testing with other devices around the house and discovered that my charging cord wasn't working. Now that cord I trusted. I had it for years and used it on everything. So I figured ... "Jason, it's gotta be that charger. Perhaps going directly to battery is frying these cables out." As such, I removed the charger from the bike.

I then got a battery USB "tender" which goes into the charging line on the motorcycle. I ran USB cable to it, under my seat and dash, and to my handlebars. Perfect. Phone charged. Now ...after a few days, same issue. Phone not charging. I'm going to bet that this cable is no longer working either. So, any ideas why I keep frying cables out? Anyone have a SUCCESSFUL phone charger installed on their bike?

Thanks in advance,
-TJ

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

I did a Kuryakyn lighter mount on the handlebar and just put a standard USB car charger in it when I needed it. Never had an issue and worked with my compressor too.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,135 Likes on 6,209 Posts

What kind of phone is it? If iPhone is it lightning connector or the older wide 30 pin connector?

You can save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a Mophie battery case for your phone.

Mine gives me 150% more battery life.

Last edited by Prot; 05-27-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 PM
tampajason
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Prot
What kind of phone is it? If iPhone is it lightning connector or the older wide 30 pin connector?

You can save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a Mophie battery case for your phone.

Mine gives me 150% more battery life.
I phone 7+ so I'm going to assume the wide 30 pin connector. And I really don't want to have another accessory to charge when I can just plug into my bike like in my Jeep.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by tampajason
I phone 7+ so I'm going to assume the wide 30 pin connector. And I really don't want to have another accessory to charge when I can just plug into my bike like in my Jeep.
7+ is lightning connector

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by tampajason
The 7 uses Lightning cable. I use a battery tender USB converter and an Apple cord. No issues over seasons of riding.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You must use an apple cord...all third party cheap cords don't work after a few charges...the phone recognizes that it is NOT an apple cable....believe me I know......
i jave been charging my iPhone 7 with a cigarette adapter on my fairing, never an issue...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (05-29-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 11:41 PM
tampajason
4th Gear

I have a lot of aftermarket cords, not cheap ones from the gas station, but nice heavy duty ones that I've had for a long time. They always work until plugging into the bike. Has it anything to do with it being a CAN BUS system?

Maybe the heat from the motor is damaging them. I'll try running a different route and come back after a few days.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 AM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I bought this from Amazon for my Road King, it is mounted to the handlebars and I have it connected to a switched power source for my 8+, it works great.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by 02603SEC; 05-28-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:17 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

If a USB charger is powered directly from the battery then charger is converting power from battery voltage to 5 volts 24 hours a day...even with bike OFF.
Although it is a small amount of power, the unit is working and creating a draw on the battery.
If the unit is not designed for constant 24 hour use then it is possible the unit might be overheating and the exposure to engine heat might be pushing the unit over the edge.
It would be best to have a USB device that provides the amperage required by your phone and that USB device be connected to a power supply that functions ONLY when bike is ON.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USB charging