General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Letter To Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
The demise of the VROD is a shame, but it was a good idea poorly executed-a sportbike engine in a cruiser frame. Brings to mind Jacques Cousteau's comment about mermaids-"when you want a fish, you have a woman, and when you want a woman, you have a fish".
You may be right-But.I think or guess if they spent some real dollars marketing it would have taken off.
I think right now someone else is using a version of that engine.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:04 PM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Think about it for a minute. If he was the "legend" he claims to be he would have enough money to just buy all the Harley stock, take the company private and then fix all the problems so it would "triple" sales like every other company he has been associated with.
The "legend" was clearly just a joke.

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
No, it makes you a delivery boy who thinks he knows more than everyone else. Get over yourself.

I’ve said it before. The big surge in bike sales over the last 20 years, especially HD’s, has been the baby boomers buying their mid life crisis bikes, bikes when they were financially ready to (kids out of the house, house paid off, etc), and as their retirement presents.

The market is now trending back down. Not really that hard to see and correlate to generational age brackets.
I don't understand the need for insults or being called names. I have not ever insulted or called a name in a discussion anyone on this forum with a comment or opinion they had about something. I made clear that I researched this and have been giving the findings of this research. I have talked with over 2,000 motorcycle riders at the dealerships, people just riding around town, people at charity motorcycle events, salesmen/women, sales and finance managers at the dealerships, mechanics/service managers at some of the dealerships, people on this forum and some employees of the Kansas City plant. "get over yourself" is a comment that sounds like I woke up one day and thought I know everything. If these are my comments and over 2,000 other people, I don't know what that has to do with me needing to get over myself.

[QUOTE=roussfam;17407853]
Originally Posted by CobraRacer

I took marketing in high school and I have a plan for that and a documentary "on the turn around of an American Legend" and I can probably get some Rock Stars involved.

Best post of the day!
I know people on the local radio stations and some of the local dealerships that have sold to and are friends with several famous people that also ride Harley Davidsons. I don't think it is crazy to think that some of them would not be open to helping keep the Kansas City plant open and helping Harley Davidson and some of the local dealerships out. Several of the local dealerships have had several events every year that were because of the local plant.

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I don't have the time to delve into a major debate over your marketing genius, but this caught me so off guard, I had to reply.

You were looking at a Breakout as a travel bike and you think the Moco is the problem here. In all of your vast education, someone should have taught you "the right tool for the job".
As I said on a previous thread, what I want in a "travel motorcycle" for me is for it to be comfortable and be fast. I don't need or want a windshield, storage or a radio. I only care about the comfort of the motorcycle on a long distance trip and smoking a dumbass in a car like a Challenger wanting to race me at a stop light.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:42 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I don't want to dismiss the issues faced by the employees who will be affected by the closure. It is always tough to lose a job. But plant closings happen all the time. Always have. Always will. Ask Detroit, which is now a dilapidated ghost town. Its not just Harley. All the auto manufacturers do this. Plant closures are the nature of any manufacturing business. Products go out of style.Or taxes go up and a manufacturer moves operations to a locale offering a better deal. Or offshore manufacturers offer to assemble parts for a lot less. Not much you can do in the end.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

You want as retro as HD will ever get again in the future get one of these. I expect the Deluxe will be put out of existence soon. Heritage lost all its Heritage in 18 never to return.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:50 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
If HD wants to create demand for it's products, it must reduce supply.
Not trying to be a d*ck here, but this is not how it works. Harley cannot create demand: not possible. The demand for motorcycles is determined by the market. Harley did a pretty good job of marketing over the last 20 years selling a lifestyle that appealed to Baby Boomers who felt nostalgic for the 50's and 60's, wanted to own a motorcycle, and had some disposable income. It worked. That demand was successfully tapped by HD. But, it already existed; all they did was provide the supply.

If HD were to reduce supply, it would help to maintain prices or raise prices. But, they would also forfeit market share. It has always been a balancing act for Harley: dominate one niche, or try and be the "be all end all" motorcycle manufacturer. They chose the former. HD dominates the big displacement cruiser market. No one comes close. If Harley wants to attract more owners, they are going to have to step out of their niche and try and compete for demand from other types of motorcycle owners. The VRod was a failed attempt and the Street is their latest attempt.

Honestly. I think for HD to tap other markets, they are probably going to have to buy another brand that has an established line-up. That, or be an early entrant in a new market, like electric bikes. Right now, that market is wide open with only one serious provider: Zero.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Weird how screwed up the USA has become.

There was a time, not all that long ago, when a man who thought he really and truly knew what the market needed...that he knew a better way of doing things...that he had a unique read on the pulse of the buying public and knew exactly how to build the proverbial "better mousetrap"...that man would set himself to making that better mousetrap, sell some, get a toe-hold in the market, attract some capital, grow the company, work his *** off, and eventually go on to become rich. Or not. Most such men fail. But that's ok. There is valor in the effort.

In America today, that man doesn't even consider that path. Instead, he thinks what he needs is to somehow get the attention of the very people who he is convinced are doing it wrong, and that somehow, by sheer force of his irresistible brilliance, they will adopt his ideas (naturally, they, not him, are the one's putting hundreds of millions of dollars at risk on his ideas) and a great bountiful harvest of money will fall from the trees.

What's particularly weird about all that, even more than the unlimited egotism it takes to think you can even do it, is that it has literally never happened. Ever. No one has ever shown up a some big company and said "Yes, I realize I have absolutely zero experience in your industry, but trust me. I can run this place better than you guys. Just put me in charge and get ready to carry buckets of cash to the bank!" and had them say "Damn! He's right! Put him in charge!!"

OP, if you think you know how to run a motorcycle company, that's good. Start one.

The following 6 users liked this post by 0maha:
AJSHOVEL (06-04-2018), Greezey Rider (06-09-2018), IzzoQuazzo (06-03-2018), QNman (06-11-2018), skratch (06-03-2018), SPRINGER (06-03-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:17 PM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Weird how screwed up the USA has become.

There was a time, not all that long ago, when a man who thought he really and truly knew what the market needed...that he knew a better way of doing things...that he had a unique read on the pulse of the buying public and knew exactly how to build the proverbial "better mousetrap"...that man would set himself to making that better mousetrap, sell some, get a toe-hold in the market, attract some capital, grow the company, work his *** off, and eventually go on to become rich. Or not. Most such men fail. But that's ok. There is valor in the effort.

In America today, that man doesn't even consider that path. Instead, he thinks what he needs is to somehow get the attention of the very people who he is convinced are doing it wrong, and that somehow, by sheer force of his irresistible brilliance, they will adopt his ideas (naturally, they, not him, are the one's putting hundreds of millions of dollars at risk on his ideas) and a great bountiful harvest of money will fall from the trees.

What's particularly weird about all that, even more than the unlimited egotism it takes to think you can even do it, is that it has literally never happened. Ever. No one has ever shown up a some big company and said "Yes, I realize I have absolutely zero experience in your industry, but trust me. I can run this place better than you guys. Just put me in charge and get ready to carry buckets of cash to the bank!" and had them say "Damn! He's right! Put him in charge!!"

OP, if you think you know how to run a motorcycle company, that's good. Start one.
As I have said several times, this is the information I learned in my research that involved over 2,000 motorcycle riders and people working at the dealerships and the KC plant. While I have given my opinion, most of what I have been saying has been what I have learned in these discussions with over 2,000 people and comments of people on this forum. How exactly does that mean "I can run this place better than you guys"? What part of I can gather a "team" together means that "I can run this place better than you guys"? I never said hire me as the new CEO. There are people being hired monthly in a large corporation to run some department or be part of some team.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 06-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:47 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraRacer
As I have said several times, this is the information I learned in my research that involved over 2,000 motorcycle riders and people working at the dealerships and the KC plant. While I have given my opinion, most of what I have been saying has been what I have learned in these discussions with over 2,000 people and comments of people on this forum. How exactly does that mean "I can run this place better than you guys"? What part of I can gather a "team" together means that "I can run this place better than you guys"? I never said hire me as the new CEO. There are people being hired monthly in a large corporation to run some department or be part of some team.
Slice it any way you like, the bottom line remains: You think you know how to run things better than the guys running things, and expect to do so, but to do so on someone else's dime. That's called not having any skin in the game.

Without skin in the game, you're just another drunk telling everyone within ear shot how brilliant you are, from the stool, at the end of the bar.

The following 7 users liked this post by 0maha:
Campy Roadie (06-03-2018), Greezey Rider (06-09-2018), QNman (06-11-2018), rjo3491 (06-09-2018), RollaMo (06-03-2018), SPRINGER (06-03-2018), Tony P (06-13-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I've never met anyone that impressed me with skills or intelligence that had to tell me about it.

The following 7 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
BgDadddy (06-04-2018), chuckw2 (06-03-2018), crazytown (06-07-2018), Greezey Rider (06-09-2018), SgtThump (06-04-2018), SPRINGER (06-03-2018), will2002 (06-05-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I wonder how the OP feels about counter steering.

The following 6 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
Campy Roadie (06-03-2018), chuckw2 (06-03-2018), crazytown (06-07-2018), DanHappy (06-06-2018), SPRINGER (06-03-2018), Yamaharley (06-03-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Open Letter To Harley Davidson