General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three motorcycle fatalities in VA This Weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
Sorry man. Didnt think of it that way. Just wanted to give a stay safe reminder..
Ah, don't worry about it. I actually read about crashes and even watch crash video to learn from other's mistakes (like passing a long line of cars on a country road in a no passing zone).
No offense to the other guy who objected to your initial comment by the way.

The following users liked this post:
tomcatg (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have never understood posters needs to announce fatal bike accidents. Then say be careful. What a BFO(blinding flash of the obvious). If they are on a car or truck forum do they post all the fatal accidents there also? How about those that fall down steps or in the tub/shower? Can't leave out gun deaths, drowning, planes, electrocution, mountain climbing and on and on.

The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
tomcatg (06-19-2018), Tony P (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 05:04 AM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have never understood posters needs to announce fatal bike accidents. Then say be careful. What a BFO(blinding flash of the obvious). If they are on a car or truck forum do they post all the fatal accidents there also? How about those that fall down steps or in the tub/shower? Can't leave out gun deaths, drowning, planes, electrocution, mountain climbing and on and on.
Agreed. It was a knee jerk reaction to post it.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Agreed. It was a knee jerk reaction to post it.
Well I would not feel that way at all.

For those that don't want to read it you should simply ignore the thread.

I appreciate the reminder of how dangerous our roads and driver are. I appreciate learning and hopefully avoiding a similar situation and also what roadways to avoid.

OP you are letting these guys run all over you and you are entitled to your opinion same as they are.

God bless and "RIDE SAFE"

The following 7 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
cficole (06-20-2018), chromepony (06-20-2018), Redoilokie (06-19-2018), rick601 (06-19-2018), shorelasHD (06-19-2018), tomcatg (06-19-2018), Torky_SOB (06-21-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 AM
rick601
Banned
Received 3,952 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I know at my work we dissect any accident to look for preventable factors. To make ourselves and others a little safer and more aware. That is kinda my default setting and that was my intention when I posted, I didn't mean to be such a bummer with this post but I will consider it a lesson learned on my part. I hope you don't give up riding bulkman2008, but ride safely for many more years. I just saw several guys riding this weekend with unsafe behavior and in my head and I was thinking.."Dude you are too close, you can't see crap in front of you!" Some young guy riding about 4 feet off the bumper of a minivan, in a high traffic area running about 50 mph. Maybe I was more aware after seeing the news..I don't know..I just can't ever remember this kind of weekend. Again sorry to the group if I was a bummer as that was not my intent.
no apology required

tomcatg (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

It's not just motorcycle fatalities, it seems to be a lot of road incidents all the time.. I try to make sure I ride defensive, pay attention to my surrounding a lot and avoid the high risk factors such as night time riding for example. We do live in a day and age where there are more distractions than ever. We got a lot of people who don't respect laws on the roads too (not just speed limit, I'm talking driving with revoked licenses etc...). I tried hanging it up a couple years ago when my daughter was born but without the joy of riding/commuting daily, I felt like I was spinning into depression. So, I now ride understanding it very well could be me but I'll do everything in my power to enjoy every minute of life.

Ride as safe as you can everyone, we should all work together to promote better control in our country over factors that make our experience more dangerous.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I tell people that when I leave the house on the bike I always anticipate an accident....I have been riding like this for 15 plus years. It doesn’t guarantee I will never get hurt but it helps...So many threats out there...
There are a lot of new riders also that after a few thousand miles think they are fully accomplished riders and push the limits of their machines and talents to a point that borders dangerous....
Almost as bad as a keyboard Commando.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 06-19-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM
tankthebiker
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts

I saw those as well. I am from Roanoke and will be making trips to visit the families.

The following 2 users liked this post by tankthebiker:
Fat_Boy (06-20-2018), tomcatg (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 AM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

I appreciate the reminder of how dangerous our roads and driver are. I appreciate learning and hopefully avoiding a similar situation and also what roadways to avoid.

OP you are letting these guys run all over you and you are entitled to your opinion same as they are.

Thanks Cosmic Razorback, I appreciate the sentiment. I have had a lot of pro and con comments and have thought about it a good deal. Looking back I would have either not posted it or would have went at it differently. I don't think I would have titled my thread like that as it is a bummer. I have run into it myself from people the first thing out of their mouth is "those things are dangerous!" like I don't know that..and like everyone on this forum knows it as well.

I personally see things like these and try to learn from them so I don't repeat the mistake that caused the accident if possible. I am still learning as I have been riding again for less than a year..so I am like a sponge on this forum and Youtube etc. MCRider and some other folks with a lot of wisdom to share and I try to get as much as I can. I am also old and thick skinned so didn't take anything personal. God Bless and Ride Safe as well friend!

Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

I tried, but I couldn't help myself. Apparently, I'm into morbid posts that remind me I could die on my motorcycle. Talking about killjoy!

Cosmic Razorback (06-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Three motorcycle fatalities in VA This Weekend!