General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I would recommend a cheep jap bike maybe 650 ish then practice practice practice ride all you can but take the safety riding course first. If you are meant to ride you will pick it up in a short time then once you get some miles in your *** come back and ash us again

Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I started on a Honda trail and street when I was 13 years old. Rode the crap out of that little bike for 2 years. When I turned 19 got another trail and street suzuki 175? Took the week long drivers course at USAF base (required to ride on base). Rode that bike 2 years then got a chance to buy a Suzuki 850G. Big step up...Rode that bike for two years until I went to Europe for 18 months. Came home drove it a few more months then sold it in 1983. I was without a bike many years until about 5 years ago, bought a little suzuki 800 CC bike that I rode a few months, then upsized to a Honda 1300, BMW K75, then Harley Road King, then Ultra Limited, and finally 2017 Road Glide special...Some of these I owned simultaneously....So with my riding experience I kind of agree with some of the well seasoned guys in recommending you start with something smaller and easy to handle, take the riders course....ride the bike in all kinds of conditions, get used to it and riding among the fools in cars....Then go get your cruiser.....These Harley M8s I believe are too much bike for a beginner...IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
NORTY FLATZ (06-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Quimbus2000
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n5tf
I started on a Honda trail and street when I was 13 years old. Rode the crap out of that little bike for 2 years. When I turned 19 got another trail and street suzuki 175? Took the week long drivers course at USAF base (required to ride on base). Rode that bike 2 years then got a chance to buy a Suzuki 850G. Big step up...Rode that bike for two years until I went to Europe for 18 months. Came home drove it a few more months then sold it in 1983. I was without a bike many years until about 5 years ago, bought a little suzuki 800 CC bike that I rode a few months, then upsized to a Honda 1300, BMW K75, then Harley Road King, then Ultra Limited, and finally 2017 Road Glide special...Some of these I owned simultaneously....So with my riding experience I kind of agree with some of the well seasoned guys in recommending you start with something smaller and easy to handle, take the riders course....ride the bike in all kinds of conditions, get used to it and riding among the fools in cars....Then go get your cruiser.....These Harley M8s I believe are too much bike for a beginner...IMHO.
Thanks man I appreciate it. And the other comments too. That’s why I’m coming here first. There is a safety course locally that I already plan to take. That was a definite from day one. And I have no problem working my way up to what I eventually want.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

So it begins...again...

Old 06-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Quimbus2000
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big- mike
I would recommend a cheep jap bike maybe 650 ish then practice practice practice ride all you can but take the safety riding course first. If you are meant to ride you will pick it up in a short time then once you get some miles in your *** come back and ash us again
Thanks Mike I appreciate that.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Many of us here did not start on a cheap Jap bike....we started riding what we wanted to ride and contrary to some belief we all survived. I've said it before and I'll say it again if you wanted to learn on an Electra Glide and it was the only motorcycle built, and you really wanted to learn, you would..if a Cushman was all that there was, you would learn on a Cushman. Take a safety class, learn the basics on their scooters, buy what you want to ride, and start building hours in the seat. They almost all have a clutch, throttle, front and rear brakes. Stop letting people into your head making decisions for you. If this was hard there would be a lot less of us doing it !!! It's your money...spend it wisely !!!!

The following users liked this post:
FXDXTSport (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Dirty Harry,
If you practice front brake lockups on a Cushman and hit the dirt...
.The wallet and the skin is not going to hurt so bad.

A novice practicing lockups on a full-blown dressor...this I want to see!
It is going to HURT a LOT !

Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,290 Likes on 8,533 Posts

Ask your friends how they started. Also ask them if you can ride their Harley. If they say NO you have your answer

Last edited by 71on72; 06-11-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 PM
SteveRollin
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I ignored all the typical advice and bought a used deluxe for my first bike at age 40. Had literally ridden my dads road king a handful of times over the years and just decided I wanted a softail and would take it slow. That was a year ago and I have no regrets. My only advice would be to look hard at the used bike deals out there. I bought a 2013 with 200 miles on it for 12k. The market is so soft that you can get something very close to new for way cheaper and then if you don’t end up liking for any reason your total cost of ownership is low. Just something to consider. But for me I didn’t want a smaller jap bike at all, so it was get my softail or get nothing. Let us know what you decide.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Quimbus2000
Hello everyone. I’m 45 and starting the process of researching my first bike purchase. The only thing I know so far is that I want a Harley Davidson. I love the look, the sound and I won’t lie, they have the best gear around. So what things do I need to consider? New? Used? I’d like to take a more extended trip someday, but maybe I shouldn’t get a small touring bike right away? Any and all advice, questions would be appreciative.
Maybe not what you want to hear but - dont buy a nice new HD as your first bike- especially a touring bike. Go to Craigslist and buy a small metric bike- maybe even a 250. Learn how to ride for at least a year. Log some miles. Take a safety course (that will also get you an insurance discount). In a year come back and continue the conversation. Going this route will make you a better rider, will keep you alive, and will keep others around you on the road alive.

Good luck.

Last edited by F150HD; 06-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Researching my first bike!