General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride On Users - Question About Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Never had the issue that you're having in roughly 40k miles of using Ride On. That being said, if there is a solution on the bottle... That's probably the answer, but give them a call to be sure.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

did you have the wheel bearings replaced ? maybe a bad new bearing ? you could have a bad tire that is out of round. wheel bearings installed incorrectly ?

Last edited by hardheaded; 05-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
What is the benefit of "Ride On"? What's wrong with good ol' fashioned wheel weights?
Not performance related, but another benefit is you don't have ugly weights cluttering up the look of a nice wheel.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:28 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
At least I didn’t post a redundant “what bike should I buy” thread lol.
Thanks for that and I am most curious what is up here. When I first posted I was on my phone at work and wanted to see if maybe you had mentioned what bike you have or maybe it would be in your signature. Since no I will now ask, do you have spoked wheels and if so have you checked the spokes? I can tell you that a couple broken spokes will put a world of hurt on you and something like you are describing is very much like what I have experienced before.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,137 Likes on 5,590 Posts

If your wheel bearings are ok then check your steering head adjustment.

Edit- motor mounts in good shape?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM
Mikew90
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just Installed a new front tire recently with ride on for the first time. I also noticed for about 3 miles a weird tire vibration but then left and hasn't been back.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:37 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mikew90
I just Installed a new front tire recently with ride on for the first time. I also noticed for about 3 miles a weird tire vibration but then left and hasn't been back.
this is normal when first installing Ride-on. i think the stuff is great and will never run metal weights again.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

2016 RGS, 9835k miles, cast aluminum wheels, did not replace wheel bearings as they were fine when checked. Everything went together correctly, no brakes dragging, etc. Checked the head bearing adjustment, it’s in spec, no slop at all. I can set the cruise at 80 and take my hands off the bars and it tracks dead nuts straight.

I spoke to an engineer for Ride On and he gave me a list of things to check. I did notice that my belt adjustment was on the tight end of the adjustment. (I had marked the adjuster cams so that I could easily just line the marks up, the belt does ride true on the pulley and doesn’t walk hard to one side). I’ve read where the pulleys will heat up and expand making the belt tighter and can cause issues. So, I loosened it some and also added another ounce of Ride On to both the wheels (suggested by the engineer). Went for a ride and the vibrations seem to be less apparent.

I had a buddy ride my bike and he said he didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary until he was back in town going 30-35 mph. He said he couldn’t tell if it was the bike itself or just the bike picking up every little mark/divot/anomaly in the road and by that point, he said he was looking for something so that may have skewed his observations.

I’m seriously wondering if it’s the new tires/tread pattern and now my brain F’n with me. I have about 250 miles on the new tires so far.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 05-31-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:49 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

make sure the rubber mounts for the mufflers are good and installed correctly. they cab cause a vibration if bad or loose. check top motor mount for tightness also. you always set your belt adjustment dead overnight cold and when the bike warms from riding it the belt will be much tighter. i always set my belt adjustment at the loose end of the specs overnite cold. good luck and i hope you find out what's going on.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

^ I’ll be sure to check those as well just to be safe. I’m wondering if the loosening of the belt adjustment slightly is the reason why the vibrations weren’t as bad yesterday as the day before. It makes sense that it could have been the cause initially because it rode smooth to start, it was after some miles that you could feel it through the whole bike. Stop for a bit, smooth for a few miles, then back to vibrating as everything heated up again.

This is the first time I’ve replaced a front and rear at the exact same time and the fact that these tires have a harder contact compound than stock tires may also be amplifying something that I just didn’t notice before.

Update: Vibration gone!

After my talk with the engineer at Ride On about the vibration, I went through the bike and checked everything that I was told to like drive belt adjustment, rotors, brake calipers, motor mounts, etc, to no avail. I slowly added more product getting it to the severe amount which didn’t take care of it either.

I rode 650 miles to TN with my hands, arms, and head being vibrated like an orbital sander and upon getting to Pigeon Forge I went straight to Rocky Top HD to have the Ride On taken out of the tire and the wheel balanced like normal to see what happened. I couldn’t take the vibration any longer and wasn’t waiting till I got home. The guys at HD were familiar with Ride On and echoed the sentiments here, guys there use it with no issues, and said my tire is most likely out of round causing a slight hop.

Well, after an hour and $100, the bike rides smooth as can be again. It ended up being that Ride On couldn’t balance my wheel/tire.

The engineer at Ride On said that they have seen this before (although rare) so I’m not knocking the product here, it’s still in my rear tire with no problem. Oh well, I can live with the few weights that are on the rim to not be shaken to insanity any longer.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-13-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Ride On Users - Question About Vibration