General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride On Users - Question About Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts
Default Ride On Users - Question About Vibration

So I just installed two new Dunlop American Elites. When I picked the wheels up and got them home to install them, each had only five 1/4 oz weights on them so they must have been pretty balanced to start with. (Stock tire setup had many more weights front and rear)

I removed the weights, cleaned the wheels good, and put in the suggested “regular” amount of Ride On for my tire sizes. The next day while riding, I noticed that at high speeds (65<) the bike would vibrate but then it seemed to smooth out. This was riding 2-up.

The following day, riding solo, I noticed that the bike rode nice and smooth but after 5-6 miles of sustained speed, the vibration slowly started and it got more apparent as the miles kept accruing. Again, this happened when the speeds were roughly 65 or so. After a stop, smooth as glass, then the vibration started gradually again after 5-6 miles of sustained speed.

I’m assuming this is a balance issue. Ride On does say that by adding another couple of ounces to the tires cures 90% of the vibrations.

I’m curious if anyone else has had this happen and if adding more Ride On to the tire cured it. If not, did anyone find anything else that was causing it? I checked the wheel bearings when the wheels were off and all is well.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 05-30-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:27 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have used the stuff for years and many tire changes. Never had a problem like you are having. Maybe call them?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've also used Ride On for years and never had any vibration issues associated with my tires.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Maybe call them?
Yeah I probably will, just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. The Ride On instructions say to try splitting the amount in the tire between the “regular” dose and the “severe” dose. For my tires, that’s only adding an extra ounce. Doesn’t seem to be much but I’m wondering if that’s all it’ll take since the vibration isn’t 100% all of the time as if the tires are just slightly off balance.

Ride On is certainly easier to add than to remove so I didn’t want to just chance it and put more in and have it not work. Or make it worse...

At least I didn’t post a redundant “what bike should I buy” thread lol.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 05-30-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:08 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,156 Likes on 3,518 Posts

What is the benefit of "Ride On"? What's wrong with good ol' fashioned wheel weights?

Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,207 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
What is the benefit of "Ride On"? What's wrong with good ol' fashioned wheel weights?
It's also a tire sealant that does a good job of sealing punctures. I recently saw a photo of a tire with a, I think, 1/4" bolt in it that was still inflated. Wheel weights won't do that.

The following 2 users liked this post by martinj:
SPRINGER (05-30-2018), strych9 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The inserted material will automatically balance a tire for wear as time goes on.
Wheel weights will not.
Remeber the days of adding sand to a play toy top or gyro?
Same deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kingglide549:
SPRINGER (05-30-2018), strych9 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I recently added Ride On without any problems riding. I removed 3 weights on either side of the rim.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been using it for a few years now and never had any type of problems

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
So I just installed two new Dunlop American Elites. When I picked the wheels up and got them home to install them, each had only five 1/4 oz weights on them so they must have been pretty balanced to start with. (Stock tire setup had many more weights front and rear)

I removed the weights, cleaned the wheels good, and put in the suggested “regular” amount of Ride On for my tire sizes. The next day while riding, I noticed that at high speeds (65<) the bike would vibrate but then it seemed to smooth out. This was riding 2-up.

The following day, riding solo, I noticed that the bike rode nice and smooth but after 5-6 miles of sustained speed, the vibration slowly started and it got more apparent as the miles kept accruing. Again, this happened when the speeds were roughly 65 or so. After a stop, smooth as glass, then the vibration started gradually again after 5-6 miles of sustained speed.

I’m assuming this is a balance issue. Ride On does say that by adding another couple of ounces to the tires cures 90% of the vibrations.

I’m curious if anyone else has had this happen and if adding more Ride On to the tire cured it. If not, did anyone find anything else that was causing it? I checked the wheel bearings when the wheels were off and all is well.
I'm not going to say that it can't happen but I've been using Ride On for years and have never experienced what you have. Maybe following their advice and add a very little at a time, might solve the vibration issues.

As others have said, wheel weights are just a temporary fix but it's been my experience that as the tire wears down the weights sometimes need to be adjusted. With Ride On, it's been my experience that my tires will stay balanced from the first mile to the last mile. Besides and this might just be me, but I like the looks of my rims better without the wheel weights than I did when they were on.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-30-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Ride On Users - Question About Vibration