General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quin Crafts a Smart Helmet For Improved Safety

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Quin Crafts a Smart Helmet For Improved Safety

Quin Crafts a Smart Helmet For Improved Safety
By Alberto Cintron

Tradition meets tech makes these helmets that focus on bringing safety into the world of "smart" gear.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

how about technology to stop people from using their smart phones while driving, and turning left in front of bikers. That's really what's needed.

The following users liked this post:
drcollie (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
how about technology to stop people from using their smart phones while driving, and turning left in front of bikers. That's really what's needed.
Amen to that!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Seems like an answer in search of a question to me. Keep your head on a swivel, and your own distractions to a minimum, and you will be miles ahead and safer than someone who uses "tech" to keep them safe.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I thought we read about this a year or two ago. Maybe it was just something similar. A start-up company taking pre paid pre-orders, then going belly-up...

Edit....
Found it. Maybe the design was picked up from the wreckage by another company

http://fortune.com/2016/08/14/fraud-...ns-hud-skully/

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 06-14-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
Seems like an answer in search of a question to me. Keep your head on a swivel, and your own distractions to a minimum, and you will be miles ahead and safer than someone who uses "tech" to keep them safe.
While this is good advice that I fully agree with, I believe that well integrated "tech" in a helmet will be beneficial. It's been proven to reduce workload, increase awareness and improve performance in jet fighter and helicopter cockpits - where everyone actually IS trying to kill you.

For example, video cameras for ride recording (automatic cloud uploading, so even if someone hits you and the camera gets destroyed, you still have access to the vital evidence), rear view etc.... Noise cancelling to reduce wind noise and distraction and preserve hearing.... Heads-up displays to let you keep your eyes on the road rather than looking down at speedos, tachs, satnavs etc.... auto reporting of crashes - and the ability to call emergency services automatically - and guide them to the exact location. High quality audio - great for tunes. Mesh networking so you can talk to your riding buddies easily. The ability to designate targets by eye and fire Hellfire missiles and 20mm cannon rounds at them (oh...wait....) And of course the one everyone hates (including me)...integrated phone/messaging services. Yes, that's one distraction too far although many people do need to take calls or be in full time communication - think LEO for example.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
While this is good advice that I fully agree with, I believe that well integrated "tech" in a helmet will be beneficial. It's been proven to reduce workload, increase awareness and improve performance in jet fighter and helicopter cockpits - where everyone actually IS trying to kill you.

For example, video cameras for ride recording (automatic cloud uploading, so even if someone hits you and the camera gets destroyed, you still have access to the vital evidence), rear view etc.... Noise cancelling to reduce wind noise and distraction and preserve hearing.... Heads-up displays to let you keep your eyes on the road rather than looking down at speedos, tachs, satnavs etc.... auto reporting of crashes - and the ability to call emergency services automatically - and guide them to the exact location. High quality audio - great for tunes. Mesh networking so you can talk to your riding buddies easily. The ability to designate targets by eye and fire Hellfire missiles and 20mm cannon rounds at them (oh...wait....) And of course the one everyone hates (including me)...integrated phone/messaging services. Yes, that's one distraction too far although many people do need to take calls or be in full time communication - think LEO for example.

The military may not be a good analogy to this tech, however, as there is a LOT of training, both initial and ongoing that keeps the aircrew sharp using that tech. It is NOT an out of the box, here, ya go have at it proposition. Unless and until there is a decent level of integration and training with this stuff for general users, it seems like an information overload. Also, the information given and available is usually limited to the task at hand, and therefore is relevant. cameras, I can see. that WILL be beneficial in the event of an accident, the heads up, ehhh, ride with the flow of traffic, and its not usually needed, the integrated maps, I would mark as downright dangerous, depending on the level of sophistication (think of early GPS directions, TURN LEFT NOW!!!! type stuff). The phone, again, downright dangerous and distracting to a driver, let alone a rider.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I have this same system on my BMW X4, its simply a heads-up display. And its terrific, I really like it. Having said that, I won't pre-order anything until the company has a product its ready to ship.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

So if you're not smart in the head, you can place smart over and around the head.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,094 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have this same system on my BMW X4, its simply a heads-up display. And its terrific, I really like it. Having said that, I won't pre-order anything until the company has a product its ready to ship.
Yea, this is really nuthin' new...Chevy had a heads up display in their Corvettes from 20 years ago.

Looks too distracting for a motorcycle helmet, I'd have to pass on this.

Quick Reply: Quin Crafts a Smart Helmet For Improved Safety