General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Yup, take the class, then let's see if you really want to continue learning...

Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,626 Likes on 6,663 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yup, take the class, then let's see if you really want to continue learning...
Good advice. The primary reason there are so many used bikes on the market with very low miles is that folks buy the bike then attempt to learn to ride & find out that the reality of riding didn't meet their fantasy they envisioned about the riding experience. Learn on a cheap used bike & find out if riding is for you. If it's not, you wont be loosing a lot of money like you would if you bought a new Harley....

Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
The really good riders started B4 8 or 9 yrs old, some b4 age 5
They learned the basics and so much more until it was all reflex.
They honed there skills until a 6th since evolved.
You know you are talking to a Gumbyy rider when he syas i layed it dwn!
In other words, another dweeb that had no Fn clue, locked up the rear brake, and gave up all control to fate!
Not too brilliant.
Now, Its not that you cant learn,, but its huge hurdle.
You need to pick brains, ask the whys, and stay to hail away
from novices that have been riding 40 years on sheer luck and know nothing.
Trailering one's bike to Sturgis once a year and riding around twn hardly accounts for experience.
How can anyone argue with those facts, yet there will be some that will. I see them all the time lately and wonder where the hell they got their endorsement. I stay far, far away from them. Funny thing is, they don't know they can't ride worth a shlt.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Heres the best piece of advice gathering... We have hundreds of similar threads on the forum. Perform a search and you'll be reading for hours...

Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
How can anyone argue with those facts, yet there will be some that will. I see them all the time lately and wonder where the hell they got their endorsement. I stay far, far away from them. Funny thing is, they don't know they can't ride worth a shlt.
ain't that the truth!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Some riders have forty years of experience. ..some have one year's experience forty times!

Lots of good advice in here for the OP. Generally, the truly good advice is the stuff that a neophyte just doesn't wanna hear! She or he just wants to get out on the highway with their pals and cut straight to the badassery. And said pals are saying "Naw, you don't need no Honda Rebel, just buy that Street Glide with the 198 motor...you'll be fine..."

Not so much. ..

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Assuming you already have your endorsement, go to a Harley demo event. The Demo truck goes around to dealers across the country. Should be able to find an event within reasonable distance. Ride the bikes you think you might enjoy. Ride them all. If you buy a bike based just on looks, chances are you probably are not going to end up with the bike you really want to ride. The bike everyone is raving about and you think looks cool might totally suck for you when you actually ride it. Its your money and Harleys are not cheap so make sure you buy it for you, not because someone else said you should get it. There is a big bagger craze so you will hear a lot about them and the Road Glide seems to be catching up on the Street Glide as the latest trendy bike. But if you get influenced by the popularity, again make sure to ride one before deciding. Just my own preferences, but I cannot stand the ride and think they are an abomination. IMO a Sportster is more comfortable on long trips.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Well there are 1,000's of posts about this on the forum. Going to get lots of opinions. Take a good motorcycle course and pay attention to the instructors they know what they are talking about. Buy a "big" bike or a "small" bike? Up to you, take demo rides and choose what you want. My wife took the course through our HD dealer with absolutely zero experience. She then bought a "big" Harley and she loved it and was a good rider. Of course she was nervous (she respected the bike) but loved the way the 700lb bike went down the road, she felt glued to the pavement. She rides slow and cautious through corners which is fine with me. Used or new? Again up to you but if it was me I would go used but make sure you go with the new motor (M8). I have 15K trouble free miles on mine and love it. Yep, someone will jump in and bring up sumping or some other problems, but there are always problems and can be covered with a warranty. Good luck! Ride safe.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
I wouldn't argue a single point he made. I just have a different experience, and made different decisions. First bike was a Road King Classic that spent many nights in empty parking lots, working slow speed riding and technique. I didn't start riding until 2010, but I've spent more time practicing than most that have ridden twice as long, simply to avoid being the guy that everyone is talking about here and make myself a safe rider. Am I as skilled as a lifetime rider that started out when he was 5? No way in hell. Would never claim to be, but I am more skilled than most casual riders. Still can't do a full front brake lock stop though... Might be due to my anti-lock brakes.

My point is there is more than one way to skin a cat if you're determined enough. If you're going to start out on a big twin, make sure it has an engine guard. If you do lay it down practicing low speed full lock u-turns and such, it will save you a lot of money and maybe even a leg injury.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM
keener3rd
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quimbus2000
Hello everyone. I’m 45 and starting the process of researching my first bike purchase. The only thing I know so far is that I want a Harley Davidson. I love the look, the sound and I won’t lie, they have the best gear around. So what things do I need to consider? New? Used? I’d like to take a more extended trip someday, but maybe I shouldn’t get a small touring bike right away? Any and all advice, questions would be appreciative.
I was in a very similar situation last year and bought my first motorcycle at 45. My band played a few gigs in Sturgis and I got bit by the bug bad. My first time riding was in a motorcycle safety class and I went with a 1200 Nightster (blacked out sportster) at the recommendation of an experienced rider. After the class, I started out riding the back roads with 30-40 mph speed limits to get comfortable with the bike before venturing onto the interstate and that worked well for me. It’s plenty of bike for me (5”8, 155) and I’ve added saddlebags and a sissy bar capable of holding a luggage rack for weekend trips with my girlfriend. I’d recommend buying used because you can get a really good deal. My bike is a cherry ‘09 that had 5,300 miles on it and I paid $4,800. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Researching my first bike!