General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two (or more) in the Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
I can fully understand where you're coming from with the SG and a Deuce. I had always loved the Softail models but the Deuce, although I realize it was the Black Sheep of Softails, really jumped out at me. I found a really good deal on this one and jumped. On one of my trips to the Tail of the Dragon I decided on riding the Deuce. It ended up being probably the best Dragon ride ever for me. Good luck with your search.

Really nice Deuce! Please share some details - what year, where did you find it, what did you pay, etc. It might help me find one!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

If you LOVE motorcycles,there is no such thing as too many....

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

As somebody else mentioned two bikes for two different reasons. The Duke scratches the itches the Harley-Davidson can't reach, or is it the other way round?

Tony P (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:37 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I have 3...I didn't intend for it to happen that way, but it just did. Problem is I never unload an old one when I buy a new one. I won't swear off a new NEW bike, but buying used is always good - there are so many bikes that aren't molested and hardly ridden. Plus, I mod the hell out of them anyway (just see the threads in my signature for details on that!).

Anyway, I have a 2010 CVO Street Glide that I converted to a Road Glide. It's my draft horse and gets all the long haul duties, but is still well mannered around town. It's a forever bike, I'll never get rid of it - too many memories and with the Fuel Moto 126" engine, it's too much fun.

Second is a 2011 Road King Classic. Sees plenty of day rides, but wouldn't be as comfortable for the really long hauls since it's fairingless.

Third is a 2006 Softail Springer Classic. No storage, so I'm limited to pockets and the occasional backpack. I've done 500 mile days on it, but the weather in CO is so dynamic, it's not always easy to plan a full day ride without any means of storage for gear.

If you can afford it, why not?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I have 3...I didn't intend for it to happen that way, but it just did. Problem is I never unload an old one when I buy a new one. I won't swear off a new NEW bike, but buying used is always good - there are so many bikes that aren't molested and hardly ridden. Plus, I mod the hell out of them anyway (just see the threads in my signature for details on that!).

Anyway, I have a 2010 CVO Street Glide that I converted to a Road Glide. It's my draft horse and gets all the long haul duties, but is still well mannered around town. It's a forever bike, I'll never get rid of it - too many memories and with the Fuel Moto 126" engine, it's too much fun.

Second is a 2011 Road King Classic. Sees plenty of day rides, but wouldn't be as comfortable for the really long hauls since it's fairingless.

Third is a 2006 Softail Springer Classic. No storage, so I'm limited to pockets and the occasional backpack. I've done 500 mile days on it, but the weather in CO is so dynamic, it's not always easy to plan a full day ride without any means of storage for gear.

If you can afford it, why not?

Three beauties!

Redbeard719 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
Really nice Deuce! Please share some details - what year, where did you find it, what did you pay, etc. It might help me find one!
My Deuce was a 2001 and found it in 2012 on ebay. It belonged to a member of a NASCAR racing team in Mooresville, NC. I bought it as it appears in the picture for $7500 with less than 15k miles. I wouldn't call it a steal but was a top notch bike that was well maintained. I was patient and looked for quite some time.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

I have three bikes, a 18 CVO road glide, I ride it on my trips and long day rides. I also have my 13 CVO King, my hot rod, 138.5 HP and 140 Torque. I love it in the twisties, and mountains, I do 250~300 mile day trips on it. I have my 03 Fatboy with a 21 front wheel and custom rims, fenders and so on. I use it for bike night, bike shows and 100 mile rides.

My wife has her 17 Road glide special for trips and long day rides/ She also has her 09 Heritage she uses locally and for up to 300 mile day rides.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

OP here again - the reason I posted this thread, is that I have been searching for a Softail Deuce for a while, to add to my garage as a "bar-hopper" & second bike. I have my long-distance, multi-day & 2-up 2018 SG so I wanted something just for me to play around on.

I took a little leap of faith and grabbed a 2006 FXSTDI online, because: the price was right, it will be a good platform to do mods to make it fit me, the seller had good feedback with online and showroom sales, and I liked the look of the matte black paint! Waiting for it to be shipped to me next week.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:50 PM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

I have 4 cause I wanted em. Still other ones out there that I want but haven't found yet.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm back down to three and it will probably stay at that count due to space limitations. On the lift is a 1982 BMW R100 I just finished the top end on, was an RT but I built it as an "S". In the center in my recently acquired 2013 Road King , and on the right is a 1983 BMW R80ST which I recently rebuilt as a local and back road bomber bike.

Photo taken this morning on the Foothills Parkway doing some break in miles.

R80ST from last year.

Quick Reply: Two (or more) in the Garage?