General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
OK coach- when do you teach new rider emergency drills?
Sometime in the near future?
anytime in the far future?
next year?
Or just tell them to ride with their friends and they will figure it out..............
One of things you MUST pass on the UK test is a high speed swerve, you are measured through a speed gate and must be travelling at over 30 mph and then have to take 'swerve' as if a vehicle has pulled out in front of you. All the manoeuvre techniques are done in a controlled environment, only if you pass that stage do you take the final test which is on the open road with an examiner following you giving you directions via bluetooth.
Riders taking and passing the UK tests (there is a total of 4) to get their licence deserve to be on the road and best prepared as possible.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,382 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
. I figured if I "outgrew" the Iron in 6 months and learned and had a safe experience then it would be money well spent.
One of the best statements in the thread!!!

The following users liked this post:
tomcatg (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

There’s no right answer for this question, but if there was it would probably be get training. And then get more training. Training is like sex - you can never have too much.

The question of what the right bike is becomes easier to answer if you know how to ride, period. The variables about physical traits, riding style, personal preferences are easier to pin down if you know the rider has a basic understanding of how to ride. A larger bike will inherently be more difficult to ride, especially in an emergency situation, simply because of physics. But that doesn’t mean a novice rider can’t start on a larger bike. But if the novice rider on a big bike is a smaller person and has no training, well, that just increases the risk exponentially.

Riding motorcycles is a risk, regardless of experience. But you can mitigate the risk by riding a properly sized bike. And wearing the right gear. And getting trained. And not riding like a dumbass.

So with all that being said, OP, you have a lot of stuff to consider before you can think about asking which bike is right for you. You’ll know it when you meet it.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Desrosiers
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents on this topic. I was exactly in the same situation. First time rider at 35, never had licence or any experience on a motorcycle. In Canada there is the graduated licence system (M1 = Written test only; M2 = Course+parking lot test ....wait two years..long road test = M = full licence). Took the MTO course where they had bikes to use for the course, completed the training/parking lot test (worth every penny!!!). Now that I could ride I did not jump in and get a Harley. I purchased a used 2006 Suzuki C50 ($2500) and learned on that for two years. More courses then completed my M licence with it. Two years of experience on that bike gave me the confidence to handle whatever Harley I chose. This gave me two years to check out different bikes, HD test rides, etc.. In the end I settled on 2012 CVO softail convertible and love it. Be patient and enjoy the process, be safe, wear the gear, take all the courses you can, use your signals and you will have fun for years to come.

Last edited by Desrosiers; 06-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Desrosiers:
AJSHOVEL (06-20-2018), tomcatg (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
My experience may be different than yours....
But- MOST riders never become pilots of their bike.
NEVER!
"....pilots of their bike." Wow, that is trippy man.

Last edited by Hey Man; 06-19-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Not Too trippy......
Boat capt are called nautical pilots.
Thinking outside the box just a little gets us
beyond the linear and the literal of the most obvious.
Fliers of ANY aircraft are referred to as pilots.
Be it balloons, LSA, Experimental, etc.
So can the word pilot be transcribed to the definition of an accomplished person in control of a motorcycle?
I am not the first to use it in that way at all!'
The brazen facts if we like them or not, "most people are barely in control" of their bikes.
No, they are not pilots but riders.
As I have stated over and over, most people are very clueless as to how to do much more than very standard issue stuff.
For instance-
How many feet to stop at 60 MPH?
20? 40? 100? 200????????
If they ride two up have they practiced with the handicap?
ETC ETC
The main point is, we do not have to stay on the sidelines of stupid.
When we cross Harley riders with tested know how we get a huge amount of hubris
Mixed with a good portion of arrogance.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quimbus2000
Hello everyone. I’m 45 and starting the process of researching my first bike purchase. The only thing I know so far is that I want a Harley Davidson. I love the look, the sound and I won’t lie, they have the best gear around. So what things do I need to consider? New? Used? I’d like to take a more extended trip someday, but maybe I shouldn’t get a small touring bike right away? Any and all advice, questions would be appreciative.
No matter what you do, do NOT get a Sportster, period. If you get a Sportster you will get rid of it within a few years when you figure out it is too small and too under powered. And don't let the dinks on here try and argue different. Best advice I ever got I am now giving you.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
No matter what you do, do NOT get a Sportster, period. If you get a Sportster you will get rid of it within a few years when you figure out it is too small and too under powered. And don't let the dinks on here try and argue different. Best advice I ever got I am now giving you.
☝️ What he said

Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
I bought my first Sportster after owning/riding many different motorcycles, and 39 years after I began riding on the street. Safety considerations aside, I would suggest getting some experience actually riding on the street before going too deeply in debt purchasing a first motorcycle. Not everybody enjoys the experience, or really knows the best type of scooter for the type of riding they will be doing. 45 is not too old to be concerned with not having enough time to get some personal understanding of the issue before making that first purchase.

IMO there are far more important considerations then "they have the best gear around".

Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I bought a Road King Classic as a first bike and didn't die. I'm pretty much Superman though, so there's that. Average humans shouldn't try to do the things I do, because I'm pretty special.

Quick Reply: Researching my first bike!