General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "reissue" models

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:07 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts
Default New "reissue" models

Has this ever been discussed here? This question/idea comes from my guitar playing background. Gibson and Fender guitars both make (not exact) copies of their classic 50s and 60s models.

Would there be a market if Harley were to do the same? For example, make a 2018 - 1936 Knucklehead. It would, of course, not be 100% exact, modern technology required to meet EPA standards, but the rest of the bike would look close enough where someone who isn't a diehard enthusiast would think they are the same bike. The Knucklehead is just one example. HD could do the same with their other iconic models.

Good idea, bad idea? I read an article maybe three years ago where Ford was doing the same with the 64 Mustang but you could only buy it as a kit and assemble it yourself.
​​​​​

Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Harley Davidson blends classic styling with modern technology better than any other manufacturer except maybe Triumph. Why do you think they still use the 45 degree V-Twin engine?
In order to replicate a 1936 Knuckle, they'd have to build a bike with a weaker engine and frame, and they wouldn't sell enough of them to justify the development and manufacturing costs.

Last edited by RK4ME; 06-02-2018 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Walter White (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,830 Likes on 1,443 Posts

There was a link in a thread on HD forums about someone doing two models. I’m sure it’ll come up with an internet search. But do’nt have any liquid in your hand near the computer. The price will rock you. YIKES!
I remember looking and said NOT FOR ME.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:19 PM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Has this ever been discussed here? This question/idea comes from my guitar playing background. Gibson and Fender guitars both make (not exact) copies of their classic 50s and 60s models.

Would there be a market if Harley were to do the same? For example, make a 2018 - 1936 Knucklehead. It would, of course, not be 100% exact, modern technology required to meet EPA standards, but the rest of the bike would look close enough where someone who isn't a diehard enthusiast would think they are the same bike. The Knucklehead is just one example. HD could do the same with their other iconic models.

Good idea, bad idea? I read an article maybe three years ago where Ford was doing the same with the 64 Mustang but you could only buy it as a kit and assemble it yourself.
​​​​​
I know what you mean, I used to own a Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul.

This is one of the things I have said on this forum. Bring back something like the legendary Night Train. Both Ford and Chrysler are selling large numbers of their new versions of the Mustang and Challenger.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 06-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:17 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

That’s a ‘58 Reissue LP in my avatar. I get what you’re saying. Sure would be cool, but of course, ridiculously expensive!

Im waiting for relic’d motorcycles too. Lol

Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Harley Davidson blends classic styling with modern technology better than any other manufacturer except maybe Triumph. Why do you think they still use the 45 degree V-Twin engine?
In order to replicate a 1936 Knuckle, they'd have to build a bike with a weaker engine and frame, and they wouldn't sell enough of them to justify the development and manufacturing costs.
I say HOGWASH. There are enough die hard enthusiasts out there that would go ape **** crazy over such a bike.

Good post OP!!!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Plenty of people buy ball-sack ugly CVOs. I see no reason people wouldn't buy a reissue Harley, especially if ridiculously expensive. Higher prices make them prestige items for the well heeled.

GM

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Great post! I'd buy one too.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:38 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

What makes the older years cool is the history to them. They were a part of that time and went through those years and made those stories. A replica made today is neat if you want to see an old one but can't for some reason, but a replica will never hold what the original did because it has no history and a different soul.

Personally I'd say the market is in taking the style of something old and making something new. For example the Kawasaki Z900RS, the Yamaha SCR950, the Honda CB1100 or the Ducati Scrambler. I don't see Harley really doing this because Harley stayed with the same basic look and feel.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

V-Twin has their bike-in-a-box program which is a knucklehead or a pan depending on which you buy. IIRC

Quick Reply: New "reissue" models